Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

removal of OEM tenere 700 crash guards

ahamay

Question

I bought the travel pack on my T7. Everything installed by the dealer. I was checking tightness of mounting bolts for the crash bars, the OEM model. Attachment of the rearmost bolt is deep in a hollow. The nut is on the bikes left side and apparently captive. Looking in to the hollow on the right (Clutch) side I can see a bolt head. Not able to get a socket on it. Socket on a 5-6" extension. Cannot get a socket engaged. 

Who has installed OEM bars on their bike? How did you handle this point of attachment? Size of nut?

I am stuck.

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

I ran into the same dilemma.  Thus I have the same question.

Listening...

I also noticed a missing front engine-mount bolt on the clutch side (for the engine huard).  After a bunch of research, I found that the missing bolt is a M12-1.25 x 30mm JIS Flange Bolt...I hope  It's on order.

I have the OEM crash bars. I didn't remember being difficult when I had them off for some other work. Anyway, I went out and checked for you guys. The nut on the left side requires an 8" extension and is a 14mm hex nut. The bolt on the right side also requires an 8" extension as you have to pull the clutch lever in and slide the extension past the lever on the case. The head of the bolt is a 17mm. I used standard Snap-On sockets to get in there. Not problems at all.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

This is what I want to say in the previous post (supposing you have not a more appropiated wrench to remove it, obviously):

quitar-barra.jpg

• Thanks 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

17 hours ago, Ol'crazy said:

I removed the bars several times and used a long, flat screwdriver to hold the screw in place while loosening the nut.

That's what I did to put them on. Side plastics can come off with bars on so I've never had to remove them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fiddyone said:

Side plastics can come off with bars on so I've never had to remove them.

I done it for painting it. And soon I will retouch them again. Too many scars ... 😋

yami-pinar-la-isabela.jpg

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

On 9/17/2020 at 4:08 AM, Fiddyone said:

That's what I did to put them on. Side plastics can come off with bars on so I've never had to remove them.

How do you get to the lower torx bolt with the oem bars on? I cant even get a torx bit wedged in between bars and the bolt?

5 hours ago, EzzySurf said:

How do you get to the lower torx bolt with the oem bars on? I cant even get a torx bit wedged in between bars and the bolt?

Use a 8mm open end wrench break it loose and unscrew it by hand.

• Like 2