Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First service & oil change.

Adventure6965

Question

I've been having trouble getting my first service done at the dealers as they've been so busy with bikes needing services after lockdown etc & new sales. Also when I have managed to get a slot it's been a rare day here when it's rained. I'm not riding my bike in the rain. Been there, done that for many years as a dispatch rider etc. I said I was happy to do it myself & I usually do all my own servicing anyway. I don't have a great trust with other people fixing my bikes, cars or anything really. I was told that if I did this it would invalidate my warranty. Has anyone else experienced this ? I'm located in France. 

6 answers to this question

it really depends on wher eyou are.

IIRC, in North America namely US and Canada, as long as you keep your record via receipt/pictures/paper documentation while follow proper instruction, your warranty will not fail unless you did something completely stupid (such as use a hammer and bash the bolt loose or something).

However, I have heard places like Germany (correct if I am wrong) that if you touch anything on the bike within warranty period, it gets void...no proof of that except "a friend told me".

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1

Depends upon the stealer (I mean dealer) and the local distributor. Probably not what you want to hear.

I would document everything you do for your service per TimmyTheHog above. The dealer is your warranty advocate to the service rep for the national/area distributor in warranty disputes. Having a good dealer relationship can sometimes mean the difference in getting warranty or not.

That being said, changing your oil using a Yamaha recommended filter and a JASO compatible oil (see your manual) shouldn't affect your warranty at all.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

So during lockdown etc i had similar issue. However i did the oil change myself, took photos of the process and used genuine Yamalube and yamaha oil filter, took picks of engine number etc, and when a slot became available at the dealer for the rest of the work (checks) to be completed emailed them the pics and got my book got stamped. All sorted. I guess it depends on dealer and relationship but i had this done in UK. I rang them first explained the situation and what i wanted to do and they were happy. 

We have a law here in the US that states that just because the dealer didn't do you service, your warranty will Not be voided. Thank the politicians for something!

• Haha 1