Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM handlebars.

Neil

What is the general opinion of the oem handlebars? Good quality, strong bars or cheese? How well do they take a drop? Worth swapping out to Renthals or Pro-Taper?

Ta.

I've dropped my bike a ton and the stock bars are actually pretty dang strong. haven't bent them yet. going to wait till I break my bark busters or bars before replacing them. then ill replace both with those highway dirt bike hand guards and mirrors ❤️

• Like 2

I did bend mine, but keep in mind I also broke the mirror, twisted the forks, destroyed the skid plate, mangled the exhaust, damaged the rear plastic, scratched my face shield and helmet at the same time and ten weeks later my wrist is still wrapped and painful. Note: my SW-Motech hand guards survived with just scratches to the plastic.

I actually think the bars held up as good as any. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UtahJack said:

I did bend mine, but keep in mind I also broke the mirror, twisted the forks, destroyed the skid plate, mangled the exhaust, damaged the rear plastic, scratched my face shield and helmet at the same time and ten weeks later my wrist is still wrapped and painful. Note: my SW-Motech hand guards survived with just scratches to the plastic.

I actually think the bars held up as good as any. 

that just got worse and worse as I kept reading, glad you're ok how fast were you going? what happened? if I can ask.

@Flyinbrianbmx

Extremely rocky descent, extreme lack of experience on a dirt bike, fifty years of tarmac racing, equals oops that left a mark.  Just proves I am a legend only in my own mind.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Are stock steel or aluminum?

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

6 hours ago, rumrum said:

Replaced min with Pro taper. Only reason I wanted a bit more sweep to be comfortable.

I agree.  I think they could use just a little bit mor sweep back. Seems to me standing up is comfortable but sitting down feels a bit strange to me (at 5’11”) 

• Like 1

seems they'll take a drop ok but they dont like being pulled upward, say sliding on the bikes side. bent them a  couple times.. put on some pro taper trials bars and they were the only thing not bent or broken after a proper crash. including my hand :I

20 hours ago, MeefZah said:

Are stock steel or aluminum?

2 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

This does not answer the question

think what he mean is Alum.

• Like 1

Thanks 

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman