Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Brake lights on all the time?

Profimon

Question

Hi All,

Yesterday I noticed that my rear lights on all the time. What to check?

As I understand rear lights during the day should be on only when you are pressing front or rear brakes?

Regards,

Dimitry

5 answers to this question

In my experience with other bikes (don't have the Tenere yet) this is most commonly caused by an out of adjustment rear brake light switch or a rear brake light switch that is stuck due to dirt / debris.   I'd start by looking at the switch (by your right heel as you are astride the bike) and checking for adjustment - debris. 

• Like 4

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

2 hours ago, Profimon said:

Hi All,

Yesterday I noticed that my rear lights on all the time. What to check?

As I understand rear lights during the day should be on only when you are pressing front or rear brakes?

Regards,

Dimitry

Hi Dimitry tail light will be constantly on as a running light and It should get brighter when breaks are applied, hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you Brad,

yes, I thought about but when the brakes аrе applied nothing happens, but all leds in taillight is on.

• Like 2

Yes I have the same problem. I think it must be common as my friends T7 is also doing it. I am going remove the footrest  & bracket and see if it is full of mud as you cant get to it without doing so. The break light is on all the time so must be stuck. 

Just has a look its well hidden and can't get to it without removing the OEM centre stand bash plate and footrest bracket. I will sort in a few weeks when I take the bike off the road as I intend to give the shock, swing arm and everything a good greasing. 

Aa a temporary measure I have unplugged it from behind the off side black panel so the front now works the break light, not exactly legal but better than notworking at all

Edited by Motoadventure

On 1/10/2021 at 5:25 PM, Motoadventure said:

Yes I have the same problem. I think it must be common as my friends T7 is also doing it. I am going remove the footrest  & bracket and see if it is full of mud as you cant get to it without doing so. The break light is on all the time so must be stuck. 

Just has a look its well hidden and can't get to it without removing the OEM centre stand bash plate and footrest bracket. I will sort in a few weeks when I take the bike off the road as I intend to give the shock, swing arm and everything a good greasing. 

Aa a temporary measure I have unplugged it from behind the off side black panel so the front now works the break light, not exactly legal but better than notworking at all

Hi,

Finally I fixed the problem that time. Pay attention to the spring of the rear brake cylinder. It can be removed and adjusted by stretching )).

Regards,

Dimitry