Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 engine hesitation at redline, 4th gear?

loneranger700

As the title implies, I recently hit 1200 on the odo, and today as I was riding back home, I redlined the bike in 4th gear and noticed the engine kind of jumped back and forth a bit as the rev-limiter kicked in. Very strange feeling. The rpm's jumped down a bit then went back up to red-line, then back down again. Felt very odd, almost as if the engine was losing power.

I switched to 5th gear and it went away. I went through red-lining 2nd and 5th gear to see if those had issues too and I could not recreate the issue at all. Rev-limiter bounced very rhythmically and felt no rocking in the bike. But it happens anytime I redline 4th gear and the rev-limiter kicks in.

Gonna take it to the dealership soon but just wanted to see if anyone else's bike ever done this?

• Confused 1

I'm guessing that it's a bike you stole you were testing? Did you warm it up ? Or is the way you warm up a bike? 

• Haha 3

Stop redlining it and then you won’t have much to worry about. This engine is all about torque and flexibility, it doesn't need the nuts reved out of it, unless your some sort of Offroad god and need everyone of the 74 ponies it has to offer. 

Edited by Alf Meister
  • Haha 1

Hah. Yes the bike was properly warmed up. I wanted to redline it on fourth and fifth to get a feel for it. I certainly am not redlining it just to hoon it. I've just never felt the rev-limiter bounce the bike as pronounced and as unrhythmically as it did specifically in a gear that's not below 2 or above 5.

• 1 year later...

My Tracer had limiters programmed into the ECU for 5th and 6th gears. (From the factory)

It was easy to get exactly the effect you're describing in 5th gear.

An ECU flash sorted that as well as another few items.

'praps our T7's have the same to prevent the loonies blowing their motors.

Cant imagine why anyone would feel the need to rev the nuts off of one o' these bikes. 

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

On 9/14/2020 at 9:21 PM, loneranger700 said:

redlined the bike in 4th gear

Yikes.... The only time I ever redlined a street bike was in 1976 when riding home after a Highschool beer party and I miss a shift. It still haunts me to this day.....

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Yikes.... The only time I ever redlined a street bike was in 1976 when riding home after a Highschool beer party and I miss a shift. It still haunts me to this day.....

Soooo, are you going to tell us what you did at the High school beer party that still haunts you to this day? 😉

• Haha 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJW She looked a lot older...

• Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

race bikes, RR's are designed to be redlined, a bit, but they have huge programmable warning lights so you can change before the red line.  I would not want to redline a bike, it's just pushing the motor to a theoretical limit and stressing it to the Max by doing so.  All the while assuming there are no faults in assembly or parts manufacture.  

Honestly, and not proud of it, but redlined mine in 4th and had a similar experience. Haven't tried to kill it in any other gear tho.