Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

North Rim of Grand Canyon trip planning

AZJW

• Moderators

I flew tours for years over the Grand Canyon in the 90's and was always captivated with the remoteness of the North Rim,  especially the Mt. Trumbull and Pt. Sublime areas. Having landed at various points along the rim, I vowed to visit that area on the ground one day and that time is rapidly approaching.  A couple of riding buddies and I are planning a 4 night moto camping trip late next month, weather & NPS permitting.   Dave 6253 on the ADVRider forum has mapped routes that circumnavigate the canyon and have some great camp spots right on the North Rim.  The routes that he has graciously shared, makes putting together a trip much easier than striking out on my own, hoping a route is passable. Like I mentioned,  I've wanted to do this for years and the acquisition of my T7 seems to have been the linchpin in getting this trip rolling.  Things are coming together as far as getting the T7 ready for the trip, Backcountry permits have been applied for, weather gods have been appealed to, etc...  

With campsites such as these, this is gonna be way cool!

62539076_7_8-S.jpg

• Like 6

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Snow, 11 degree (F)  lows and a move have unfortunately postponed this adventure until 2021, but boy will I be ready!

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Booooo on the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We took the road less traveled to Pt Sublime in 2015 and enjoyed it a lot.  We were in a 4WD but that'd be a fun ADV road, too.  Great views and pretty solitary out there; the tourists just follow each other around on the main routes.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

• 2 months later...

this has been on my moto travel list also.  ive been to Toroweap a few times.  once in my jeep and once on moto.  

if u have room for another experienced rider let me know.  currently do not have a group to ride with as everyone i know has transitioned to mountain bikes. lol

i experienced the north rim in the early 2000's .in a car ,unfortunatly. would love to go back but probably never will. i imagine it would be an amazing trip on a bike.

I've been to the North Rim a couple times, always in a car however. One time we hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim as a 3 day, 2 night, hike. I've also paddled the length of the Grand Canyon twice in a kayak with raft support on a private permit, 21 days both times.

Looking forward to your trip report. Once I retire, I'm looking for ideas for places to take my T7.

• Like 1