Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
GreatDistances

Paint protection methods?

GreatDistances

Hey all, I've seen numerous posts with T7 owners noting damage to the finish of the rear plastics from luggage, and was wondering:  what sort of methods / supplies are you using to protect the plastics so you don't suffer the same fate?

Thanks in advance!

johnnygolucky
14 minutes ago, GreatDistances said:

Hey all, I've seen numerous posts with T7 owners noting damage to the finish of the rear plastics from luggage, and was wondering:  what sort of methods / supplies are you using to protect the plastics so you don't suffer the same fate?

Thanks in advance!

Just some clear 3m vinyl tape works great. Lay it on, cut to fit and when you're done with your trip and take your bags off it peals off and the plastic looks good as new. Did a couple thousand miles of touring and off-road with my KTM 690 Enduro and Mosko Moto Reckless 80 and after each trip the vinyl was very very scratched up but peeling it off and the plastic looked new under it. 

Here's what I picked up and it worked great.

s-l400.jpg

3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film protects the leading edge of your vehicle with the application of a thin and virtually undetectable clear urethane film. You get maximum coverage on the most chip prone areas, such as the hood, mirrors, fenders and bumper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GreatDistances

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated.

loneranger700

While nowhere near as good as 3M, I found a super budget material stuff made of clear vinyl material on ebay. I'll see if it ends up being worth my $19!

s-l400.jpg

---Invisible car paint shield. ---Self-adhesive with stretchable material. ---Can be re-lifted, re-positioned, and stretched while installing. ---Easily removable, and will NOT damage to your paint during or after installation. ---Completely waterproof, stain and UV resistant...

• Like 1

bth2

i first used clear vinyl then bought a sticker kit. better fit and looks.

Janson

Skipp the plastic and go for ADVENTURE-SPEC YAMAHA TENERE 700 SIDE LUGGAGE RACK  .And you get a good crash protektion at the same time .

Adventure-Spec Yamaha Tenere 700 Side Luggage Rack

GreatDistances
On 9/16/2020 at 1:16 AM, Janson said:

Skipp the plastic and go for ADVENTURE-SPEC YAMAHA TENERE 700 SIDE LUGGAGE RACK  .And you get a good crash protektion at the same time .

Adventure-Spec Yamaha Tenere 700 Side Luggage Rack

I'm definitely considering these side racks.  I'm running the B&B Off-Road compact rear rack, am wondering if the AdventureSpec side racks would be compatible.

GreatDistances
On 9/16/2020 at 11:31 AM, nelsonccc said:

I picked up these and love it. 

Kind of spendy but already cut to shape and size and pretty thick!

Ah cool!  I'm nowhere near as crafty as some of the other people on this forum so easy solutions like these are definitely appealing to me.  Thanks Nelson!