Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Paint protection methods?

GreatDistances

Hey all, I've seen numerous posts with T7 owners noting damage to the finish of the rear plastics from luggage, and was wondering:  what sort of methods / supplies are you using to protect the plastics so you don't suffer the same fate?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, GreatDistances said:

Hey all, I've seen numerous posts with T7 owners noting damage to the finish of the rear plastics from luggage, and was wondering:  what sort of methods / supplies are you using to protect the plastics so you don't suffer the same fate?

Thanks in advance!

Just some clear 3m vinyl tape works great. Lay it on, cut to fit and when you're done with your trip and take your bags off it peals off and the plastic looks good as new. Did a couple thousand miles of touring and off-road with my KTM 690 Enduro and Mosko Moto Reckless 80 and after each trip the vinyl was very very scratched up but peeling it off and the plastic looked new under it. 

Here's what I picked up and it worked great.

s-l400.jpg

3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film protects the leading edge of your vehicle with the application of a thin and virtually undetectable clear urethane film. You get maximum coverage on the most chip prone areas, such as the hood, mirrors, fenders and bumper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While nowhere near as good as 3M, I found a super budget material stuff made of clear vinyl material on ebay. I'll see if it ends up being worth my $19!

Edit: I just want to say this was a super doable budget option. The material wasnt AS conformable as 3M, but its very, very durable and protective. I used a heat gun to conform it to my fairings. Worked fine. Had to cut it in some spots though because it was just too thick. It's been roughly two months and its holding great with no sign of UV break down!

s-l400.jpg

---Invisible car paint shield. ---Self-adhesive with stretchable material. ---Can be re-lifted, re-positioned, and stretched while installing. ---Easily removable, and will NOT damage to your paint during or after installation. ---Completely waterproof, stain and UV resistant...

Edited by loneranger700
  • Like 1

Skipp the plastic and go for ADVENTURE-SPEC YAMAHA TENERE 700 SIDE LUGGAGE RACK  .And you get a good crash protektion at the same time .

Adventure-Spec Yamaha Tenere 700 Side Luggage Rack

• Like 3

On 9/16/2020 at 1:16 AM, Janson said:

Skipp the plastic and go for ADVENTURE-SPEC YAMAHA TENERE 700 SIDE LUGGAGE RACK  .And you get a good crash protektion at the same time .

Adventure-Spec Yamaha Tenere 700 Side Luggage Rack

I'm definitely considering these side racks.  I'm running the B&B Off-Road compact rear rack, am wondering if the AdventureSpec side racks would be compatible.

On 9/16/2020 at 11:31 AM, nelsonccc said:

I picked up these and love it. 

Kind of spendy but already cut to shape and size and pretty thick!

Ah cool!  I'm nowhere near as crafty as some of the other people on this forum so easy solutions like these are definitely appealing to me.  Thanks Nelson!

I took it to a shop and they freehanded clear 3m tape -- you can't see it. Well worth it.

Piled on a tent, tarp and small chair on a recent trip, along with Touratech luggage. No scuffs.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 11:32 PM, GreatDistances said:

I'm definitely considering these side racks.  I'm running the B&B Off-Road compact rear rack, am wondering if the AdventureSpec side racks would be compatible.

They would probably fit but you'll need to modify or source a correct spacer for the rear side rack mount.  AS supplies a 40mm spacer that replaces the OEM spool and uses a 60mm screw.  From the looks of the B&B rack it looks like it sticks out less than 40mm so you may just need to shorten the supplied spacer and use the supplied bolt.  The spacers are aluminum so they're easy to modify.

J

Edited by Goldentaco

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 12:31 PM, nelsonccc said:

I picked up these and love it. 

Kind of spendy but already cut to shape and size and pretty thick!

Have you tried to remove these, and did it pull the factory stickers off? Also, do the slits between the horizontal and vertical surfaces leave the edge exposed to luggage rash?

12 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Have you tried to remove these, and did it pull the factory stickers off? Also, do the slits between the horizontal and vertical surfaces leave the edge exposed to luggage rash?

I got a set of these.  You can get the parts to line up so there is no gap but expect to spend some time with the heat gun and stretching the film a bit in places. 

I would suggest starting off with one of the long pieces first then the tail piece and then the other long piece. Do the lowers last. 

Unlike colored stickers these show every small bubble or piece of dust trapped under them and it’s REALLY hard to get them to look good.   Layout all the parts on the bike with masking tape before you start so you can get the placement correct. 

if the T7 had regular molded in color dirt bike panels I would not have bothered. Hope these hold up for a while. 

• Like 1

I purchased a small roll 3M 'Ventureshield' from Amazon and stuck it over rear of my bike, behind the seat, I use a roll bag and it protrudes over paintwork a little, no scuffs present after tour, I also fitted Touratech Grab Handles, which keep everything off of the rear/side panel.

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, Spelldrummer said:

I purchased a small roll 3M 'Ventureshield' from Amazon and stuck it over rear of my bike, behind the seat, I use a roll bag and it protrudes over paintwork a little, no scuffs present after tour, I also fitted Touratech Grab Handles, which keep everything off of the rear/side panel.

What were the dimensions of the roll?

I used a spray-on removable wrap where my tank bag would otherwise scratch the paint. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/custom-wrap-3406/paint---body-repair-16614/spray-paints-25279/f5504e6fe716/dupli-color-custom-wrap-11-ounce-clearcoat-spray-paint/cwrc901/4268843?pos=2

it needs several coats, but only a few minutes between each, so easy to do in one evening.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, Stabilo_Boss said:

What were the dimensions of the roll?

Cant remember, not large, enough to cut to shape for rear of seat and side panels below passenger seat. This was before pre cut kits were available.

• Like 1