Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Max Distance per Tank - Booyah!

YukonPete

I've been curious how far I could go on one tank of gas  (filled almost to the top) going at "old man" speed - approximately 85-90 km/h. So yesterday I got a late start and hit the highway for an initial 350 km. I had a few sections were I had to slow to 65-70 km as the highway was being re-chip sealed (Yukon). I returned in the dark with the last bar on the gas gauge solid. So today I put a 1 gallon gas can on the bike and headed down the highway towards Carcross (75 km), thinking that the bike would grind to a halt in under 75 km. Not so. I made it to Carcross, turned around and headed home, figuring the bike would stall at any moment. Well the kilometers just clicked by and soon enough I was back in my drive way at home with gas still in the tank, although it has to be just a few milliliters. Trip meter for when the last bar started flashing says 143 km!! Total distance so far on the tank is 504 km!!!!!! I probably averaged 85 km/h and gauge says 3.4L / 100 km.

Gas Gauge

So the gas gauge is a funny joke being played on us by mischievous Japanese programmer. The first bar on the tank went off only after 175 km (35% of tank). For a while I thought the gauge was stuck. I probably stuffed in an extra liter of gas over a normal fill. The last flashing bar lasted 143 km, so that makes the sum of the first and last bar  318 kilometers, leaving only 186 km for the next 5 bars and the solid 6th bar. Too goofy. I wonder why they just couldn't give us the percentage of the tank left?? Heck, with the last bar flashing there is  almost 30% of the tank left.

Range

This bike has BIG RANGE (500 km) when rode very conservatively (85 km/h). On my 3,000 km ride home a couple weeks ago I got a more realistic 3.9 L/100 km, probably averaging 100 km/h, which means 400+ km per tank.

The gas consumption curve is pretty sweet to about 100 km/h, but increases significantly there after. Anyways, for the way I ride the awesome gas consumption is a big positive surprise.

• Like 8

Thanks for the info Pete, very interesting. My idea of 60-80km's range when the last bar starts flashing looks to be way off. Why Yamaha couldn't just display km's to empty I don't know. The data is all there in the computer, fuel remaining and kms/litre fuel consumption.

• Like 1

I have found my bike to be very economical as well, especially if you keep the speed below 60mph. Last week I had a trip over to Mid Wales for a couple of days. My consumption averaged 72 mpg (UK), on a variety of types of roads and speeds (max was 75mph gps indicated). On the return home (184 miles), I reset the trip and mpg, stuck as much as possible to A roads, but due to traffic, 50% of my journey was around 40 to 50 mph, the other 50% was at higher national speed limits, i.e 60mph on single carriageways and a little bit of dual carriageway at 70mph, I recorded an astounding and genuine 83 mpg (imperial gallons), best I have ever achieved on a motorcycle. 

Having now done almost 2000 miles since I bought it, six weeks ago, I’m pleasantly surprised, at how tractable and economical this CP2 engine is. 

• Like 1

Got 360km before i ran out last 100 reserv was flashing,

Started to try to save fuel with speed around 90 km/h after i realised i was 120km from home and had forgotten my wallet.

Dident make all the way but close enough that i could call for a friend to come and get me some fuel.

Mine seems to have 4 cylinders instead of 2 😄😄... I can't seem to average more than 47mpg uk... But then I can't stop smiling so it doesn't matter... Thank you for the report, it I ever need to push many miles out of the bike at least I know what she is capable of. 

Aleks 

Filled right to the top yesterday and went out for a long cruise mixture of riding. Light flashed then i rode another 25 miles filled it up again and got in 11 litres only so given the miles and fuel left it would have done 235 miles

• Like 1