Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Brake line banjo alignment

ch4kk

Question

Lads,

Had a chat today with a mechanic at the regular workshop I visit. He claims, based on anecdotal evidence (basically recommendations from a HEL rep) that the banjo ends are designed to be attached at a particular alignment relative to the reservoir mount.

I can see how that's designed into the OE parts - see attached picture of the extrusions from the banjo and reservoir case. However, aftermarket hoses/banjos don't have these extrusions... and not all bikes have them either.

Some context: Was fiddling around with the bits and pieces on the handlebar while trying to fit the Cycra guards, ended up adjusting the banjo a little. Since the mechanic's comment, I've changed it back to the original factory position, in the name of safety.

Anyone who's mechanically inclined/experienced would like to chime in? Or is it that not all hoses are made/designed the same? 🤨

IMG_20200829_145848.jpg.152e584b7cb4c2b8c2c9fc2c554cc82a.jpg

9 answers to this question

it really shouldn't matter.

The banjo bolt has a hole for the brake fluid to come out and the banjo fitting has a ring that lines up with the banjo bolt hole.

As long as the fluid can flow from the reservoir thru the hole to the ring and into the brake line, the fitting can rotate any direction it wants.

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, motojunky2@ said:

Ran into the same clearance issue when mounting my handguards, dremeled off the little tab that orients the banjo so I could rotate it a little. Does not cause any problems.

Exactly what I was intending to do, mate, thanks for the insight!

• Like 2

I ran into a similar issue installing my acerbis X factory mounts. My question is this. If I adjust the banjo fitting will I have to bleed the front brakes as air will get in system?

Edited by MRT7

• Moderators
15 hours ago, MRT7 said:

I ran into a similar issue installing my acerbis X factory mounts. My question is this. If I adjust the banjo fitting will I have to bleed the front brakes as air will get in system?

Yes, it'll need to be bled to get any Induced air out.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/2487-highway-dirt-bikes-handguard-install/?do=findComment&comment=28791

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

If you loose it just a little to have it turned than it will just fine.

On 10/25/2022 at 4:49 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

If you loose it just a little to have it turned than it will just fine.

That’s exactly what I was thinking of doing. But now I just ordered OEM bar risers so I don’t need to adjust the line any more because I can properly have the mounting brackets to the handguards  with out them hitting the tank. Pictures below have the brackets upside down in a dry fit but realized I cannot have them like that, so the solution was flip em and bar risers. 

89230DD5-B227-4E9F-9D2A-C6A2AE077A25.jpeg

DBCF4A50-B03B-4A86-9DE8-58D91A2B79C3.jpeg

Doesn't matter. That prong on the stock hose is to aid in alignment during mass assembly. That's why aftermarket hoses don't have it. I rotated my line to point down when I installed my handguards, and 2 years later it's just fine.