Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

After an unintended rapid dismount, something is bent along the control interface. How do I identify exactly what it is?

CasualADV

Question

It's not abundantly clear what is bent. Excuse my language as I'm not 100% sure of the proper terms.

It seems, when I'm going down the road, the risers are not in line with each other. However, at a stop I can't see that they're out of alignment. Could it just be the bars that are bent? I tried to snap a picture, but everything looked ok. 

When going down the road, the nut that's right in the middle of the forks doesn't seem in a straight line with the key, and I would think those would point straight with the tire. The alignment there just seems a very small tad off. But moreso than that, something between the bars and risers is bent, and I cant figure out exactly what it is!

plz help.

7 answers to this question

You may have just knocked the wheel out of alignment, this short video should help.

Also check you haven’t bent the bars. With the bars straight, measure the ends to a fixed point in the centre line of bike. Should be able to see bent bars by eye.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CasualADV said:

That might be it. Would it matter which side I loosen off? I had a fall on the left side. That seems like it could be the culprit. 

I'll measure the bars too. I'll probably check things over better tomorrow.

I'm pretty happy I couldn't find a single scratch on the bike besides the front signal light, and the wind deflector. Barkbusters will be here on Wednesday anyway.

Thanks! I'll report back

Follow what the guy has done in the Vid, loosen both sides of the lower clamp and one side of the axle pinch bolt.

Most important part is do not over tighten the bolts, no sure what the T7 torque is but wouldn't go above 15Nm, follow the vid and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Glad you got it fixed up! It’s a good technique to know how to do because dis-mounting happens. Learning how to properly align the forks and axle can actually make for smoother front suspension action too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alan M said:

You may have just knocked the wheel out of alignment, this short video should help.

Also check you haven’t bent the bars. With the bars straight, measure the ends to a fixed point in the centre line of bike. Should be able to see bent bars by eye.

That might be it. Would it matter which side I loosen off? I had a fall on the left side. That seems like it could be the culprit. 

I'll measure the bars too. I'll probably check things over better tomorrow.

I'm pretty happy I couldn't find a single scratch on the bike besides the front signal light, and the wind deflector. Barkbusters will be here on Wednesday anyway.

Thanks! I'll report back

1 minute ago, CGras said:

I had the same thing after I slipped and fell on the road. The bars looked like they were bent but in the end it was just the alignement of the forks that was out. 

The handle bars are actually pretty tough. I crashed at about 40km/h and the bars hit the road pretty good. Yet they were not bent at all.

Excellent! You guys are making me feel a lot better! Thanks.