Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

HELP engine light after bike flooded

roy826

I pulled the EFI fuse to get it to crank had no choice it was flooded and I owned a super Tenere so knew what happened. Installing the cyclops signals cause it I guess with the key cycling but I had the off/on switch off so who knows. Anyway it was flooded and I got it running but now I have the engine light on dash that won’t go away. I hate euro emissions! So how do I clear the light? Bike runs fine now after getting it cranked. 

Edited by roy826

If the ECU programming is like any other 'current' Euro 4/5 compliant vehicle, several key cycles (5-10) will clear the 'Check Engine' light so long as there is nothing wrong with the engine sensors. Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, then reconnect and it should go out.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

3 hours ago, roy826 said:

I pulled the EFI fuse to get it to crank had no choice it was flooded and I owned a super Tenere so knew what happened. Installing the cyclops signals cause it I guess with the key cycling but I had the off/on switch off so who knows. Anyway it was flooded and I got it running but now I have the engine light on dash that won’t go away. I hate euro emissions! So how do I clear the light? Bike runs fine now after getting it cranked. 

Cycling the key (which cycles the fuel pump) shouldn't cause the bike to become flooded. The old school method of holding the throttle wide open while cranking still clears most flooded engines as the ECU naturally leans out at WOT as the MAP sensor doesn't see the pressure (vacuum) associated with an engine at WOT and running.

8 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Cycling the key (which cycles the fuel pump) shouldn't cause the bike to become flooded. The old school method of holding the throttle wide open while cranking still clears most flooded engines as the ECU naturally leans out at WOT as the MAP sensor doesn't see the pressure (vacuum) associated with an engine at WOT and running.

Already tried the battery disconnect. Yes on a Yamaha FI bike it will cause a flooding issue with key cycling and no cranking. The Super Tenere would do it if the bike sometimes misfired on start up and it would flood. That is exactly what my T7 did. And yes I tried the WOT trick several times to the point the battery was low. The cycling of the key on the few times I had the on/off switch in on position did in fact flood the engine. It had been 12 hours since I cranked it and when I went to start it nothing but engine turning over and fuel smell from exhaust. I knew exactly what it had done from previous super T which did it 3 times during ownership and many more did this wasn't just mine.

Pulling EFI fuse and it fire up enough to burn the raw fuel in the cylinders however I was left with a engine light. The Super Ts did not do that since they were an older design. 

Looks like I have to buy a cable with a small obd2 box off ebay for $60 or carry it to the dealer.

Edited by roy826

Hmm. Never ran into that problem with my '13 Super T, or my T7, but good to know your issues. I'll look into the service manual further tonight to educate myself. Sorry I couldn't assist. Maybe I will learn something tonight to share.

• Like 1

Well $55 later at my local dealer and the code(s) were cleared and light on dash is out. FWIW this model cannot be cleared in any way shape or form without the OBD2 connection to YDT. The ebay scanner/readers will do the same thing but I did not want to wait a week to get the thing and for some odd reason it not work on this 2021 bike. Probably will but I wanted the light out now. Looking back I probably should not have knee jerk reacted and pulled the EFI fuse out. Lesson learned but back on my 2012 Super T that was ok and no code or light on afterward. Times change for the worse it appears these manufacturers love locking you into a dealer visit and create these type situations IMO.

Lesson learned here Yamaha's will still flood with the cycling of the key and fuel pump without a start up of the engine. That seems unchanged from previous models and years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyboxer said:

Are you sure?

Never heard of this before on a FI bike

i have a efi WR250F too and it never floods 

Yes very well documented on the Super Tenere bikes. Ive owned a 15 WR250F and it was a fickle beast at times if you didn’t get it right at first start up. 

The Super Tenere though was the worst one of all. Happened to many more than just me. WOT never worked when it happened. I’m pretty sure this is what happened on the T7. I had a horrible experience with the cyclops light install and did cycle the ignition a lot! In the heat of work I failed to turn the on/off switch to off so fuel pump cycled over and over. Also when I went to crank the bike 8 hours later after all the work it did not cycle the fuel pump meaning it was primed tight already and most likely had leaking injectors during that time frame. These things will fuel flood easily. 

I am here to share not make up drama stories. Tread lightly or just call me when you have a problem I’ve experienced more than once on several FI models built by yamaha. 

Edited by roy826
  • Thanks 1

So I did some homework after work today on the T7 issue. Seems nothing is documented in the service manual on what you experienced (I know, surprise!) and you did about the only thing to get the light to go out. Also read up on the Super T forums about the problem and as you say, it is well documented. Possible causes range from bad fuel, low battery voltage during cranking, faulty ignition switch, and on and on. I would find it very odd for a new Euro 4 engine to have leaking injectors or else emissions would be way out. I do think it is possible that during a power cycle that the injectors could fire for some dwell time. If there is any pressure in the system, then obviously fuel will be dumping in, but wonder why (if) Yamaha would program that in. Someday when I take my tank off, I'll disconnect the injector plugs and fit a peak hold volt meter up and see if they fire on power up for interest sake. Good lesson shared by you to all. Thanks!

• Like 1