Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 as a beginner "road" bike?

Jimmyvw

Tenere 700 For a beginner?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Tenere 700 as a first, beginner bike?

• Yes, order it now!
    • No, very bad idea...
  2. 2. Tenere 700 as a road-only motorcycle?

• YES!!
    • No!
    • Yes but.... you should really try going off-road on it!

Hi guys,

I got my license a couple weeks ago (unlimited) and now I am looking to buy a motorcycle. The CP2 engine from Yamaha is a very good engine as I read a lot of great things about it. So I am very interested in this engine. The motorcycle I had my lessons on was a Yamaha MT-07 but it felt a bit small for me.  My knees are quite high on the tank and not where the "knee gap" is.  I'm 1,88 m (around 6'2?)

I know that most people advice to buy a used bike to start on but the T7 is not available as used in my country and the price for a used bike is not very much lower then brand new so I prefer brand new with warranty, certainty and such😄

The Tenere 700 is a very good looking bike in my opinion but I am not sure it's a good "beginner bike" so I would like some advice from experts😉. The plan is to use the bike for commuting  and touring around my country so paved roads only. ( maybe further trips in the future as I get more experience) I know there is also the Tracer 700 but compared to the T7 I hate the way that looks...

So my question is: Is the Tenere 700 a good bike for a beginner and a good bike for road only use?

• Like 1

Wellcome to the forum. If you learnt to ride on a MT-07 and your clearly tall enough to put both feet down, I see no reason why a T7 could not be your first bike. It’s certainly not a beast with huge amounts of power and it handles very well and is very well balanced. Can you not get the lower powered version in Holland, if so, ride it de-powered for a bit while you get use to it and then have it unrestricted (if thats possible, I know the BMW’s can be unrestricted). 

I use my T7 mainly on the road (95% road 5% Offroad), its not the best road bike, but its a very good all round bike (jack of all trade and a master of none), but its relatively cheap to run, excellent fuel economy (72-83mpg for me), isn't too heavy for someone your size, has plenty of torque and is a joy on the twisties and does motorway’s no problem. I’m 5’ 11” and the standard screen is turbulent free (but noisy). When you’ve had some time to learn to ride (instead of learn to pass the bike test), then you’ve got a great bike to go do some adventures and even maybe go Offroad. 

If you like the T7 and think it will fit in with your future riding plans, I’d say go for it. 

Edited by Alf Meister
  • Like 2

I agree with AlfMeister totally, if you learnt on and can handle an MT-07, your be ok with the T7. Just take your time and your be good, plus no harm in joining an advance training group, to continue learning and gaining experience. I’d say the T7 would be a great bike to start out with, maybe some engine crash bars and some barkbusters, to help on any accidental off balance drops. 👍

• Like 1

Just to add, had a look on the Dutch Yamaha site and I believe they do the 35KW version, so speak to your dealer and ask if the bike can easily be changed over to the 54KW version as and when your want to. But to be honest I think you’d be fine with the Full Beans version if your a confident beginner. 

• Like 1

The T7 is a great bike in general, and also suitable for a beginning rider. It has enough power and torque to do anything reasonable, but no so much that you run the chance that the bike is riding you. No need to have it limited to 35 kW. 

I'm 1,86 and even with the rally seat I can easily get both feet planted on the ground and the position on the bike is very comfy. Last Sunday I did a trip from Deventer to the Moezel river - started 0800 and got back home at 2245. A little bit of a sore bottom after 12 hours riding, but knees and legs were in top shape. For your length it's a good fit.

The T7 can do everything quite well, which is great if you start riding and need to find out what you prefer. Unless you develop a taste for something specific (circuit racing, true off-roading or doing monsterous amounts of kilometers on highways for instance), it's the only bike you'll need.

If I would need to fault the T7 on anything, it's that is lacks a bit of drama. It's the perfect travel companion, a reliable friend to go on an adventure. That's exactly why I bought it. And it's also why I also own a Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 ;-). But having to make a choice, it would be the T7 hands down.

The only reason to buy second hand is that as a new rider you will drop the bike (there are two types of riders, those who dropped their bikes, and those who haven't YET). Damage on an old bike is either not an issue or cheap to fix. With a new T7 this may feel differently depending on the type of person you are. I ride a bit off pavement, so I know it'll get scratched and dented and find this adds character. It's basically just a cost risk.

Good luck with your choice!

Edited by WalterT
  • Like 1

I like my T7 a lot and it works well on paved roads but if I were planning on using a bike the way you describe I would probably go with a Tracer 700 for the better pavement tires, the fact they're TUBELESS is a big advantage, and the low exhaust which will enable side bags or cases to tuck in closer. Personally I like the looks of the Tracer 700 but if you actually hate how it looks buy the Tenere'.

• Like 1

Agree with the feedback!

I haven’t had a ton of bikes but as an all rounder the T7 is hard to beat and there’s something about the way it rides that just brings a smile to my face. 
Find it to be a perfectly competent road bike unless doing >160km/h a lot is your thing. In tight twisties on rough/broken pavement it will outperform road bikes.

One aspect to consider is ergonomics and that’s a very personal thing: you have to figure out what position in relationship to the bike works for you. The T7 has a very upright off road or mountain bike-like position if you ride up front close to the tank. However the seat is long enough that I can scoot my butt back quite a bit and anywhere in between which gives me a couple of different positions depending on the type of riding I’m doing.

I highly recommend it but ultimately only you can know what works for your style and fit!

Edited by Lookiel
  • Like 1

I think the T7 would be a great bike to learn on and grow with over time.  It doesn't limit you to back roads or "only roads" so when/if you decide to play in the green lanes it will be ready.  It's very highway friendly so you won't be stuck taking backroads.   The only thing I would caution you would be with the throttle when you are first getting used to the bike but that holds true with all motorcycles.  If you take it easy and are sensible I think it would be a brilliant bike that you would not regret even years down the road.

Thanks for all the good advice and tips. Next week I will visit a dealer nearby and take a seat (ride if they let me ) on both the Tenere 700 and tracer 700 . If it was only looks it would be T7 by a mile but most of the preference I have now is based on looks and reviews I have seen from other people. So the best choice is to sit/ride them and make a decision. 

I'm 193 tall, and the T7 is just right with the  taller rally seat. If you're going to ride longer distances the  tracer will probably become cramped! The tracer would probably feel fine for a test ride and shorter commutes. Just keep this in mind, shorter riders just don't get it. If you don't want to take a T7 off road, street biased rubber will make it a fantastic road bike. 

• Like 1

I voted yes you can use it as a beginner bike if you like how it looks and handled a mt07 just fine. However, In my opinion only, If I weren’t doing adventures on and especially off road, I would Definitely get another bike other than the T7.  Dedicated road bikes handle and feel much more stable on pavement not to mention can have more engine character than the T7 (of course that depends on what bike one gets).  For example I have a Triumph Street Triple I much prefer if I’m just going to pound pavement.  

I think most respondents have  missed the point of the question! The  guy is 6 2" and his  knees are practically under his nostrils on an MT07 there's only a  few  types of bikes that fit taller people. First an adventure style bike, a dirt bike a super moto or a cruiser. All  sports bikes  will look like  a miniature clown bike with  a  taller rider on it and give comfort like a shoe 2 sizes too small!

Do yourself a favour take the advice of  taller riders, not the  ones who have put lowering links and shorter seats on, as their accessories. For the  record  a street triple  would look like an inserted "butt plug" with  me on it. It is easier control a bike that fits your stature. You  may at a later stage  dip your  feet on a gravel road, this bike is made for it.

• Like 2

LOL, that’s quite a funny picture you just created in my head.

I completely agree for one to find a bike that is comfortable for your frame size. I disagree that the T7 is that bike. While the T7 seems like a larger bike than a typical street bike, i think most of that feeling is in the tall tank, tall instrument cluster and also its seat height off the ground. I find my knees getting just a little bit more sore with the closer seat-to-foot peg ratio than my Street Triple @ 5/11

So maybe a Speed Triple for you? Just kidding.  

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Not knowing what your off road opportunities are where you live, this might not work, but my advice is to get a 150-250cc dirt bike/dual sport and learn to ride it in the dirt. I might be in the minority here, but 55 years of riding and 10 years as MSF Rider Coach has shown me that dirt riders make for safer street riders. Many students on street bikes have issues when they lose traction because they've never experienced it before. Dirt riders will be familiar with what to do to correct the situation and most likely prevent a fall.  This method is also cheaper as you buy a banged up bike to train on ( and drop) hone your skills and then decide what type of riding you want to focus on and then select the bike that best fits those needs.  My .02 worth. Ymmv. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

One major thing with new rider is the height of the seat as it can get intimidated if you haven't learn the shifting-butt technique if vertical challenge like me. I see you are blessed with longer legs so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I only rode MT07 before and this T7 is apparently the same characteristic or at least similar (no demo as no bike around...LOL) which is smooth and "mostly" predicable until that stupid throttle snatchy from factory gets fixed.

but as a new rider & owner, TRY to buy a used & banged up bike if possible...so you won't hurt as much (most emotionally 😛) when the bike tips over.

It is not the matter IF you will drop the bike, it is the matter of WHEN...typically slow speed like a parking lot or drive way.

GLWS and happy riding!

• Like 1

Don't hesitate, just get the T7! Don't think, just act!! 😆 The T7 was made for folks that are 6'2"!

I'm 6' 2" and have the rally seat on my T7 - which in my opinion is a must (give you another inch or two of seat height). I rode my T7 3,000 km from the dealer back to my home, all along remote 2 lane highways. I come from years of riding a KLR 650 and I can tell you the T7 is frigging awesome on the tarmac compared to the KLR 650. With the wide rear tire the bike is GLUED to the pavement. For me the T7 is very comfortable for long days (I've put in one 1000 km day). It just glides down the highways and is a blast on curvy roads. The only issue I had is that my right knee would get a little sore after 5 hours of riding. I think that for my height if the foot pegs were 1" inch lower that would be beneficial. Also, the windscreen is probably a few inches to short for tall folks, although I didn't mind the wind noise (it is a motorcycle after all). At least the air that hit my helmet was laminar and not turbulent.

Since being back from my long road trip I have done a few gravel mining roads and steep dirt hill climbs and the T7 for moderate gravel and dirt is a very sweet ride. I really like how in first gear you can just chug up steep hills and when going down engine braking is very good, meaning that one doesn't have to overly rely on riding front or rear brakes. I don't do anything extreme and never bother lowering tire pressure (too lazy).

The only thing to watch out for with the T7, if you are new to adv bikes, is its weight. With a full tank of gas it is  top heavy and a bitch to pick up if it falls over. And it will fall over if you are a normal human rider. So far I have spilled my bike in a gas station parking lot (embarrassing!!) and on a steep hill climb. But in the end I think the T7 rides lighter than its weight. My KLR 650 feels much heavier when I ride it, although it probably weighs a little less than the T7. You will see the word "nimble" used a lot to describe the T7 -- and it is!

So get a T7, but be smart about getting used to its weight.  Just ride conservatively for a while.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CAJW said:

Not knowing what your off road opportunities are where you live, this might not work, but my advice is to get a 150-250cc dirt bike/dual sport and learn to ride it in the dirt. I might be in the minority here, but 55 years of riding and 10 years as MSF Rider Coach has shown me that dirt riders make for safer street riders. Many students on street bikes have issues when they lose traction because they've never experienced it before. Dirt riders will be familiar with what to do to correct the situation and most likely prevent a fall.  This method is also cheaper as you buy a banged up bike to train on ( and drop) hone your skills and then decide what type of riding you want to focus on and then select the bike that best fits those needs.  My .02 worth. Ymmv. 

Jimmyvw stated in bold type "ROAD ONLY  USE" 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Louis said:

Jimmyvw stated in bold type "ROAD ONLY  USE" 

Thanks Louis, but that fact didn't go unnoticed.    My point stating "dirt riders make for safer street riders." Still applies to Road Only Use riders.  When discussing a bike that is capable of dirt excursions,  this is even more applicable and to say a road only rider won't ever hit gravel or other loose surfaces is kidding themselves. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS