Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dual usb socket and voltmeter

Homer

I love to tinker, so I've replaced the standard cigarette lighter socket with a dual usb, and fitted a digital voltmeter while I had the headlight off. Very straightforward, especially as Yamaha thoughtfully supplied a spare switched power supply for the voltmeter. Just had to enlarge the mounting holes slightly with a rotary file.

thumbnail_IMG20200926151925.jpg

• Like 1

Good job mate.

A lot of people including myself have fitted the duel USB that includes a volt meter on the left side, then fitted the original cig outlet wired directly to the battery on the right hand side.

Being connected (through a fuse of course ) all the time, you have a handy means of attaching a battery charger/maintainer.

Cheers, Disco

Did the same thing last week, using a dual USB port - volt meter combo plug. Had the same issue where I had to enlarge the hole (mostly removing the burr from the production process) to get a good fit.

@Disco

IMG-20200918-WA0012.jpeg

• 9 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 7:08 AM, Disco said:

Good job mate.

A lot of people including myself have fitted the duel USB that includes a volt meter on the left side, then fitted the original cig outlet wired directly to the battery on the right hand side.

Being connected (through a fuse of course ) all the time, you have a handy means of attaching a battery charger/maintainer.

Cheers, Disco

Hi, what's the reason for moving the original cig lighter to the right side?

1 hour ago, Wushuplayer said:

Hi, what's the reason for moving the original cig lighter to the right side?

To wire directly to the battery as the original power source is thru the bikes electronics and can only handle under 2.5 amps. 2.5 is plenty for dual usb/volt meter, so it goes on the left thru the system. 12v cig socket wired to battery can handle battery charging, tire compressor, etc.

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 3
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

• 1 year later...

@BADDANDY... sorry if you just explained this..but the right outlet when fitted can handle 12 volts/connected to the bike battery directly (meaning I could plug in my Dynaplug mini compressor to it for tires issues) and the left is simply not enough juice to do something like that with?

• 4 weeks later...