Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Triumph Tiger 800 xcx v Tenere 700

Fallow Head

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and looking at purchasing a new Tenere 700.

Anyone out there that has previously had /has a Tiger 800 ?

I'm interested in their comparison of the two bikes.

• Like 1

I’d  like to hear that comparison too as I have a buddy considering both of them. (And the bmw f800gs) 

• Like 1

I've just bought a Tenere, and my mate has a Tiger 800 XCX. Having ridden them both, the Tenere is  better off road, the Triumph better on road.

I'm on a tour of Scotland with my mate on to his Tiger.

I've ridden both. Triumph just feels more like a road bike and the T7 feels more like a proper off road bike. Both are ace on the road. The Triumph feels a bit bigger, wider and softer and the T7 taughter and narrower. The Tiger howls and the engine is a peach, but the T7 has the instant grunt that the Triumph needs winding up for. I'd say the Tiger accelerates ever so slightly faster than the T7 in drag race but there's nothing really in it. And that's impressive for the T7 as it gives away a lot of BHP.

Both are great bikes, but I wouldn't want to take the Tiger properly off road. The T7 aces it there. 

I also prefer the feel of the off road bike on the road, but maybe that's just me.

Rich

IMG_20200926_101132.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Ive had 3 Gs800s and the T7 isnt a fair comparison.

the gs is a heavy weight trail/road bike and thats it.

T7 is a trail/ enduro/green lane/ motorway machine which can be adapted cheaply to do what ever you want it specifically for.

On 11/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, Matth said:

T7 is a trail/ enduro/green lane/ motorway machine which can be adapted cheaply to do what ever you want it specifically for.

Ditto. My last F800 ADV (14) was so top heavy and severely mushy in the suspension, I hated it for anything other than street and dirt roads. Okay on fire roads, but the T7 will eat it's lunch. The Triumph Tiger and GS 800 "like" bikes are great on road and do well on dirt roads, but if you want to venture into some real serious stuff without working your butt off, the T7 hands down.

The other thing, the T7 isn't "buzzy" like my 800 was, smoother and much more refined.

Edited by Firebolter

I think sadly they could have made the F800 into a fantastic bike and also the 850 but instead its a road bike with gravel capacity and you can reach its limits very quick, also hated the 17inch rear wheel look.

it looked like a unicycle! Sorry going off topic.:)))

• 1 month later...

This video should be helpful:

https://youtu.be/wn0JaUUbuHE

I own a T7 but test rode a Tiger 800xc, found Swanky Cats video comparison to be spot on. Both Tiger and T7 are awesome on road; that triple engine is amazing but I didn’t think it was so suited to off road, the T7 was just so nimble and flickable I preferred it. For me the T7 won hands down in the light off roading I tried with both. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, Matth said:

just wondering why the gs800 is more heavy. Gs800 and T700 are both 450 lbs.

The gs 800 was never classed as a middleweight dual sport and is a little heavier than the T7 fully fuelled.

still was a good bike tho but not in the same league as the T7 for putting a grin on your face!

couple of pics attached 

0A341B04-B597-496E-9314-310063CB3AE3.jpeg

CA3C0006-79F1-47EC-9650-8D8719D1697D.jpeg

Edited by Matth
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

5 middleweight bike comparison.

It's the new Tiger 900, not the 800 though:

That is a pretty fun comparison vid to watch. 

Since the start of this thread, my buddy has purchased a Tiger 800 whom i ride with quite a bit.  He loves it!  It definitely is a better road bike than my T7 and is probably more stable going straight on harder gravel roads than my T7 due to its street orientated front end. As many have said, that triple is a fantastic engine! But after that once you get it more off-road the suspension get floaty and it wants to tuck bad on anything loose, gravel or sand. Especially when you let off the gas- it just wants to go down.   

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 2:12 AM, Homer said:

I've just bought a Tenere, and my mate has a Tiger 800 XCX. Having ridden them both, the Tenere is  better off road, the Triumph better on road.

Makes sense...