Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I'm confused about the USB socket/cigarette lighter slot.

Rainville

Question

Hi all!

I finally pulled the trigger on my first bike, a brand new T7 here in Switzerland. Bike is here and is being fitted with a few accessories  but I'm confused about the USB socket(s) and I think my dealer is as well?

So, on the T7, there are 2 slots correct? One left which is already fitted with a cigarette socket I believe and one right which is empty.

I'm looking to have a double USB socket installed but my dealer seem to think the only way to do so is plug something on top of the cigarette lighter? Is that the right way?

By looking online, it seems like what I'm looking for is a complete USB slot, replacing the cigarette slot? Or am I tripping? 

I'm new to all this and all the info I'm finding online is a bit complexe on this.

I don't want my dealer to just put a basic usb slot which might not work after a while if it's not a dedicated USB slot? I'm not even sure if that makes sense.

Hope you can help me clarify this :).

Thanks a ton!

Cheers.

Edited by Rainville

10 answers to this question

I'm guessing you're looking for something like this

Buy BAAS USB Vehicle Socket 2100 mA, spring-loaded cover at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

or this

Buy Albrecht twin USB socket at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

rather than a plug in charger liker this

Buy USB/Cigarette lighter plug in Adapter, 12V at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

or this

Buy USB/CIG. LIGHTER PLUG DUO-USB ADAPTER at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

I went with a second cigarette lighter style socket on the right side so I've got the choice of USB charger or plugging in the lights on my roadbook holder.

Hope this helps

Harvey

Edited by HarvC

Yes, the T7 has who slots, the left over is the standard cigarette one, the right one is empty, but there is a switched power connector behind the right panel available.

There are a few threads on the forum which explain how to add a USB port in the free socket space. This is the most recent one:

there is another thread which details exactly how to do the installation, but I can't find it quickly.

38 minutes ago, HarvC said:

I'm guessing you're looking for something like this

Buy BAAS USB Vehicle Socket 2100 mA, spring-loaded cover at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

or this

Buy Albrecht twin USB socket at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

rather than a plug in charger liker this

Buy USB/Cigarette lighter plug in Adapter, 12V at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

or this

Buy USB/CIG. LIGHTER PLUG DUO-USB ADAPTER at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Free returns ✓

I went with a second cigarette lighter style socket on the right side so I've got the choice of USB charger or plugging in the lights on my roadbook holder.

Hope this helps

Harvey

That's exactly what I mean.

Problem is, I'm not sure my dealer understood that. I guess I need to show them some examples. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, WalterT said:

Yes, the T7 has who slots, the left over is the standard cigarette one, the right one is empty, but there is a switched power connector behind the right panel available.

There are a few threads on the forum which explain how to add a USB port in the free socket space. This is the most recent one:

there is another thread which details exactly how to do the installation, but I can't find it quickly.

These two explains about the installation of the USB Port and the removal of the front end

• Thanks 1

My only gripe with both of these threads is that they don't talk about why you shouldn't use the lines already there for a 12v socket or multiple USB ports that exceed 2 amps. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

My only gripe with both of these threads is that they don't talk about why you shouldn't use the lines already there for a 12v socket or multiple USB ports that exceed 2 amps. 

@loneranger700 i wanted a 12 volt socket that was not switched through the ignition switch and therefore would be live all the time for phone charging cradle etc and it also means that I can used it to plug in a 12 volt trickle charger to top up the bikes battery.

6 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

Do enlighten us then.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, X Plane said:

@loneranger700 i wanted a 12 volt socket that was not switched through the ignition switch and therefore would be live all the time for phone charging cradle etc and it also means that I can used it to plug in a 12 volt trickle charger to top up the bikes battery.

Piece of cake to thread a length of tie wire through the frame to the battery. Attach the wires to the tie wire and pull back through. Some corrugated sheathing is an advantage. Thread the wires up through the fairing and pull out through the right hand hole.

Job nearly done in 5 minutes!

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Piece of cake to thread a length of tie wire through the frame to the battery. Attach the wires to the tie wire and pull back through. Some corrugated sheathing is an advantage. Thread the wires up through the fairing and pull out through the right hand hole.

Job nearly done in 5 minutes!

Therefore, that is what I did do / I have already done that piece of cake. Cheers

Thanks @Rider 101

Anyhow, this hopefully helps others

17 hours ago, Rainville said:

Hi all!

I finally pulled the trigger on my first bike, a brand new T7 here in Switzerland. Bike is here and is being fitted with a few accessories  but I'm confused about the USB socket(s) and I think my dealer is as well?

So, on the T7, there are 2 slots correct? One left which is already fitted with a cigarette socket I believe and one right which is empty.

I'm looking to have a double USB socket installed but my dealer seem to think the only way to do so is plug something on top of the cigarette lighter? Is that the right way?

By looking online, it seems like what I'm looking for is a complete USB slot, replacing the cigarette slot? Or am I tripping? 

I'm new to all this and all the info I'm finding online is a bit complexe on this.

I don't want my dealer to just put a basic usb slot which might not work after a while if it's not a dedicated USB slot? I'm not even sure if that makes sense.

Hope you can help me clarify this :).

Thanks a ton!

Cheers.

Moving this because it isn't in any way a tech tip. 

• Like 1