Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 and Short Riders

seaWall

i am 5'7 or 170cm and i really want this bike and i am planning to buy this bike.  how do you guys, short riders, deal with the seat height?  i am new to adv riding and this was my number one concern.  if anyone can give a detailed review about being short and owning a t700 that would be great.  and if anyone can post pics about this topic that would be great aswell.  thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@seaWall Just saw this thread and since nobody has chimed in for you I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

I'm 5'8" with a 30"-ish inseam. I've got the T7 in stock setup right now and find the seat height just a bit too high. It's perfectly manageable on the street as long as you pay attention; I can get both feet touching and just lean the bike a little bit to feel confident on one foot. I'm wearing Forma Adventure boots to give a little more reach.

That being said I wouldn't be able to get a foot down unexpectedly and off-road it would probably be a problem.

I'm hesitant to do a  lowering kit because it creates issues with the side-stand (mixed reports on this) and possibly the center stand. Not to mention I just don't like the notion of getting a bike with a certain amount of travel and losing 3/4" of it right away (not that I'm experienced enough/aggressive enough to ever need it!). One reason I WOULD consider the lowering links is that it would lower the whole bike's center of gravity, which would make those low-speed turns a little easier. Such a turn was the cause of my first drop so far.

I do have a Seat Concepts lower seat foam kit on order and I think that will instill a lot more confidence.

Hope that helps!

Edited by HoboHighlander
trying to tag OP
  • Like 1

I am 5’7”, I fitted Rally Raid lowering links  that drop the seat height 40mm (1 3/4”) I also pushed the forks 25mm (1”) to compensate and help keep the steering geometry. I regularly ride off road and haven’t found any bottoming out on big hits or woops.

Spoiler

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Im 5,7 and low single seat. I had put lowerink however took it off again as centre stand scuffed a few times.

also when i put my panniers and camping kit etc it was tooo low.

im on tip toe. 30 inch leg.

there are so many lowering options available to assist, its a brilliant bike so you may find your potential issue is just forgotten!

let us know how you get on and send some pixs

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

i'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam.  Stock, I could get one foot down on the ball of my foot, or both down on the very tip of my toes.

I put 20mm RR links and pushed the forks up 15mm. I can get the ball of both feet on the ground now with boots on.

I also installed the 90mn RR spring at the same time. So far, I have only been able to do a short street ride since the change, the bike handles well enough, full lock u turns are no problem, fast sweepers were fine.

I'm hoping to find time for some fireroads soon.

• Like 1

I guess that new products are on the planning table ... here is the link to the lowered kickstand/side stand discussion ... 

Camel ADV

IMG_5388_medium.jpg?v=1607665304

The Camel Toe Side Stand for the 700 Tenere is a direct replacement for factory cast aluminum stand.  Do you climb on your bike while the side stand is down? Go for it.Use your bike's side stand to break the bead on your friend's flat tire, no problem! Lowered you bike and need a shorter kick stand? We have you covered!Our side stand uses...

• Like 2