Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

RallyRaid wind deflectors combined with T7rally windscreen adjuster.

Allen Kelly

I have recently fitted the T7Rally wind screen adjuster along with the Rally Raid side wind deflectors. I just had it out for a short run got up to 115km unfortunately it is a reasonably windy day so my initial assessment is hampered by the gusty wind. That aside I found with the adjustable screen fully extended along with the side deflectors I did notice a considerable reduction of buffeting on my upper chest as well as my shoulders. So my report is that the 2 combined initially are a marked improvement on the OEM setup. I am sure it is not going to be perfect but it is an improvement. Once the wind has died down and I can go for a reasonable ride along the freeway I will give my final opinion of them. Cheers all, Allen   

T7rally. Windscreen adjusters.

IMG_1551.jpg

Rally Raid wind deflectors.

IMG_1553.jpg

Edited by Allen Kelly
correction
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:38 AM, Allen Kelly said:

I have recently fitted the T7Rally wind screen adjuster along with the Rally Raid side wind deflectors. I just had it out for a short run got up to 115km unfortunately it is a reasonably windy day so my initial assessment is hampered by the gusty wind. That aside I found with the adjustable screen fully extended along with the side deflectors I did notice a considerable reduction of buffeting on my upper chest as well as my shoulders. So my report is that the 2 combined initially are a marked improvement on the OEM setup. I am sure it is not going to be perfect but it is an improvement. Once the wind has died down and I can go for a reasonable ride along the freeway I will give my final opinion of them. Cheers all, Allen   

T7rally. Windscreen adjusters.

IMG_1551.jpg

Rally Raid wind deflectors.

IMG_1553.jpg

Hey guys, I took the bike out for a good run today, a perfect day for a ride and so here are my analyses of the wind screen lifter and deflectors. I had my peek helmet on with the peek fully forward for wind effect. I am happy to say that with the screen at the top of the adjustment I had no wind at the helmet. I placed my hand on top of the helmet and lifted it about one hand higher before I felt the full brunt of the wind. I found the deflectors moved the wind away from my chest and it was hitting my shoulders this was a much more comfortable scenario for highway riding. It’s not perfect but a big improvement for me. Cheers all.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 8:06 PM, Allen Kelly said:

Hey guys, I took the bike out for a good run today, a perfect day for a ride and so here are my analyses of the wind screen lifter and deflectors. I had my peek helmet on with the peek fully forward for wind effect. I am happy to say that with the screen at the top of the adjustment I had no wind at the helmet. I placed my hand on top of the helmet and lifted it about one hand higher before I felt the full brunt of the wind. I found the deflectors moved the wind away from my chest and it was hitting my shoulders this was a much more comfortable scenario for highway riding. It’s not perfect but a big improvement for me. Cheers all.

I have been looking at the deflectors as well as a taller screen- couple of questions for you. How tall are you and are the deflectors/windshield powerbronze? Also how tall is the screen? Thanks!

Edited by vagrant318
  • Like 2

Looks and sounds like a winning combination! 

Edited by OU812
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 9:19 AM, vagrant318 said:

I have been looking at the deflectors as well as a taller screen- couple of questions for you. How tall are you and are the deflectors/windshield powerbronze? Also how tall is the screen? Thanks!

Hey vagrant, the deflectors are Powerbronze the windshield is the OEM the screen adjuster lifts the screen up 5cm. I am 5’8” or 173cm tall

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, Allen Kelly said:

After a few rides now I have come up with what I think is my final assessment of the wind deflector and the adjustable windshield brackets. I have found the deflectors work a treat and the adjuster does to a degree, the problem I have found with the windshield adjuster is that if it is lifted to its fullest height the effect of the protection is negated by the gap at the bottom of the screen and the headlight. My conclusion is that it works reasonably well until it is at full height. For me it is a working alteration but when I will be planning long term and long distance riding I more than likely will purchase a one piece touring shield. For one or two day trips this setup will suffice. I hope this is of some assistance to you all, cheers Allen.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, Allen Kelly said:

After a few rides now I have come up with what I think is my final assessment of the wind deflector and the adjustable windshield brackets. I have found the deflectors work a treat and the adjuster does to a degree, the problem I have found with the windshield adjuster is that if it is lifted to its fullest height the effect of the protection is negated by the gap at the bottom of the screen and the headlight. My conclusion is that it works reasonably well until it is at full height. For me it is a working alteration but when I will be planning long term and long distance riding I more than likely will purchase a one piece touring shield. For one or two day trips this setup will suffice. I hope this is of some assistance to you all, cheers Allen.

On a previous post the member put an old face shield in behind the OEM shield (I think you have to make some cuts to get a face shield to fit)

LONG TERM WINDSCREEN TRIALS & THE OUTCOME.

Late last year I decided to experiment with some sort of windscreen adjustments. First I used the T7 Rally slide adjusters, I found these worked to a degree but the higher you lifted them you got wind coming under the extended gap at the bottom of the OEM screen. This in my view defeated the idea of reducing wind buffeting. I then purchased a set of Powerbronze side deflectors and touring screen and fitted them. I immediately had a problem with the height of the screen. I wear multifocal lens glasses and I found that the top of the screen sat right in the middle of my glasses. Because of the bumps and ruts in the road this lead to my eyes refocusing from one lense focus point to another, it became very distracting. My next move was to reinstall the T7Rally adjuster with the Powerbronze and raise the screen slightly. This rectified the refocusing effect I was having but created a lot of buffeting. My next move was to remove the adjusters and discard them and I cut 30mm from the top of the screen down from 360mm to 330mm this is still 90mm taller than the OEM screen as well as wider. Again this has removed the effect of the refocusing and at speeds around 90KLM it works fine but 100 and above the buffeting is anointing. My conclusion is that the OEM screen is probably the best option for anyone within my height range and wearing multifocal glasses.  

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

These images are of the cutdown screen.

Edited by Allen Kelly

Hi Allen, When I have my standard screen in the tallest position on the T7 Rally adjusters,  I filled in the gap underneath with some light flexible rubber sheeting from Clark Rubber. Stopped the wind coming in under the screen.