Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello! Before I buy insight pls?

Larry710

I am considering getting into adv riding, and the t7 is very appealing and I'm 95% sure this is what I will get.

Let me tell you about myself first so you can answer my questions considering…

I live in Canada,

I am aprox 200lbs( 90kg) with riding gear, and camel back

I am 6’2”(187cm) with a 34”(86cm) inseam

I currently own a Husqvarna tx300,

I enjoy riding hard enduro

I have competed in the past and as of late, finish in the top 3 of my class, Vet/Expert.

I plan on using the T7 off road, and to and from work often.

On occasion my wife (105lbs/47kg) will be riding two-up, on day/weekend trips with the necessary luggage. (highway only)

Questions:

(note: the local dealer customer service is lacking)

Initial purchase,

There are 3 different “packs” optioned for it from Yamaha, Protection, Touring, and Adventure. And several accessories to choose from.

Should I opt for any of these, or are there better product out there?

Suspension,

This one worries me, and is the only reason I would consider the 790 over the T7.

I realize that this will never compare to my 300, but I have seen several youtube videos, and know it is a very capable machine in the right hands. I also see that a very common complaint is the suspension. 

My thoughts at the moment are to spring up to the high end of my weight spectrum right away and ride it for a while. Break it in, and play with clickers, and go from there if needed.  I won’t be hitting the MX track of course, but I do want to challenge myself and bike in the single track, while having a decent ride height with my wife on back riding highway.

Has anyone found the unicorn spring rate yet? Manufacture?  (north American supplier?)

Seat, two-up

I see mention (youtube) Yamaha offers seat options, but all I see is a low seat option on the accessory parts list at my dealer.  Is there more?

What is this “rally” seat, and is it available here in North America?

I see the seat is two part.  Is there a comfy rear seat for my wife, that I can quickly switch out for her?

Is there a rear box with a padded back rest for her?

The engine guard, aka crash bars.  My opinion is they look bad, and add weight.  Do these just protect the plastics?  Is the radiator protected between the chassis?  Has anyone damaged a radiator from a fall?  I believe in function over fashion, but are they necessary?

Thanks in advance for the feed back.

Looking forward to learning more in the ADV world.

Larry

Edited by Larry710

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Larry710 said:

I am considering getting into adv riding, and the t7 is very appealing and I'm 95% sure this is what I will get.

Let me tell you about myself first so you can answer my questions considering…

I live in Canada,

I am aprox 200lbs( 90kg) with riding gear, and camel back

I am 6’2”(187cm) with a 34”(86cm) inseam

I currently own a Husqvarna tx300,

I enjoy riding hard enduro

I have competed in the past and as of late, finish in the top 3 of my class, Vet/Expert.

I plan on using the T7 off road, and to and from work often.

On occasion my wife (105lbs/47kg) will be riding two-up, on day/weekend trips with the necessary luggage. (highway only)

Questions:

(note: the local dealer customer service is lacking)

Initial purchase,

There are 3 different “packs” optioned for it from Yamaha, Protection, Touring, and Adventure. And several accessories to choose from.

Should I opt for any of these, or are there better product out there?

Suspension,

This one worries me, and is the only reason I would consider the 790 over the T7.

I realize that this will never compare to my 300, but I have seen several youtube videos, and know it is a very capable machine in the right hands. I also see that a very common complaint is the suspension. 

My thoughts at the moment are to spring up to the high end of my weight spectrum right away and ride it for a while. Break it in, and play with clickers, and go from there if needed.  I won’t be hitting the MX track of course, but I do want to challenge myself and bike in the single track, while having a decent ride height with my wife on back riding highway.

Has anyone found the unicorn spring rate yet? Manufacture?  (north American supplier?)

Seat, two-up

I see mention (youtube) Yamaha offers seat options, but all I see is a low seat option on the accessory parts list at my dealer.  Is there more?

What is this “rally” seat, and is it available here in North America?

I see the seat is two part.  Is there a comfy rear seat for my wife, that I can quickly switch out for her?

Is there a rear box with a padded back rest for her?

The engine guard, aka crash bars.  My opinion is they look bad, and add weight.  Do these just protect the plastics?  Is the radiator protected between the chassis?  Has anyone damaged a radiator from a fall?  I believe in function over fashion, but are they necessary?

Thanks in advance for the feed back.

Looking forward to learning more in the ADV world.

Larry

Size and weight wise you are a great fit for the Tenere. Ergonomics will feel nice much like the enduros you are used to riding. I can't recommend any of the OEM gear packs, great way to add weight and raise the price. OEM crashbars have no cross brace and bend in towards the fairings, pictures attached. I think Heed, Adventure Spec, and Outback Motortek are better options here. I folded in a set of Adventure Spec crash bars, saving my radiator for sure. Knowing how I am using the bike now if I did it again I would go the Outback Motortek route. As for the other add-ons - other companys are doing it better in my opinion; Camel ADV makes a legit skid plate and is Canadian as well. Seat options will open right up very soon, as Seat Concepts releases a multitude of options, likely including a 2-up seat with extra foam for passenger. The bike lends itself to soft luggage, those hard cases are a crime against humanity for a bike this nimble and narrow. Look into Giantloop, Mosko Moto, or Enduristan bags. Proper handguards and a tire upgrade are necessary before leaving the forest roads and getting into some offroad. As an enduro rider, your goal will likely be to keep as much weight off the bike as possible. I am unable to speak on the bikes 2-up capabilities and suspension, but others will chime in.

Lastly, if you are in Ontario let me know and we will meet up for a ride or two.

dmg1.png.33e8e688de985215c1361a599a87dbbf.pngdmg2.jpeg.7540a2338c9f7624e296652dbcf105e8.jpeg

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Excellent,,, this is the kind of feed back I was hoping for!!  thanks

So the radiator is not cradled within the frame down tubes?  Has there been reports of bent/cracked rads due to falls?

I don't like weight, but I hate being broke in the middle of nowhere more 😉 

Just looked at camel adv web site,  love the skid plate, proper that it extends the strip of uhmw down to the linkage.

Tires.. yup, for sure, they'll be changed. 

I run mousse inserts on my 300, but mousse would never hold up on pavement.  I am likely going with tubeless system, and carry plugs.  I hate flats, and this is a heavy bike to pull the tire off on the trail. 

It's getting late in the year, I may hold off till the motorcycle show in the new year and hope for a deal before pulling the trigger.  But I'd like to acquire all the accessories before then.

I'm in Nova Scotia. 

• Like 1

Pretty much what Tenerecanad said. A fantastic bike straight out of the box. I would not bother with any accessory packages just pick and chose the bits that suit you and what you save over a Pumpkin bike you could have the tenere custom set up nicely just how you want it. I'm reasonably happy with the suspension apart from the rear spring being a bit soft for my weight but I'm not riding hard either. Enjoy

• Like 1

So, I'm about the exact same demographic as you, except the VET/Expert rider. Made it to expert in motocross in my younger years but haven't competed in 25 years. The suspension is weak for our weight and especially aggressive riding. That needs work. I upgraded the rear spring, and will be upgrading the forks with a cartridge kit this winter. Then make a call on the shock next year. I'm expecting to spend $1500-2000 on suspension to make it near perfect. I too hate weight, but like you hate being stuck in the bush with a dead bike more. I run Outback Motortek skid/rear panier racks with Yamaha front crash bars as they came with the deal. The only time you really feel the weight is in the mud or if you have to lift/push it. When riding, it is quite nimble. I have a WR450 for bush riding, and the T7 feels very similar, with more grunt and a bit more weight. I also run a tubeless system, and while not perfect, is much better than pulling a tube in the bush. Good luck.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

If you havent seen the Dirt Bike Rider Review it might help on a few points. They focus on the important things that make the T700 what it is and its really like what they say. I was concerned about suspension before I bought in but I am not disappointed. It really is much better than normal (out of Japan). The truth that they also cover honestly and one you cant avoid is the need for committment but I dont think you will have a problem with that.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/yamaha-tenere-700/

• 2 weeks later...

SO... I put a deposit on it last week!

However, I am not getting it until week of july 1st 2021.  The thing is, I use to live in BC, Canada, but moved to NS, Canada.  And there is a popular cross country dirt bike race that falls on the july 1st weekend (canada day) in BC.

I want to go to this race, (watch only of course), so I thought I'd make a vacation out of it and buy the T7 in Vancouver, and hit up the race, then ride back to NS!

So I am dealing with the dealer early, to ensure they have enough time to get the bike in the color I want (white) and have it ready for me.  I figure the more notice I can give them the better.  Of course this is all subject to the covid situation being resolved to the point I do not have to isolate for 14 day at each end of the trip.   

The next 9 months also give me time to buy what I will need for the trip.  Thanks to your advice, I'll buy the bike stock, but add on the panniers rack and top case to carry my belongings during the trip, everything else can wait to be installed when I arrive back home.

Considering how often I will be using panniers, I am opting for the cheap Tusk brand.  i estimate I will only be using them 10%, or less, of the riding i plan to do (after the trip of course).  And Possibly their soft bags.

But when I look on Rocky Mountain web site, they don't recognize the T7 in their, "choose your ride", yet I see videos, and reports on them?? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Larry710 said:

SO... I put a deposit on it last week!

However, I am not getting it until week of july 1st 2021.  The thing is, I use to live in BC, Canada, but moved to NS, Canada.  And there is a popular cross country dirt bike race that falls on the july 1st weekend (canada day) in BC.

I want to go to this race, (watch only of course), so I thought I'd make a vacation out of it and buy the T7 in Vancouver, and hit up the race, then ride back to NS!

So I am dealing with the dealer early, to ensure they have enough time to get the bike in the color I want (white) and have it ready for me.  I figure the more notice I can give them the better.  Of course this is all subject to the covid situation being resolved to the point I do not have to isolate for 14 day at each end of the trip.   

The next 9 months also give me time to buy what I will need for the trip.  Thanks to your advice, I'll buy the bike stock, but add on the panniers rack and top case to carry my belongings during the trip, everything else can wait to be installed when I arrive back home.

Considering how often I will be using panniers, I am opting for the cheap Tusk brand.  i estimate I will only be using them 10%, or less, of the riding i plan to do (after the trip of course).  And Possibly their soft bags.

But when I look on Rocky Mountain web site, they don't recognize the T7 in their, "choose your ride", yet I see videos, and reports on them?? 

What a great plan!! Let me know your timeframe when things get closer and I can guide you across part of Ontario and show you some great routes. So many amazing options cutting across the Algonquin Park region.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

You wont regret buying it , just gonna be painful waiting, gives you time to get the extras tho!

If you want one sooner, drop me a note. I know where there is 6 available today. Pick a color, and pay your money and away you go.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 10/15/2020 at 4:02 PM, Canzvt said:

If you want one sooner, drop me a note. I know where there is 6 available today. Pick a color, and pay your money and away you go.

Oh, there isn't a problem getting one, there is even a white one at the dealer .5kms away from my work.  

I don't need it this late in the riding season.

I want to make a vacation/adventure for myself next spring.  Buy the bike on the west coast, and ride it home to the east, visit friends in BC, and hit up a race along the way!

It's a painfully long wait though!

• Like 1