Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ride the Bean

UtahJack

It is crazy to think that bridge had been out for over a year with no markings.  They were very lucky one of them wasn’t killed.  I really enjoy them.  They are like kids discovering the world.

• Like 2

Thoughts from a different point of view.

First let me just say that thank God they are both alive. You can by new bikes but not your health.

I have driven this place twice, from the north and from the south. From southbound the ditch is a bit harder to see, because of the little hill just before the ditch. From north (the direction they were driving) this place is clearly visible.

You can see the place on these two videos:

It is sad that the Norwegian public road administration was blamed for the lack of signs. I do not know if this was their own opinion or was it added by the newspaper people. The southern part of The Old Postal Route, in which this unfortunate accident happened, is a forest (or should we say abandoned) road which has no public transportation, except some reindeer herders and occasionally fishermen. The northern part is renewed and is drivable by a car or by a Goldwing.

I have been taught that you must be able to stop your motorcycle on the visible part of the road, both on tarmac and on gravel. I have been wondering that if they both drove side by side to the same ditch, could it have been that there was just too much speed compared to the driving skills? It was the first days of your long-awaited trip. The scenery was awesome, your camera was on and you thought: “This is going to look good on our video”. You weren’t totally focused on the driving when this happened.

Here in the north (by meaning Finland, Sweden and Norway) the forest roads do not have any traffic signs. You must always stay awake and beware of the numerous hard curves, deep ditches, cars and vans, log trucks, farmers with tractors size of a summer cottage, reindeers, tourists and other animals. And this is why we ride these roads. Because of the adventure and excitement.

I wish these two the best luck on their future journeys and safe rides to all of You.

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• 3 months later...

"She dropped the bomb on me.", I would love to hear from Pia's perspective about this. Most of us men are so stupid and blind that we don't see the marks that the woman has given to us for the past years. And how do I know this? Well...

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

I have followed them for a Year, and shocked by the accident, seemed a very nice couple, so sad they have parted, I was looking forward to a happy ending recovery and trip to be resumed. 

• 1 month later...

I learned from the Ride The Bean Instagram page that Pia passed away on Friday March 19th. I don't know the details but this news made me feel so sad. Rest in peace sweet Pia 💔

vår høyt elskede datter, søster, tante, niese, søskenbarn, venninne, kollega, sykepleier. Pias liv var å være sykepleier på nevrokirurgen og nevrointensiven på St. Olav, lange samtaler og sterke...

• Sad 4

^^  This is simply tragic & hard to believe news. Far too young. RideInPeace, Pia

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am looking for update. I did a bit of searching, but found no info on the cause of her death. Stunned to hear of her. Kenneth has not said in any of his recent videos. 

Someone posted on the Facebook page that Pia took her own life.

The whole episode is enormously sad. I worry for Kenneth.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1