Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bonding in the rain...

Great Escape

Had a 3 hour ride today in fairly heavy rain,  strong winds,  lots of muck and debris on the road.  It's on these rides that you bond with your bike...and the T7 did me proud.  Pirelli Scorpions are great in the wet, total confidence in them.  I wasn't hanging around,  and the T7 was a joy,  handling wise, engine wise...and the screen does a good job keeping the worst of the weather off. Love it!!!  Cheers,  Steve 20200929_121029.thumb.jpg.2cd7d7828ad5bb6564818e863115cb3b.jpg

• Like 4

Steve you have been very brave today, I tried to convince myself that its time to hit the road, but I couldn't... Happy you enjoyed... 👍 Aleks 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Great Escape said:

Had a 3 hour ride today in fairly heavy rain,  strong winds,  lots of muck and debris on the road.  It's on these rides that you bond with your bike...and the T7 did me proud.  Pirelli Scorpions are great in the wet, total confidence in them.  I wasn't hanging around,  and the T7 was a joy,  handling wise, engine wise...and the screen does a good job keeping the worst of the weather off. Love it!!!  Cheers,  Steve 20200929_121029.thumb.jpg.2cd7d7828ad5bb6564818e863115cb3b.jpg

Brilliant Steve and good man. I did 230 miles in torrential rain last week from Fort William to Powfoot near Dumfries. T7 was awesome. I agree that that the standard STR's are an amazing tyre in both the wet and the dry.

Good for you getting out!

Rich

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only downside was that I found out my 9 year old Klim trousers leak,  my 9 year old Forma boots leak,  my old Rukka jacket wets out badly,  and my cheap winter gloves have no waterproofing at all....time for some new gear! Still had a great ride...i was pretending i was heading off on my travels!!🤣

• Haha 3

Good for you dude. The bike gets better and better. Managed a quick spin and just dodged the rain. Hopefully we get a few more sunny days

1 hour ago, Great Escape said:

The only downside was that I found out my 9 year old Klim trousers leak,  my 9 year old Forma boots leak,  my old Rukka jacket wets out badly,  and my cheap winter gloves have no waterproofing at all....time for some new gear! Still had a great ride...i was pretending i was heading off on my travels!!🤣

He he. When it's wet, it's wet. I'd bought a brand new oversuit and waterproof gloves and was still soaked down the middle of my body to the nether regions. 70 mph and torrential rain from 9:30AM to 4:45PM when we finished did that!

Good for you getting out I say.

• Like 1

Had a ride down to Torque Racing Services on Saturday to have a Rally Raid rear spring fitted. Took me 2 hours to get there and another 2 hours or so to get back, most of it in the pouring rain. The M1 northbound going home was seriously not pleasant !

Really impressed with the T7, gave lots of confidence and was really surefooted, no drama's at all. Stayed dry too, but that's Halvarssons for you.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 10/5/2020 at 9:12 PM, Gazc said:

Had a ride down to Torque Racing Services on Saturday to have a Rally Raid rear spring fitted. Took me 2 hours to get there and another 2 hours or so to get back, most of it in the pouring rain. The M1 northbound going home was seriously not pleasant !

Really impressed with the T7, gave lots of confidence and was really surefooted, no drama's at all. Stayed dry too, but that's Halvarssons for you.

@Gazc and how did the bike feel with that new spring fitted ?

At a guess, it feels a bit more plush, but what I have noticed that with zero preload (gives the correct sag for me) when I put my lardy 75kg on the bike it settles smoothly and I can get a good solid foot down. That's worth it alone for me. This may also be helped by having the forks dropped I know.

Sorry it's not backed up by anything (before/after sag settings, preload and clicker numbers) and is only road based at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Will back that up as just fitted mine. Bought from KTMmitch off this forum and spoke to him before,

im 88!kgs fully clothed with helmet and went for the 85nm spring, fitted myself.

the orginal spring had 10 clicks before correct sag was reached, JUST.

no way is the original capable of rider panniers or pillion.

the new spring is very different being plusher and I didn’t manage to bottom it out today even with a bigger jump.

pre load completely off and sag is at 22mm.

it feels so much better and going for the RR open front suspension kit next.

good advice from and expert in the field.

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

^ Thanks , just ordered 90nm ^