Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First 300 km on a Rally Edition

marktbike

Well, my patience has been rewarded and the dealer was spot on, as always. So I took home my Rally Edition on Friday, enjoying it on the first 300 km since then. Coming from a 2019 Tracer 900 GT, the differences are evident. The bike is tall, I love that (I'm 189 cm) and the ergos are great for my taste. Asphalt riding, for me, though the road condition makes it similar to light off-road, more often than I'd like. Very light, nimble, the engine is a peach, willing and smooth. Thanks to the very short gearing, it goes down to 50 kph in sixth without any complaints. The gearbox itself is  spotless. Mileage is not great, the short gear ratio is showing and maybe I could switch to a 16T sprocket if I decide to embark on a longer trip. The seat is carved in wood, but it's not bothering me since it's very easy to stand for a moment and give some relax to the buttocks. Brakes are adequately smooth, but they don't feel lacking in stopping power. Protection from the air is minimal but till now I don't plan to change anything in that compartment. I miss some of the good things of the Tracer GT, like cruise control, heated grips, that lovely TFT panel insted of the not-so-charming GameBoy pad the T7 sports. Pirelli tyres are simply great, albeit noisy. 

Just my first impressions, more to come as kms pile on. Stay tuned...

marktbike on Instagram, if you are keen to social networks...

• Like 4

Congratulations on your new bike 🚲 👏,  glad your enjoying it.  The engine is a joy and gets better with a couple of thousand miles on it.  Those Scorpions are surprisingly brilliant!   Cheers,  Steve 

Marktbike, Like you I had a Tracer 900 GT, and I would like to have kept her but  with not enough garage space or cash to really justify the extravagance. What I will say is that Yamaha CP engines are superb, twins or triples and I am enjoying the wonderful engine of my new Tenere Rally 700. Sometimes it is uncannily like an electric bike, or what I'd imagine one to be like, smooth, punchy and with plenty of power. I sold a 650 V-Strom XT because it was just lacking a tad at motorway speed, however, not the T7.  Paradoxically from closed throttle I find it too sensitive which produces a less than smooth roll-on.  There are some bitches but perhaps for another post.

I am looking forward to a long-term ownership. 

• Like 1

By the way I went 1 tooth up on the engine sprocket which is very rewarding for road use. Best mod for 15 GBP.

• Like 1

Here I am again, this time with 1,000 km on the clock and the first service scheduled for this afternoon. A short update: the bike is a pleasure to ride on asphalt (my only surface, so far, I don't really plan to use it off-road). The STR give plenty of grip and confidence, the suspension with factory settings is satisfactory on the bumpy roads we have down here. A correction about the mileage: it is very good, it's the on-board computer that lies. It's way off, it says 27.2 kpl and I actually find (filling up the tank to the brim to compare) I got 29.5. Of course, conservative riding style, break-in rpm limit and so on.

I ride with earplugs so I don't suffer, but the aerodynamic noise is loud. There are no turbulences, though, so I don't think I'll go the way od getting a taller windshield. Gear shifting is smooth even at very low rpm, the CP2 engine so nicely willing to push the bike along at 2,000 rpm in 6th gear. This is something I'd hate to lose when going up a tooth with the front sprocket. PDanger, can you reassure me I'm not going to lose the lovely zippiness of the factory ratios?

Anyway, great feeling, I love the bike. Now I need a non invasive rear rack (Adventure Specs seems a good compromise) or the big decision to go the OEM panniers... 

20201016_114130.thumb.jpg.37a29081c0a1a16de4ed05a9c3dfc001.jpgMarkbike

Frankly I don't believe that you'll notice a difference with her on-road performance, only perhaps if you were traversing certain off0road technical features would it be noticeable, but even then I'm not sure.

Her willingness to pull strongly from low revs is one of her standout features, along with good fuel economy.

I have a Givi rack, without the Givi top plate, which is quite large & designed for a larger top box, and which I  want to avoid. I have a small, neat Give top box but I've had to make up a base plate  to fix the universal plate. I've uploaded some images.

20201016_114710.jpg

20201016_114559.jpg

• Like 1

Great, thanks. I think I'll gor the 16T sprocket road, now or at the 10,000 km service. That should fix some of the speedo error, that's close to 10%. As for the rear rack, GiVi could be a sensible solution, though I have no intention to use a top box.

Thanks PDanger, very useful info and very appreciated kindness!

• Moderators

Here is the least invasive rear rack I have found 

Made by a German outfit found here

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Looks space-age & very neat, where are the mounting points?  What is the maximum loading capacity?