Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mounting the Tenere by the Down Tube (Skid Plate): A bad idea?

loneranger700

Alright ya'll. I keep reading about this every couple of months and I think it's time we settle this..

Is it a bad idea to jack the Tenere 700 up by the skid plate (or the down tubes)? Everyone seems to be doing it (me included), so what's the big deal?

Well, according to our manuals, it's apparently a bad idea... Or is it?

oh no.jpg

Edited by loneranger700
  • Thanks 1

Well there goes the motorcycle jack. Center stand or Swing arm stands required. Thanks for sharing!

@OU812  A regular jack still works. Owner's manual (pg 7-36 in the Cdn manual) suggests putting a piece of wood between the jack and the crankcase so the jack lifts the bike by the engine crankcase without contacting the frame sub-members. Works fine, though for chain maint and rear wheel removal I just use a Trail Stand so bash plate removal isn't required.

• Thanks 1

I read this too and dont see how you are going to cause any damage for light maintenance jobs if you are experienced with flat bed lift stands and know what will and wont result in a tip over.

It immediately follows the notice on securely supporting the vehicle and ensuring it doesnt fall over so I wonder if they are, on one hand, covering themselves against any claims for a bike falling off a lift stand. Maybe the down tubes dent easily if they are not supported on a flat surface.

Ever since my hydraulic stand broke; I've used a Sealey MC5908 Scissor Stand (rated up to 450kg and doesnt cost much more than £50) I would'nt risk lifting the T700 with a basic MX stand.

It probably depends on which sump guard you're running.

I have the sw-motech guard fitted, can't see any probs with jacking under this with its addition cross bracing and thicker alloy plate. Also, probably best using a proper bike lifter with large lifting platform than a car jack.

I wouldn't jack under the standard guard. 

Added picture of the jack I use, large platform so weight should be spread relatively evenly.

3FC360E9-52E1-476B-A2FE-1F40B9EA1B60.jpeg

Edited by Alan M
Pic added
  • Like 1

There are some threads including here mentioned the two lower frame arms are just the cradle to support the engine weight while the upper frame & the engine itself are the actual stress member.

Can't seem to find the discussion right now...it is a hot topic on/off on ADVrider

49 minutes ago, Alan M said:

I have the sw-motech guard fitted, can't see any probs with jacking under this with its addition cross bracing and thicker alloy plate. Also, probably best using a proper bike lifter with large lifting platform than a car jack.

I agree, the OEM bash plate is too thin.

With the OEM bash plate on the bike I welded  different supporting bolts for my lift. It worked well, the bike was very stable.

WP_20191115_17_34_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.41b1749d54b2fc4eb0abdca0a730d2dd.jpgWP_20191115_17_36_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.3954b3a893915bca375a8cc82357217c.jpgWP_20191115_17_44_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.9d26d841c81246971e294b529c880b01.jpgWP_20191115_17_44_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.a985b79763470a165aa50ec7e268ca8c.jpg

Now I have the Heed guard fitted, it's flat underneath, 4 mm thick, six mounting points-two of them to the engine, so I can lift the bike without any worries using standard lift and a piece of wood. .  

Edited by slawmir

Let's think about this for a minute. Why would they say "Do not lift the vehicle with a jack-up stand by putting it under the downtubes." when every force (impact or otherwise) encountered by the skidplate transfers significant force directly into the downtubes? My guess is a safety hazard of the bike tipping over. I have an Outback Motortek (sorry) skid, that contacts the complete downtube length of both tubes running horizontally under the bike, and have fabricated the stand below. Can see ANYTHING that will induce appropriate stress or stress concentrations to the downtubes to render them damaged and non-functional. As the tubes are relatively close together, tip-over hazard would be my main concern.1338415884_RollerCenterstand.thumb.jpg.baada9c6698368e56fc9736edda1bb96.jpg

Edited by Canzvt
Stupid memory...
  • Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

2 hours ago, Alan M said:

Added picture of the jack I use, large platform so weight should be spread relatively evenly.

3FC360E9-52E1-476B-A2FE-1F40B9EA1B60.jpeg

Just like the one I plan to use but have not used yet. I have the ACD plate and it seems well built to distribute the bikes weight.