Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 on-costs.

Tommo

Has anyone tallied the on-costs of owning a T700,apart from initial purchase and customisation and assuming that all services are performed by Yamaha service centres.

Edited by Tommo

Not done cost for life, but my T7 is cheaper than a ATAS or GS to run by a mile. Much better on fuel (currently averaging 72.9 mpg), cheaper to insure and cheaper on servicing. 

A mixture of about 80% A,B,C roads, 18% dual carriageway/motorway, 2% fire tracks (only done offroading in Wales). Best I’ve had was about 80mpg, but I’ve never had less than 70mpg and I’ve got almost 3000 miles on the clock since the middle of August 2020. I might add I’m no spring chicken and my days of riding “like I stole it” are long gone, but I dont bumble along at 40 either. 

(Actually I have had it down to 68mpg when I rode 210 mile to north Cornwall a few weeks back, with a head wind most the way)

Edited by Alf Meister
Added

2 hours ago, Alf Meister said:

Not done cost for life, but my T7 is cheaper than a ATAS or GS to run by a mile. Much better on fuel (currently averaging 72.9 mpg), cheaper to insure and cheaper on servicing. 

I've found that if the eco thing is on then the bike is sipping gas. I did a ride a few weeks ago where i tried to keep that eco light on the whole time and I didn't have the F guage come on till 180 whereas it normally comes on at 150 and when filling it up at 200 miles it only took 3.1 gallons.

I have run mine for 900 km so I can only talk about consumption. Riding very conservatively on A and B roads, a couple of fill-ups have told me that I'm getting between 29,5 and 29,7 kml (about 83 mpg UK). Even considering the break-in period (under 5,000 rpm) and the relaxed ride, it's a great result. By the way, the on-board computer is outright lying in a pessimistic way, because it keeps on telling I'm getting about 27 kml (76 mpg UK). The weird thing is that the Tracer 900 GT's one was lying as well, but by being optimistic...

• Premium Member

Nope, but in comparison with similar it fairs well and is good. As good fuel economy, with good reliability and part common parts from other Yamaha’s  all help make it comparable more affordable.