Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anybody successfully fitted Denali DataDim 2.0?

FredBasset

Ok guys, I know there are threads with fitting aux lights and the issues with 12v full beam trigger wire, but I wondered if anybody has successfully fitted the Denali DataDim 2.0 wiring harness, with a working high beam trigger. 

I’m no electrician, although I successfully installed Denali D2’s with DataDim and a MCCruise control system, on a 2018 ATAS. However, this was with instructions that were written for the Lay person, and “held my hand” all through the installation. Concerning the T7, although I’ve read the threads on aux lights installs, I understand where the full beam trigger wire is, (on the right side of the bike above the radiator area), but I still don’t understand what’s required, as its not just a simple tap into the wire, is it?

Ive contacted my dealer and Denali, but they either can’t help, or haven’t as yet replied. I thought Denali would’ve been able to help, as they have a T7 project bike, with various Denali product fitted. 

So, I was wondering, is anybody able to give a Lay Person a bit help with this Full beam trigger wire connection, i.e, a walk through with full beam trigger wire to a clean 12v signal. 

The photo shows the basic Denali wiring harness, which has two wires with posi taps, one white (switched power) and the blue for the full beam trigger. I already know how and where to do the switched power, as well as the rest of the harness, its just the full beam I’m not sure how to do. 

If anybody can help, I’m sure it wont just me, who benefits from your kindness.  

Cheers

31F22435-5743-4867-BF6A-BE9A110C9014.jpeg

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 1

The problem is that the high beam wire doesn’t provide 12 v when on.  Since the T7 has LED headlights the available headlight wire doesn’t provide what’s needed by the Datadim module.  At this point the only option I have been able to find is three position switch they offer.  It is a shame that they list it as being compatible with the T7, even though it is only partially compatible.  I sent any inquiry to Twisted Throttle and never heard a thing from them.

On 10/13/2020 at 12:22 AM, FredBasset said:

Ok guys, I know there are threads with fitting aux lights and the issues with 12v full beam trigger wire, but I wondered if anybody has successfully fitted the Denali DataDim 2.0 wiring harness, with a working high beam trigger. 

I’m no electrician, although I successfully installed Denali D2’s with DataDim and a MCCruise control system, on a 2018 ATAS. However, this was with instructions that were written for the Lay person, and “held my hand” all through the installation. Concerning the T7, although I’ve read the threads on aux lights installs, I understand where the full beam trigger wire is, (on the right side of the bike above the radiator area), but I still don’t understand what’s required, as its not just a simple tap into the wire, is it?

Ive contacted my dealer and Denali, but they either can’t help, or haven’t as yet replied. I thought Denali would’ve been able to help, as they have a T7 project bike, with various Denali product fitted. 

So, I was wondering, is anybody able to give a Lay Person a bit help with this Full beam trigger wire connection, i.e, a walk through with full beam trigger wire to a clean 12v signal. 

The photo shows the basic Denali wiring harness, which has two wires with posi taps, one white (switched power) and the blue for the full beam trigger. I already know how and where to do the switched power, as well as the rest of the harness, its just the full beam I’m not sure how to do. 

If anybody can help, I’m sure it wont just me, who benefits from your kindness.  

Cheers

31F22435-5743-4867-BF6A-BE9A110C9014.jpeg

I have both the d2 and S4 light kits fitted with data dim working correctly. You need to use the conventional relay included in your kit. Use the yellow wire from the high beam to control the ground trigger for the relay. Use a 12v supply from the battery to supply power through the relay to your data dim trigger wire. Hope this makes sense..

• Like 1

You need a relay between the bike's high beam wire and the Data Dim blue full beam wire. This will give the DataDim a "clean" 12v on high beam and 0v on low beam.

See attached wiring diagram. I am using the Skene controller, but it should be the same wiring as the Denali.

PXL_20201014_204455224.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Absolutely doable. You will need at least 4 pins relay. Make a Y splitter from aux connector to 3x switched + as you will need 1x to connect to white Denali wire, 1x to power relay, 1x to pass clear +12v via relay to Denali blue wire. You will then use yellow wire from the head lamp circuit as a negative to power the relay. That’s it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fred you seem to have made this look simple.  I would like to fit the Denali D4 2.0 with their Datadim module to my T7 and would be grateful if you could please help.

Am I right in ordering the above relay which I can buy from Ebay for £3.45 using this link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Relay-4-PIN-Automotive-30AMP-30a-Normally-Open-Contact-Fused-RY28-30a-fuse/11243217240   ? 

If I need the relay is it a straight forward case of locating the high beam wire (yellow in the diagram no. 86) and tapping into that, connecting the blue trigger wire from the Datadim module and connecting to no.87, then using a fresh 12 V supply, splitting and connecting to No.30 and no. 85?

Sorry for asking what may be an obvious couple of questions but I want to get this right.  For some reason this seems to be a bit of a challenge!!!

Many thanks

Buzz

@Buzz Lightyear

The relay you have referred to is ok. Any normally open 4 terminal automotive relay is ok.

The hardest part is identifying the yellow high beam wire which is visible in a connector behind the right hand front side panel. I'm sure it has been identified in earlier posts on this subject.

Good luck.

• 6 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, Engineer said:

@FredBassetI can't remember where it came from but the attached diagram shows you all you need.

image.jpeg.3674b91dcb9eb76f5790b92ec76c3d4c.jpeg

Would I still use the white wire from the denali harness, for switched signal power with this relay setup?

• Like 1