Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tyre changing

luke2152

Question

I'm switching my tyres soon. I've done sportsbike tyres and mountain bike tyres but never done a tubed moto tyre. Do I still need to break the bead? And do I really need to balance them? Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Yes, you'll need to break the bead just as with tubeless tires. As for balancing, I'd really recommend it if you ride mostly on pavement at higher speeds. If you just use it for trails and dirt, balancing is less important/won't influence vibration and wear as much.

• Like 1

Watch some excellent YouTube videos on this topic.

Since the bike uses tubes watch the dirt bike ones. Do not watch videos for tubliss or bib mousse but for tubes.

Most problems are related to lack of lube and not getting the tire in the drop center of the rim which the vids explain well.

Warm the tire to soften it.

Install the tube with a bit of air to avoid pinching it.

Look up the zip tie method which works well also.

The Motion Pro bead breaker tool can be used trail side as well as the garage.

If you are having difficulty review technique.

Well worth learning this skill.

• Like 2

As above and also,

It takes quite a bit of time and effort the first few times. Good tools are well worth the money paid.

It is very easy to scratch the rims, so use rim protectors.

a valve puller can be bought or made out of an old valve and bit of wire. This makes pulling the valve  into position so easy and not frustrating.

Make sure the light spot is next to the valve to try to balance the tyre as best as possible. I've never balanced a tyre on an adv bike with tubes over the past 10 years. I've never really noticed any problem.

One secret I found out only with some horrid experience is to really clean the inside of the rim well to remove shards of old tyre. This makes seating the bead so much easier. lube with the mrs's hair conditioner which is usually easily avialble and gets the job done easily.

Pay special attention to the rotational direction arrows on the tyre. It is not fun to finally get the tyre fitted and find it is on the wrong way round and then you have to start all over again.

Not that I ve ever made that schoolboy error🙄

• Like 5

I bought a beat-up second hand rim of the right size and used an old tire to practice. I can highly recommend that. You don't want to try this first time by the side of the road. I spent half an afternoon with a mate, first helping each other, but at the end timed each other who could get a tire off and back on the fastest. Best afternoon ever 😊.

Well, actually I have had way better afternoons, but you get the point ;-).

Edited by WalterT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WalterT said:

I bought a beat-up second hand rim of the right size and used an old tire to practice. I can highly recommend that. You don't want to try this first time by the side of the road. I spent half an afternoon with a mate, first helping each other, but at the end timed each other who could get a tire off and back on the fastest. Best afternoon ever 😊.

Well, actually I have had way better afternoons, but you get the point ;-).

Sounds like a a case of beer job...:P

kudo to learning...I need to do the same...

First time I changed a tube was on my old shadow on the side of the road...figure I could do it "faster" than calling a tow truck which usually 2+ hours around my area...

I was wrong...very wrong...pinched TWO TUBES I had with me and ended up calling the truck anyway...lol...

I put a pair on Anakee Wilds on tonight. Definitely underestimated the job a bit.

Rear tyre: Broke the beads easily on the stock tyre, popped one side off, got the tube out. Really struggled to get the other bead of the tyre to pop of the rim (this bit probably took me an hour). New Anakee went on easily but required spoons almost from the start. Had a bit of trouble getting the valve in but nothing major.

Front tyre: Bead broke really easily and tyre came off much more easily than the rear. Anakee went on easily too apart from getting the valve in. I shouldn't have ignored Dobbi's advice on the valve puller - was bloody hard to get it in without one.

In both cases I needed to use levers pretty much from the start to get the tyres on as the sidewalls seemed incredibly stiff.

Break the beads on both sides before dismounting one side. Sometimes its easier to break the bead with a pound or 2 of air in it.

• Like 1