Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Supporting the bike

norton73

Question

Tried the search function, but no luck. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have ordered a spring for the rear shock, and am wondering how others supported the bike while replacing it. Yamaha says not to use the lower frame rails, so that leaves out using a scissors jack. Can't use a Pitbull stand on the swingarm.

I don't have a centerstand, haven't decided whether to get one yet.

9 answers to this question

Mine is sitting on a scissor jack right now with front and rear suspension removed. Not the first time and it won’t be the last.

734DCF1D-8D55-4F87-AC42-4C49FE73D251.jpeg

Edited by Limey

What I use every time it get put into the garage (after every ride). Don't need a centerstand, and it rolls to move it around in the shop. Simple lever up/over center lock/lever down.

Roller Center stand.jpg

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Premium Member

I have used in the past and will use again, an A-Frame ladder, the bike front or rear end suspended from the A-Frame (ladder frame setup standing over the bike)   

I did get a used bike jack as well, not crazy about picking up the bike by the oem skid-plate.. I'm not 100% sure I trust it yet...

Tazmool

• Like 1

I used a trolley jack jacked against the. Sump bolt on the right hand side and put a small block of wood under the side stand. Thays how i changed my rear spring. Ive now bought a hepco centre stand.

1 hour ago, Tazmool said:

I have used in the past and will use again, an A-Frame ladder, the bike front or rear end suspended from the A-Frame (ladder frame setup standing over the bike)   

I did get a used bike jack as well, not crazy about picking up the bike by the oem skid-plate.. I'm not 100% sure I trust it yet...

Tazmool

which front A-frame jack did you get for the T7?

I used to use my brother's stand for his ninja, but he has since sold it...

• Premium Member

I bought it used on Kijiji, its an old PowerFist (Princess Auto) unit.

I think any bike jack will work (anything designed for a cruiser) the Canadian Tire units, or something nicer etc.
The unit I have also came with an adapter to pick up the bike by its lower frame, have not tried that yet.

Tazmool

On 11/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, Canzvt said:

What I use every time it get put into the garage (after every ride). Don't need a centerstand, and it rolls to move it around in the shop. Simple lever up/over center lock/lever down.

Roller Center stand.jpg

Have you got any more info on this item or a link to where I can get it? Looks like just the trick for my workshop...

• Like 1

The only link I have on this is in my garage...:classic_cool: and my computer. If you are handy with machine shop tools and have access to a CNC plasma/waterjet/laser, I can send you the files and you can build your own.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 11/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, norton73 said:

Tried the search function, but no luck. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have ordered a spring for the rear shock, and am wondering how others supported the bike while replacing it. Yamaha says not to use the lower frame rails, so that leaves out using a scissors jack. Can't use a Pitbull stand on the swingarm.

I don't have a centerstand, haven't decided whether to get one yet.

This isn't a tech tip, so im moving this out of the tech tips section.