Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First Ride

Gary Dirt

Took home my new T7 a week ago and finally got it registered. In the mean time I put on crash bars,Radiator guard hard wired a GPS, and ordered a bunch of stuff .. I was able to taker her out tonight for about 12 miles and found it to be a little harsh but I figure the suspension will work its way in .. I'm 172 lbs. and I did my best to measure my rear sag ( solo, taping the measuring tape at the axle  ) and it looks like Im getting about 38mm static and 68 mm rider sag . This is with the setting in stock position ( preload 10 clicks ) ..

I have Adventure spec rear and side racks coming, center stand . 

At the current  setup i think I'm in the ballpark with stock springs seeing I have plenty of preload to work with . BUT I went and ordered a rear spring from Race tech and they recommend a 8.01  but my choices was a 7.9 or 8.5 and I called and they said they would rather use less pre load so go for the 8.5..  I did all this before even riding the bike .

So the bike seems a little harsh But does the suspension sag a little after break in ??  Or assuming once the bike is ready for an adventure with bags and all that a beefier spring might work better ??? as the extra preload will eat up the plusher beginning stage of the shock travel ???.. 

BTW when checking sag are supposed to back off the preload completely ???? 

Any Thoughts ??? on all of above issues