Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Long term assessment of the lowering seat.


Allen Kelly
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been using the lowering seat now for 8 months and firstly I will say it helped to get my feet planted on the ground. It is reasonably comfortable short term riding but herein lays the problem. If you plan to ride medium to long distance (roughly 2 hours) it is bloody uncomfortable, you can guarantee you are going to wiggling around on it trying to alleviate the discomfort within your rear end. I would not recommend anyone using it for these types of riding. Lowering links would be the go or else a pair of platform boots for us vertically challenged riders. Cheers all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to contradict you (because it's all a matter of opinion). I have a low seat and lowering links and I my bum loves the seat but I'm not so happy about the links (ground clearance and side stand issues). Once I've got a few more hours on the bike I'll be putting the original links back in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I installed the Yamaha lowering links.   For the cost the difference wasn't worth it.    They made the rear suspension a lot softer. I had to add more preload to the rear shock.  I did not like how it affected the ride and the loss of ground clearance.   I put the stock links back on.  Thanks Allen for posting I was considering the seat.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey folks!

What are your heights? I'm around 5'8"/171 cm with a 30"/77cm inseam.

 

I'm going to pick up my T7 this week and hadn't planned to do any lowering right out of the gate.

 

I sat on one at a dealer back in August and to my recollection it was tall but not impossible to manage. I only sat on it for a moment because it was already sold and the salesperson was a bit antsy about me sitting on it at all, hahahah.

 

I was on the balls of my feet which coming from a '99 F650 I have become accustomed to (that bike also weighs about 450 pounds however I never cared much if it took a little tip). I felt (or had convinced myself) that the narrower profile of the T7 seemed to allow me to get better extension on my legs even though it is taller than the F650.

 

I am worried that perhaps in my eagerness I had convinced myself it'd be fine when in fact I should be coming up with a height solution.

 

If I do need to lower it I think I'd rather lower the seat over using the lowering links. If the Yamaha lower seat is that uncomfortable maybe the Seat Concepts lower seat would be marginally better?

 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am 5’9” with a 30 inch inseam and I have been riding mine standard height since May with no real problems. I didn’t want to go the lowering link route as it does take away a small amount off road.

I am however looking forward to getting the lower seat from SC for more comfort first but also a little more control.

I would not worry about the height of it as it is easy to get an extra inch with the lower seat. IMHO.

Edited by DWEL700
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, luke2152 said:

Just to contradict you (because it's all a matter of opinion). I have a low seat and lowering links and I my bum loves the seat but I'm not so happy about the links (ground clearance and side stand issues). Once I've got a few more hours on the bike I'll be putting the original links back in.

How tall are you ? I am 5’7 (170cm) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to follow up and add more data points here I picked up my bike last Saturday and while it is quite tall so far it hasn't been unmanageable. I just try to time stoplights so I don't have to put a foot down and been doing Idaho stops at stop signs...

 

I'm waiting on the Seat Concepts low kit so I'll update once I get that. I too am hoping to avoid lowering links because of the clearance/sidestand issues but then again slightly lowering the bike's center of gravity might be worth it for low-speed situations...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, August88 said:

How tall are you ? I am 5’7 (170cm) 

I'm also 170cm. I will say the lowering links have been good for getting used to the bike and despite the sidestand issue it is fine on suitable ground. Just not on marginal stuff. I have to get off and open a lot of gates on my rides so sidestand is probably more of an annoyance to me than most. Also lowering links are so cheap and easy to fit that it does no harm trying them.

Edited by luke2152
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, luke2152 said:

I'm also 170cm. I will say the lowering links have been good for getting used to the bike and despite the sidestand issue it is fine on suitable ground. Just not on marginal stuff. I have to get off and open a lot of gates on my rides so sidestand is probably more of an annoyance to me than most. Also lowering links are so cheap and easy to fit that it does no harm trying them.

I lived that “too tall” kick stand life.  I hated it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2020 at 6:40 AM, HoboHighlander said:

Just to follow up and add more data points here I picked up my bike last Saturday and while it is quite tall so far it hasn't been unmanageable. I just try to time stoplights so I don't have to put a foot down and been doing Idaho stops at stop signs...

 

I'm waiting on the Seat Concepts low kit so I'll update once I get that. I too am hoping to avoid lowering links because of the clearance/sidestand issues but then again slightly lowering the bike's center of gravity might be worth it for low-speed situations...

What do you mean (IDAHO STOPS)   We have stop signs in Idaho?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
On 11/15/2020 at 12:46 PM, luke2152 said:

Just to contradict you (because it's all a matter of opinion). I have a low seat and lowering links and I my bum loves the seat but I'm not so happy about the links (ground clearance and side stand issues). Once I've got a few more hours on the bike I'll be putting the original links back in.

Hey Luke give this a try, on the side stand there is a protruding lug that stops the stand against the frame. If you file the upper section of that lug milometer by milometer you will be able to get the bike to your desired lean. You were right in what you said about the bike being to upright with the links attached. I took photos before and after and I have got the bike now leaning at the same angle as before fitting the lowering links. Cheers mate.  

 

I made this alteration almost 12 months ago and have had no problems since.  

 

    IMG_3163.1.thumb.jpg.2b6d53b2023eac350c6a99f9011684e4.jpgIMG_3164.1.thumb.jpg.fc2e86e251f076a8e09006fcb3ede86f.jpgIMG_3165.1.thumb.jpg.6689d810b0a200aed9d4c4f6e7cb8db6.jpgIMG_3166.1.thumb.jpg.148dd6251026d5643ce3c3d4be35d1ad.jpgIMG_3167.1.thumb.jpg.907595d9f8615a9f3cfb0eb8c6ed0765.jpg

Edited by Allen Kelly
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that Allen. I didn't even think of that and it looks like a great solution. How much material did you need to remove (roughly) just a couple of mm?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I rode the bike for a bit waiting for it to settle but just didn't like being on my toes. I installed the RR dog bones, lowered the front end by about 15mm and installed the low seat. I also installed an adjustable side stand from T-rex. Bike is more manageable for me now. But yes, the Yamaha low seat is horribly uncomfortable for anything over an hour. I did a 500 mile ride last weekend and was miserable by the time I got home. I have already put in an order (request) on the SC group buy. I am  going for a standard height seat, as the bike has actually settled a bit and after dealing with the low seat train wreck, I don't even want to go anywhere near it again.

 

Btw... lowering links don't make the suspension softer (or firmer), that is nonsensical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30" inseam as well. I hate lowering bikes so I opted to give the OEM Low seat a shot. At $108 shipped I figured it was worth a shot. I added an Air Hawk Dual sport pad and its not a bad compromise.  A buddy had the seat concepts comfort seat. I rode it for a few miles and didn't find it all that comfortable so I doubt I will spend $300 on gamble.   If you really want comfort send your seat off to Russel Day Long.....Not really good for off-road but your butt will thank you. Have one on my S10 and its the best money I spent on the bike. YMMV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doesn't putting a low seat on then adding an air hawk put you right back where you were at stock height again, and then some? I understand its maybe a bit more comfy with the ah but just seems like its defeating the purpose. I am willing to take a gamble with Seat Concepts "comfort" seat for $210 - after group buy discount. RDL seats are over twice as much as $300... if you want an old man FJR seat on a T7??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5'5" guy with a 29" inseam here. Don't have the bike yet, but I've sat on one at the dealership. I couldn't reach the ground with both feet even while tip-toeing when the bike is upright, and while I could move over and plant one foot down on one side, my other leg is raised so high that it's very uncomfortable. It might be something I could get used to with time, but with the stop-and-go type traffic I deal with on my everyday commute, it's considerably less than ideal. I am considering taking a gamble with the Rally Raid 20mm lowering links + Seat Concepts low comfort seat, but really at this point in time I'm more interested in the experiences of people who are in the same situation as me and have a similar enough lowering setup to what I'm looking at and their opinions on how much it helped or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the Rally Raid lowering links in conjunction with raising the fork tubes helped. I have had tall bikes before and not lowered them but this bike was just a bit taller than I was comfortable with. I'm not a huge fan of lowering bikes either but in this case that 1.5" (with low seat) really seemed to help. I didn't see a way around it, just a little too tall for me to not. I wish I was a little bit taller! Anyway, the RR links are only $38 compared to Yamaha's $120? Plus, RR are 20mm vs Yamaha at 18mm. I am going to go back to a standard height now that the bike has settled in and see how that goes. I do not notice ant negative or adverse effect on lowering the bike 3/4". Sure you lose a little clearance but not enough to even really be concerned with, imo. Some seem to be under the impression that adding lowering links changes the rigidity of the suspension... please tell me how? I'm all ears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JohnnieBoy said:

Doesn't putting a low seat on then adding an air hawk put you right back where you were at stock height again, and then some? I understand its maybe a bit more comfy with the ah but just seems like its defeating the purpose. I am willing to take a gamble with Seat Concepts "comfort" seat for $210 - after group buy discount. RDL seats are over twice as much as $300... if you want an old man FJR seat on a T7??? 

 

Yes it adds back in height ( maybe 1/2") but it gave me comfort and not gained any height. I wasn't suggesting an RDL for this bike. Just if you want the ultimate comfort its the way to go.  I did say it wasn't for off-road. I disagree it being overpriced as being able to ride 600+ miles without being sore is worth every cent. I think I paid around $350 for my S10 seat. My ass doesn't care if it looks like an "old man" seat and well I am an old man so.......I'm okay with that. I stopped worrying about how I look on a bike a long time ago....Function over form is what I care about. 

 

$210 on the group buy if they reach maximum discount, plus shipping you will be close to $250 at least. Again after riding on one I am not taking the chance just didn't feel right to me. YMMV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am also an old man (73) with 170 cm tall and 77 cm inseam; my riding weight is 73 kg. I have the OEM lowering links with low seat and pushed through fork (15mm). I get along with it well on the road (real terrain I do not want to ride).
Problems I have with the side stand, including when it sometimes won't fold out or in without leaning the bike to the right; this isn't fixed by filing down the nose as described above, but all this can be fixed by fitting a shorter stand (e.g. Camel ADV or similar).
The low seat also causes me problems, because it is not suitable for longer tours (just like the normal seat). Since I am used to much harder saddles from my MTB, which I can ride for hours, I have resolved to equip the seat cushion in the area of the sit bones with significantly harder foam (compound foam).
What else would interest me: is there any experience with main stands on lowered bikes? I'm afraid that I do not get the bike on the main stand (which is not a problem for me with the not lowered bike).

Greetings Norbert

 

Edited by norei
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Offcamber said:

 

Yes it adds back in height ( maybe 1/2") but it gave me comfort and not gained any height. I wasn't suggesting an RDL for this bike. Just if you want the ultimate comfort its the way to go.  I did say it wasn't for off-road. I disagree it being overpriced as being able to ride 600+ miles without being sore is worth every cent. I think I paid around $350 for my S10 seat. My ass doesn't care if it looks like an "old man" seat and well I am an old man so.......I'm okay with that. I stopped worrying about how I look on a bike a long time ago....Function over form is what I care about. 

 

$210 on the group buy if they reach maximum discount, plus shipping you will be close to $250 at least. Again after riding on one I am not taking the chance just didn't feel right to me. YMMV

I never said an RDL seat was overpriced, only that it would be way more expensive than the $300 you apparently aren't willing to spend on a Seat Concepts full (2 up) comfort seat, pan included. And it looks like it will end up being $210 as there are well over the 11+ needed for 30% off of $300, actually over 40 showing interest so far. For a single seat only, Russell starts at $450 and goes up to $800, with you supplying your own pan - plus other possible fee's. Don't get me wrong, I am all for comfort seats! I have been altering shitty stock motorcycle seats for years in one way or another. I had a Rich's gel seat on my 2009 FJR, which was fantastic. I ditched the lousy Corbin brick that came on my 2013 FJR (courtesy of the po) and paid over $600 for an "old man" seat, just not from RDL. 

 

You bought a stock low seat (like I did), which sucks. I knew going in that my purchase would be temporary. The low seat was around $120 - $140 and then the Airhawk around $85 - $100, which pretty much raised your seat height back up to stock - basically defeating the purpose of the low seat, correct? For $210 (yes, plus shipping I'm sure), I will gladly see how Lendon & Robert do with their "comfort seat." It certainly can't be worse than a shitty stock Yamaha seat with an Airhawk on top, for less money ... Right???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JohnnieBoy said:

I never said an RDL seat was overpriced, only that it would be way more expensive than the $300 you apparently aren't willing to spend on a Seat Concepts full (2 up) comfort seat, pan included. And it looks like it will end up being $210 as there are well over the 11+ needed for 30% off of $300, actually over 40 showing interest so far. For a single seat only, Russell starts at $450 and goes up to $800, with you supplying your own pan - plus other possible fee's. Don't get me wrong, I am all for comfort seats! I have been altering shitty stock motorcycle seats for years in one way or another. I had a Rich's gel seat on my 2009 FJR, which was fantastic. I ditched the lousy Corbin brick that came on my 2013 FJR (courtesy of the po) and paid over $600 for an "old man" seat, just not from RDL. 

 

You bought a stock low seat (like I did), which sucks. I knew going in that my purchase would be temporary. The low seat was around $120 - $140 and then the Airhawk around $85 - $100, which pretty much raised your seat height back up to stock - basically defeating the purpose of the low seat, correct? For $210 (yes, plus shipping I'm sure), I will gladly see how Lendon & Robert do with their "comfort seat." It certainly can't be worse than a shitty stock Yamaha seat with an Airhawk on top, for less money ... Right???

  You missed my point....Low seat was only 108. I had the air hawk from another bike. I wasn't trying to get the bike down low. I know how to ride tall bikes, and lowering the seat to much just ends up cramping your legs IMO.  The bikes height is really not an issue. Yeah I'd like to flat foot it but I am use to tall bikes. My goal was to stay in the same range. Which I accomplished.  RDLs aren't for everyone especially if you are on budget. SC seats are not in the same league as RDLs for comfort. I know, I have owned both.  I wouldn't put one of the T7 anyway.  I have other bikes for long distance travel. 

 

I don't want the SC because I already rode on one and didn't like it.....I don't expect the one piece to be any better than the single. So how much savings, is irrelevant.  Also the fact that we won't see them till August at the earliest was a deal breaker. I wanted a solution today not 3 months from now. 

We agree on one thing Corbins are bricks...

 

Hope you enjoy the SC seat and it works out for you.....So far I'm happy with my current setup.  Everyone's butt is different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Offcamber said:

  You missed my point....Low seat was only 108. I had the air hawk from another bike. I wasn't trying to get the bike down low. I know how to ride tall bikes, and lowering the seat to much just ends up cramping your legs IMO.  The bikes height is really not an issue. Yeah I'd like to flat foot it but I am use to tall bikes. My goal was to stay in the same range. Which I accomplished.  RDLs aren't for everyone especially if you are on budget. SC seats are not in the same league as RDLs for comfort. I know, I have owned both.  I wouldn't put one of the T7 anyway.  I have other bikes for long distance travel. 

 

I don't want the SC because I already rode on one and didn't like it.....I don't expect the one piece to be any better than the single. So how much savings, is irrelevant.  Also the fact that we won't see them till August at the earliest was a deal breaker. I wanted a solution today not 3 months from now. 

We agree on one thing Corbins are bricks...

 

Hope you enjoy the SC seat and it works out for you.....So far I'm happy with my current setup.  Everyone's butt is different. 

You quoted your 30" inseam and said you'd give the low seat a try. Typically the only reason most people would sacrifice the comfort of a standard size seat for a low is to get their feet more firmly "planted on the ground," as the op stated in his first sentence. You have a 30" inseam but have no trouble riding tall bikes? Great. So you buy a low seat but then put an Airhawk on it, while complaining about low seats? Then  recommend one of the most expensive seat makers out there while claiming budget consciousness. Then bash a seat you haven't even tried (assuming it will "be the same the single foam kit"), that the guys at SC are working really hard on getting out us - at a sizable discount on a group buy.  $210 is a smoking deal for a full seat with a supplied pan and I'm happy to give these guys my $$$ and support their business. I have every confidence that it will be way more comfortable than Yamaha's shitty stock seat. And no, RDL and SC are not in the same league - NO Shet?  You go ahead and keep your stock low seat that you don't really need with an Airhawk on it. Better yet, Go spend $500 - $900 at RDL, then probably complain about on a forum. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JohnnieBoy said:

You quoted your 30" inseam and said you'd give the low seat a try. Typically the only reason most people would sacrifice the comfort of a standard size seat for a low is to get their feet more firmly "planted on the ground," as the op stated in his first sentence. You have a 30" inseam but have no trouble riding tall bikes? Great. So you buy a low seat but then put an Airhawk on it, while complaining about low seats? Then  recommend one of the most expensive seat makers out there while claiming budget consciousness. Then bash a seat you haven't even tried (assuming it will "be the same the single foam kit"), that the guys at SC are working really hard on getting out us - at a sizable discount on a group buy.  $210 is a smoking deal for a full seat with a supplied pan and I'm happy to give these guys my $$$ and support their business. I have every confidence that it will be way more comfortable than Yamaha's shitty stock seat. And no, RDL and SC are not in the same league - NO Shet?  You go ahead and keep your stock low seat that you don't really need with an Airhawk on it. Better yet, Go spend $500 - $900 at RDL, then probably complain about on a forum. 

 Dude calm down....bash? I didn't bash I just said I didn't like it. Your one of those last word kind a guys I get it. As I said hope SC  works for you and whomever buys one....

 

 

I'm done....Cheers.....  

 

Edited by Offcamber
spellin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2021 at 11:29 PM, luke2152 said:

Thanks for that Allen. I didn't even think of that and it looks like a great solution. How much material did you need to remove (roughly) just a couple of mm?

Hey Luke sorry for the delay just got back from a bit of a trip. I wasn’t sure how much to remove at the time so cautiously I removed about a millimetre at a time with the bike on level ground until I was happy with the lean from memory I think I removed 2 mm. There is plenty of meat there to remove and I dome mine early last year and have had no drama. Cheers Mate.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.