Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Soft back brakes??

jdk2man

Hi there,

Just got my T7 yesterday. When I test drove it, well, actually when I drove it to put it in my truck and take home, I noticed the brakes being real soft. I really had to push down to stop it quickly. And even then.... Its kinda like when you just did your brakes on your car and you haven't pumped them yet. Where the brake pedal goes down all the way but barely brakes.

I wouldn't think its normal but I am not sure how the anti-lock works on this. 

I don't remember my S10 being this soft.

I assume it can be adjusted?

Thanks

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat - brakes work, but too soft. I'm planning to flush and bleed this weekend to see if I can get them to tighten up. My other bikes have braided lines, so my internal meter may be off, but these are definitely too spongy for me. I also think the peg needs to be lower and/or the brake lever needs to be raised. More for my weekend tweak list.

The pads and discs haven’t been bed in yet if its brand new. Just bed them in carefully split between front and rear like all brakes and they become much better

Mine are the same.  Nowhere as good as my old 660 brakes.  Tend to use both front and back at the same time more than just the back these days.

It doesn't help with them being soft and its Kind  of late now but the disc’s need to be cleaned with brake cleaner right out of the box. Even just rolling the bike to the showroom without doing that puts the oil from the disc to the pads. Quite a difference in braking power if cleaned properly right away.

I bled mine early on, made it better.  I'd like the lever up higher, but my quick take was that it wasn't just a simple adjustment

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 6:37 AM, NvNick said:

It doesn't help with them being soft and its Kind  of late now but the disc’s need to be cleaned with brake cleaner right out of the box. Even just rolling the bike to the showroom without doing that puts the oil from the disc to the pads. Quite a difference in braking power if cleaned properly right away.

I clean my rotors with brake cleaner too as regular maintenance. Rag always comes out black and yucky.