Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Motorcycle jack broke and dropped bike. Need a little help.

MikeCMP

So almost a brand new bike. I bought one of those scissor style jacks and it showed up yesterday. The second time I used it, that day being today, it broke with the T700 on it.

So now I need to replace that. Looks like the parts number is BAU-2835V-00-P3. Does anyone know if it comes with the emblems and stickers on it already? I don't even know how to find out as  I am sure parts for this thing as as rare as the bikes themselves.

Super mad / upset. Luckily I was on the opposite side of it falling. 

oh and of course it had to bend the exhaust.

Mike

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

Edited by MikeCMP
  • Sad 2

That's really bad luck there buddy, I feel for you.

Is that one of those cheap Chinese jacks like they sell on Ebay that are supposedly rated to 500kg??

Did that drive nut shear off or did it unscrew from the cross bolt?

I got this lift from AMZ. 1,100 lbs rating according to the product description.

I have a ATV hydraulic lift and a Motorcycle hydraulic lift table, couple paddock stands, and dirt bike stands/lifts.

For the T7 I got the following lift from AMZ, as it's small enough to fit under the skid plate. Seems very well built. Operates really smoothly.

VIVOHOME Steel Motorcycle ATV Scissor Lift Jack Crank Hoist Stand with Saddle and Safety Pins 1100 lbs

61sdbrXoRhL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I don't use those black frame lift saddles. I lift from the red flat top with some duct take placed on top, so it's not so slippery. I'll have to remember to use the safety cross bar when I use it again, just in case.

T4vj8Wc.jpg?1

• Thanks 1

You can mount it to a piece of plywood, for a wider support base. Which I will probably do.

That's really unfortunate, feel your pain there 😢

I use one one of these lifters and works great on the bike, very stable, Chinese like everything else these days but seems solid enough for the job. Managed to get it for £63.

s-l400.jpg

Lift & Jack Type: Floor Jacks. Lift Capacity: 1500 Lbs / 680kg. When loaded, the adjustable locking screws and wheels improve stability and safety. Minimum Height: 4.53” / 115mm. Color: Black/Red. Leather Trouser.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah it’s one of the cheap jacks but had good reviews and I figured if it was rated for 1000 pounds it would hold my bike fine since I tend to de rate those kinds of claims. I can’t imagine raising 1000 pounds on that thing. 

the threaded rod snapped right at the nut, there was a roll pin all the way through the threaded rod and guess what that’s where it snapped. 

I should have gotten a hydraulic one, I figured this would be fine to just do the chain and maintenance on the bike. 

that sucks about the panel. If there is one thing I am bad at, it’s putting stickers on properly. The emblem at least has a set of alignment pins. 

I have to put my cartridge kit in my forks and am thinking I will tie the bikes triple clamps and pull it with my electric hoist in the ceiling. Or just run the the harbor freight and grab their motorcycle jack. Their stuff has been decent, everything is made in China anymore. 

I’ll be thankful if anyone has alignment tips on the decals 😀. Do you make some kind of template or something?

Mike

Hindsight is 20/20, so all of our suggestions and comments don't help your situation, so I feel for ya! I was working on mine to change the links on the shock and was worried about this same situation! So I called a buddy to come over and stabilize the bike while I was on the floor working on it cause I was worried about just this!

Like RedhorseCA suggest, I put a piece of 3/4 inch ply 1 foot x 1.5 foot under the bike and on the jack for a bigger contact area and had my buddy hold the bike so I could lay on the foor and wrench in safety and comfort! Good luck, that could have been anyone of us, sorry it happened to ya and I know how you feel! You'll get her back to good as new.

1 hour ago, MikeCMP said:

I have to put my cartridge kit in my forks and am thinking I will tie the bikes triple clamps and pull it with my electric hoist in the ceiling. 

I’ll be thankful if anyone has alignment tips on the decals 😀. Do you make some kind of template or something?

The electric hoist with a strap through the frame is the best way over a floor jack. IRT the stickers, I use painters tape to lay it out and then once happy and all the measurements line up etc., just lay it out with the tape as your guide. Pretty easy. Get a spray bottle and a good plastic squeegee. Plenty of good video's on Youtube "how to" apply graphics.

@MikeCMP Sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you're ok.

I bought one of the same scissor lifts and noticed the first time I used it that it seemed very stiff.

When I got it on the bench and examined it, it was clear that the problem was caused by the ends of the scissor arms trying to gouge a groove in the top and bottom plates due to not being finished properly.

The ends of the arms should be radiused so that they allow the plastic wheels to run freely. The arms were just crudely guillotined and not properly radiused so there was no clearance when the jack was raised.

I dismantled my jack and ground a radius on the end of each arm so that there was clearance when the jack was raised. I'm sure that in my case, if I had continued to apply force to lift the bike, I would have had a similar accident.

I find that with a lot of Chinese stuff, the idea is ok but things are not properly finished, which in this case has serious safety implications.

If your jack has similar marks on the inner surfaces to those in the attached photos, I suggest that you may have suffered from the same issue.

IMG_20201120_145506.jpg

IMG_20201120_145513.jpg

IMG_20201120_145550.jpg

11 hours ago, REDHORSECA said:

I got this lift from AMZ. 1,100 lbs rating according to the product description.

I have a ATV hydraulic lift and a Motorcycle hydraulic lift table, couple paddock stands, and dirt bike stands/lifts.

For the T7 I got the following lift from AMZ, as it's small enough to fit under the skid plate. Seems very well built. Operates really smoothly.

VIVOHOME Steel Motorcycle ATV Scissor Lift Jack Crank Hoist Stand with Saddle and Safety Pins 1100 lbs

61sdbrXoRhL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I don't use those black frame lift saddles. I lift from the red flat top with some duct take placed on top, so it's not so slippery. I'll have to remember to use the safety cross bar when I use it again, just in case.

T4vj8Wc.jpg?1

Man that's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for the link

Sorry to hear about the wreck.

A little thing I realized a few years ago after 25+ years of product and process development...You can pay now, or you can pay later - either way you are going to pay! Similarly this applies to buying a bike (cheap bike, but need to buy better suspension, tires, etc), buying tools for a bike (cheap jack, then buy fix-it parts and a better jack), or building a $20M production plant (a million+ decisions there...).

Definitely not trying to 'rub it in' at all. Just pointing out the obvious choices, that many of us make (including me, still) that make us scratch our heads in hindsight. Good luck moving forward!

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Do you have any statutory warranty comeback against the supplier? In Aus we have consumer protection laws that cover that type of claim. Don't know about US.

If the jack was used correctly then clearly it isn't fit for purpose. Your repair bill will be hefty.

Something to look into.

Edited by Rider 101

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I’m pretty sure we don’t have those kind of consumer protection laws in the US. It’s unfortunate. 

I would have bought a better jack but I just figured for a temp solution this would work. Also it seems most are made in China so sometimes the same thing is just more expensive with a different name on it   

it’s why I appreciate and support some of the smaller shops like the vendors in our forum, my camel adv stuff has been top notch and is made in North America. 

at least the panel is not expensive, and it’s a lesson learned for me.

Mike

Good lord! 😱

Glad I have a Handy bike lift. At least it won’t fall off it regardless of what I’m lifting the bike with. 

#@$% Chinese shite. I avoid whenever possible. We have some great manufacturers in Oz ( as I am sure you do in the US ) and I support as much as possible. Twice as much up front but last 4 times longer is better economics!

• Like 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.