Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Is anyone buying one of the Yamaha Accessory Packs?

JamesE

I'm curious to see if anyone has ordered either the Explorer or the Rally Pack with their Tenere 700?

I've written an article about it, and I'm curious to see what people think of them. Some of the accessories look great, but the packs just don't seem the right combination.

2019-Yamaha-XTZ700-EU-Tech_Black-Accesso

We break down the new Accessory Packs offered by Yamaha for the Ténéré 700 and decide if they're worth your time and money.

9to5adv.com

Oh sorry, did not read your article 9to5,

My dealer just preordered the packs in advance, because by Yamaha the packs are handled privileged. That means, there are two customers for the new Tenere 700, one needs the Akra, the other wants the rally seat, so he orders the rally pack, that both customers get their parts in time, when picking up their new bike.

On the other hand it could be possible, that the separately ordered parts would not be in the shop in time.

It's correct, that a pack in total may have an attractive price compared to all the bits ordered one by one. But I do not need everything from such a pack. I do not even know if I need LED indicators, the tail tidy or the aluminium chain protector. These are things which may be offered by the aftermarket in a much more attractive look or price.

So up to now, for me it's the rally seat and the Akra only.

Maybe later it could be the center stand and those foot pegs?

• Like 1

Hi JamesE, I agree with most of what you said.

Right from the start I thought the packages were a bit odd. If I were getting a new bike i'd probably only get the pannier set (with racks), the muffler (I disagree with you, surely a smaller muffler is less prone to damage?), heated grips and maybe the center stand and chain guide.

I think the larger bash plate is overkill and the standard one looks good for all but the most extreme bush riding. As for the "engine guard", I'm a bit bemused by these. Something invented by BMW to protect their behemoth GS with acres of plastic. A frame under the plastic, then another outside it? I just can't get my head around that idea but hey, with a GS as heavy as a leopard tank what's another few KG's? I think for the Tenere 700 the front fairing is narrow enough to avoid damage from most spills in the scrub, i'd risk it and maybe get good bark buster style handlebar mounted protectors instead to protect both hands, when riding in tight scrub and the bike plastics when put down in the bush. I wouldn't change the seat unless the standard one proved to be a real pain on longer rides, and for the number plate holder, i'd modify the standard one to get it as minimal as possible while still being strong, perhaps remounting it myself.

A note, i'm Australian so "bush" means forest trails, desert tracks and anything in between that's not a formed road. I wasn't intending on riding the bike up between Serena Williams' thighs.......

but then again........

:)

Shane

• Like 1

If anything, center stand has to go... Bash plate looks good in terms of coverage... The "upper crash bars" look well sorted out...

As for the "kits"- I would rather pick/choose my choice of brands/sizes/location of bags- I personally think Akra is not a good exhaust...

And on a final note- I would wait a year or two after the launch date in US market to buy a T7... teething pains and all that goes with a new bike...and majority of the time extra goodies get included with updates...

At least it's not like a Ducati Scrambler where Ducati just wants to push t-shirts and key fobs for the Scrambler... 

Edited by norcal616
  • Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

On 7/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, hombacher said:

Oh sorry, did not read your article 9to5,

My dealer just preordered the packs in advance, because by Yamaha the packs are handled privileged. That means, there are two customers for the new Tenere 700, one needs the Akra, the other wants the rally seat, so he orders the rally pack, that both customers get their parts in time, when picking up their new bike.

On the other hand it could be possible, that the separately ordered parts would not be in the shop in time.

It's correct, that a pack in total may have an attractive price compared to all the bits ordered one by one. But I do not need everything from such a pack. I do not even know if I need LED indicators, the tail tidy or the aluminium chain protector. These are things which may be offered by the aftermarket in a much more attractive look or price.

So up to now, for me it's the rally seat and the Akra only.

Maybe later it could be the center stand and those foot pegs?

Yeah, my dealership told me the same thing which is annoying because I'm wanting to go trail riding straight away on the bike, but I'm concerned about going out without at least the radiator guard. It's good to hear that they're going to split down the packs to help the customers.

I like the look of the rally seat as I'm pretty tall, but I want to see how the bike is with the standard seat and pegs. 

9to5adv.com

On 7/14/2019 at 1:04 AM, shaneygrog said:

Hi JamesE, I agree with most of what you said.

Right from the start I thought the packages were a bit odd. If I were getting a new bike i'd probably only get the pannier set (with racks), the muffler (I disagree with you, surely a smaller muffler is less prone to damage?), heated grips and maybe the center stand and chain guide.

I think the larger bash plate is overkill and the standard one looks good for all but the most extreme bush riding. As for the "engine guard", I'm a bit bemused by these. Something invented by BMW to protect their behemoth GS with acres of plastic. A frame under the plastic, then another outside it? I just can't get my head around that idea but hey, with a GS as heavy as a leopard tank what's another few KG's? I think for the Tenere 700 the front fairing is narrow enough to avoid damage from most spills in the scrub, i'd risk it and maybe get good bark buster style handlebar mounted protectors instead to protect both hands, when riding in tight scrub and the bike plastics when put down in the bush. I wouldn't change the seat unless the standard one proved to be a real pain on longer rides, and for the number plate holder, i'd modify the standard one to get it as minimal as possible while still being strong, perhaps remounting it myself.

A note, i'm Australian so "bush" means forest trails, desert tracks and anything in between that's not a formed road. I wasn't intending on riding the bike up between Serena Williams' thighs.......

but then again........

🙂

Shane

The muffler is smaller so less likely to get damaged, but I just feel that it sticks out a bit too much. It would probably be fine with the pannier racks though as it would cover it up.

Barkbusters are one of the single best bits of bike protection in my experience. My current bike is a Tiger 800 which I trail ride regularly and the Barkbusters have really saved the bike many times. I do find that engine bars are useful though as they are a point of contact when the bike goes down, and coupled with some barkbusters, should keep all the sensitive bits propped up off then ground. Maybe I just drop my bike too much!

9to5adv.com

On 7/15/2019 at 7:54 AM, norcal616 said:

If anything, center stand has to go... Bash plate looks good in terms of coverage... The "upper crash bars" look well sorted out...

As for the "kits"- I would rather pick/choose my choice of brands/sizes/location of bags- I personally think Akra is not a good exhaust...

And on a final note- I would wait a year or two after the launch date in US market to buy a T7... teething pains and all that goes with a new bike...and majority of the time extra goodies get included with updates...

At least it's not like a Ducati Scrambler where Ducati just wants to push t-shirts and key fobs for the Scrambler... 

There will probably be a few teething pains, but that CP2 is such a well-refined engine now, and with such a long development(!) I'm confident in the bike.

I am keen to wait to see what third parties bring out in terms of parts and accessories though, and considering the popularity of the bike, I'm hoping that there will be a lot to pick and choose from.

Coming from Triumph bikes, I have to admit, I'm a sucker for branded apparel and it sucks that they only do one Tenere 700 T-Shirt currently!

9to5adv.com

• 1 month later...

I have just ordered mine, expecting any day now.
I thought the packs are very expensive (at least here they are) and don't make sense to me.
I believe a center stand is important, a better cushioned passenger seat and a carrying rack.
On the other hand, I expect aftermarket manufacturers to come with cheaper solutions soon. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this breakdown. Interested mucho in the explorer package. Confirming my choice to get this option. But I can see needing to add on a radiator protector.  

There is already a radiator protector, which works very good. In my opinion no need to change to those wired ones.

1035651520_190924TeneKuehlerschutz_kl.jpg.300fbdddb32e7a6398a12d4d0065e016.jpg

• Like 2