Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hydraulic clutch?

dirt5track

Has anyone explored the idea of converting to a hydraulic clutch yet? The pull on mine is a bit tough, not sure if it will smooth out over time(only 50 miles on her). I have an older set up off of my dirt bike I am thinking about rebuilding and installing. What are your thoughts? 

No help from me..........but, I detest a hydraulic clutch and glad that my T7 and my Tracer 900 GT both have cable clutches with more feel than my Super Tenere's hydraulic clutch.  I am running quite a bit of slop on my T7 clutch cable to have it engage/disengage where I want it.

• Thanks 1

The clutch pull definitely goes away after some 3000 miles. I kind of wish I still had that feeling in mine sometimes cuz its cold as hell in the mountains and I can hardly tell when it switches now

Magura offers several hydraulic clutch kits. Do not know if there is one ready to use kit for Tenere, in means, pre-filled, just pull in with pulling out the cable and enjoy. If not as a ready to use kit, a hydraulic clutch can easily configured.

It is reported that a Magura hydraulic clutch works fine with easy to actuate CP2 engine of MT-07. And with Tenere, slow off road trialing, it works even better.

So here, for my wife, the hydraulic clutch is on order for her XSR700.

Magura has the model 2123339 which is designed specifically for the T7, including the switch that informs to the ECU about the clutch position, what is necessary to start the engine with a gear engaged.

That absence of the switch is the problem with the Righteous Stunt Clutch,from my point of view.

By the moment I still using the OEM lever.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

6 hours ago, Hogan said:

The issue with the clutch switch on the T7 (And the MT07) is that when the bike is in neutral or the clutch is pulled in, the ECU switches to a lean mode for emission reasons. When this mode is active the engine obviously won't run properly.

That's why you can't simply remove the switch and jumper the two connections as you would do on most every other bike.

However I had a quick look at the wiring diagram and I see no reason why you cannot leave the clutch switch alone, and instead jumper the two sides of the starter cut off relay, effectively bypassing the relay, and allowing the starter to engage at any time.

You are most likely right. I don't know much about electronics.

But before doing the experiment it would be good to know how someone who has put the Righteous Stunt Clutch lever in a T7 has solved it.

Hasn't anyone done it? 🤷‍♂️

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

I've run Magura clutch lever systems on WR450F, YZ250FX and YZ450FXs.

Hydraulic clutches do decrease pull both because of the ratio (less cable stretch and progressive lever ratio) and decreased cable friction.  Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting and have a more positive engagement feel.  However, in cold temps they pull harder than in warm temp because the hydraulic fluid gets thicker.

I love my Magura clutches.  I'll probably use on on the T700, if/when I get one.

• Like 1