Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

suspension replacement

Beano05

I was just curious to see if anyone has replaced the stock forks and  rear shock?

or what mods have you done to stock?

I’ve been contemplating replacing mine with the rally raid kit, adding 30mm more travel is also appealing. For now I just added a heavier rear spring. Hoping that gets me by for a little bit. 

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, Beano05 said:

I was just curious to see if anyone has replaced the stock forks and  rear shock?

or what mods have you done to stock?

Yup, full replacement for me. TFX shock and YZ450F KYB SSS forks. Overkill for most but it totally transformed the bike.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, MikeCMP said:

I have the rally raid open cart kit. Love it so far!

Mike

Did you have to use the cartridge removal tool they sell?  Currently out of stock so I'm trying to figure out if it's needed or not.

J

I have had the both fork and shock springs changed and revalve to suit my weight and intended riding, done by MotoSR here in NZ. Best mod you can do the T7, makes a huge difference. Even for me as a lighter rider, compared to the average T7 pilot. My bike is now fully personalised to suit me.

This video from Australia is a part of a series all of which are well worth watching. 

Thanks Julia.

2 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

Did you have to use the cartridge removal tool they sell?  Currently out of stock so I'm trying to figure out if it's needed or not.

J

The cartridge tool is not needed if you have a battery impact gun, or air impact, to undo the compression adjuster inside the bottom of the lower fork leg, we will have more stock next week

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktmmitch said:

The cartridge tool is not needed if you have a battery impact gun, or air impact, to undo the compression adjuster inside the bottom of the lower fork leg, we will have more stock next week

Thanks. I think I changed my order to exclude the tool. Iv’e got impact guns so I’ll give that a try first. 

I saw Clive on the MAD Tv link using the gun but I saw another video they did or someone else did covering a more thorough Video install of your cartridge kits and they used the tool. 

J

I ended up ipusing the tool ven though I have an impact gun, I got the motion pro version of it. I think he impact would hav worked just fine, I was worried about he fine threads thing messed up with the impact gun. 

as stated, seems like you do need it though, in the one MAD video. The gent named Clive takes the fork apart with an impact and seems just fine.

I am up just paranoid. I messed up a bolt on my S10 with the impact, so I am more paranoid than I should be.

Mike