Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ADV mirrors and mounts - Help

ADVUSA

I keep hitting my stock mirrors and want to install more ADV specific mirrors.

What type of mirrors are in this picture?

Also, what specific mount is required to install them? Thanks

adv mirrors.png

Those are Double Take mirrors. Then you use RAM arms to adjust them. You just need mounts that screw into your stock mirror brackets. All this can be had on most any online motorcycle store 

Here you go.

mirror_adventure_medium.png?v=1604980444

You know them, you love them! Double Take Adventure mirrors have become a staple in the ADV community. They look great, are easy to adjust and are nearly indestructible!We've been running these mirrors on our bikes for years without a single failure... and we're hard on our bikes! Indestructible- Made from reinforced Zytel...

On 12/6/2020 at 5:38 PM, Zbob said:

Here you go.

You know them, you love them! Double Take Adventure mirrors have become a staple in the ADV community. They look great, are easy to adjust and are nearly indestructible!We've been running these mirrors on our bikes for years without a single failure... and we're hard on our bikes! Indestructible- Made from reinforced Zytel...

Im interested in getting a better view and my case I need mirrors that extend outward more so my view is not obstructed by my shoulders/elbows. Can the double Take's be setup more outward than OEM ones ??

4 minutes ago, Gary Dirt said:

Im interested in getting a better view and my case I need mirrors that extend outward more so my view is not obstructed by my shoulders/elbows. Can the double Take's be setup more outward than OEM ones ??

I’m pretty sure you can get the ram arms up to 6” long. That should be more than enough to clear your shoulders.

• 4 months later...

Just ordered the double take mirrors from @Camel ADV with the left thread adapter needed for the throttle side.  

You know them, you love them! Double Take Adventure mirrors have become a staple in the ADV community. They look great, are easy to adjust and are nearly indestructible!We've been running these mirrors on our bikes for years...

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I made this video to help those who are unsure which mirror from Doubletake to get. I have lots of experience with all their models.

- Johannes

I had the Double take and changed them for the Rotweiler.

I like the Rotweiler more but in offroad setting the view is limited and i'm running offroad setting all the time.

Not a perfect view but good enough and less sticking out of the handlebar.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
Spoiler

So, I've given into the Double Take trend, noticing a number of Chinese imitations that appear to be mostly worthless (mostly because of cheap mounts) and decided to source mounts separately from the mirrors.  Although the Double Take Adventure mirrors were technically cheaper than the PSR equivalent, I opted for the PSR Denali's out of aluminum over the Double Take out of ABS plastic after watching a video of a guy readily snapping his off on a ride (when they should have been stowed).  Has anybody else tried the PSR Denali's <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BGMGJ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details> ?

?  I should have a firsthand review soon as it would have already been here if not for the snow lately.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:22 PM, e010584 said:
  Hide contents

So, I've given into the Double Take trend, noticing a number of Chinese imitations that appear to be mostly worthless (mostly because of cheap mounts) and decided to source mounts separately from the mirrors.  Although the Double Take Adventure mirrors were technically cheaper than the PSR equivalent, I opted for the PSR Denali's out of aluminum over the Double Take out of ABS plastic after watching a video of a guy readily snapping his off on a ride (when they should have been stowed).  Has anybody else tried the PSR Denali's <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BGMGJ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details> ?

?  I should have a firsthand review soon as it would have already been here if not for the snow lately.

I believe Double Take Mirror Bodies have a life time warranty.

"We will warranty the mirror body for the life of the product, but for obvious reasons cannot extend the same protection to the glass insert. We do sell the glass separately if you manage to break it. We also have a satisfaction guarantee—if you receive your mirror and aren't happy with it for any reason, you can return it for a refund."

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

2 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

I believe Double Take Mirror Bodies have a life time warranty.

"We will warranty the mirror body for the life of the product, but for obvious reasons cannot extend the same protection to the glass insert. We do sell the glass separately if you manage to break it. We also have a satisfaction guarantee—if you receive your mirror and aren't happy with it for any reason, you can return it for a refund."

Thanks!  That's certainly relevant.  I got my PSR Denali (only ordered one initially) yesterday and it appears to be of good quality, but the ball is not rubberized and required the application of heat shrink tubing (or a latex glove finger somebody else recommended) to have adequate friction to avoid movement.  The mirror element appears to show scratches easily, perhaps it's plastic or has some coating.

• 3 weeks later...

More mirror experimenting for DoubleTake alternatives.  After ordering mounts separately from mirrors, I first tried a PSR Denali RAM mount mirror (left mirror) since it was aluminum rather than plastic, then I ordered some Chinese knock-offs from Amazon (right mirror) that are plastic and a little over $40 complete with numerous mount adapters but plastic arms, knowing I could readily return them.  You can see from the photos the Denali is considerably smaller and better looking in my opinion as well as being much sturdier.  The part that I didn't realize was the 150mm RAM arms are longer than necessary by the time you add the RAM balls and adapters, such that the 90mm RAM arms (as pictured) seem more appropriate and provide a reasonable field of view.   The other benefit of the shorter arms is they can be folded inward without touching one another or obstructing the instrument display.  I've got one more iteration to try before finalizing my selection, which is to re-use the stock mirrors by unscrewing the straight stem portion attached to the mirror and add RAM balls to the ends before attaching them to the ball mounts with the short RAM arms.  In the end, my total investment will still be well under the cost of DoubleTake mirrors and I'll have enough leftover bits to outfit one or two of my other bikes 😉 .

1904580160_20230213_1607071.jpg.ab91286f58755150469140dd54c9e264.jpg2029805032_20230213_1606461.jpg.7b943c64eab98e75d984f3d031d3ac57.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still experimenting with mirrors.  Settled for the PSR Denali's and went back to the long RAM arms, but think I found a better solution that's amongst the cheapest also.  I decided to convert the stock mirrors to RAM mounts by threading some RAM balls on the end of the mirror stems and used them with short arms.  Even though I spent the money on my preferred version of the Double Take setup, I'm liking this solution better.

20230301_192311[1].jpg

20230301_200532[1].jpg

20230301_200544[1].jpg

20230301_200600[1].jpg

• 8 months later...

I'm rocking the Rottweiler mirrors and have to say they are outstanding.

Then only, obvious, drawback is when standing in offroad sections you are not able to look into the mirrors to see if you mate is still able to follow 😉

image.png.1ebf6197f54e8af33d0271da824d43d5.png

I'm in the market for changing the standard mirror bolds to ram mounts for mounting camera gear of other. Somebody has the part numbers for left and right?