Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MT07 exhaust on T7

Insane rider

I’m wondering if we can install a MT07 low exhaust to eliminate the exhaust problem that some people mentioned.

I don’t have my T7 yet so I’m not sure I will replace the exhaust but seeing the camel adv high mount, huzar, etc. I’m wondering if some tried the MT07 route

Any thoughts on this?

Pic for reference 

17E4F110-C912-41B3-ABCE-FAEF5081F540.thumb.jpeg.b74985cd13eb14e7a56d06b3b205ad3d.jpeg

Some T7 slip on exhaust cans have a separate link pipe that extends from the catalytic converter to the can itself. I guess you could just simply omit the use of this link pipe and connect the can directly to the converter. You may have to come up with a bushing to adapt the different diameter of the pipes.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Some T7 slip on exhaust cans have a separate link pipe that extends from the catalytic converter to the can itself. I guess you could just simply omit the use of this link pipe and connect the can directly to the converter. You may have to come up with a bushing to adapt the different diameter of the pipes.

I was thinking a full system might fit direcly. Maybe adapt 2-3 brackets

it looks like you would sacrifice ground clearance, acceptable if you were a only tarmac rider.

• Like 1

I cannot stand how the exhaust is routed on this bike. I'm curious if anyone has fit GP style exhaust or if anyone has replaced the catalytic portion of the header with a muffler. 

Watch this vid for a preview of what it sounds like.

From 6:21 on it has the shorty on it.  Still not sure what shorty that was.  The Huzar 50cm with no dB killers sounds like that but deeper note.

J

3 hours ago, Marc said:

$80? Is it made of metal? Lol

It's actually full stainless steel.

Here's a post from another member 

On 7/30/2020 at 1:56 PM, DizzyNick said:

T7 riders I give you the dizzynick superclearance exhaust mod. No more muffler bending. No more swingarm gauging. Total weight loss of 13lbs. Engine tune and internal spark arrestor highly recommended. Sounds like twin Angels singing death metal. 100% recommend it for the gnarlier of riders who tackle the gnarlier terrain.

IMG_20200726_213652_324.jpg

IMG_20200726_213652_325.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey that's my bike! I looked at adapting an fz07 exhaust to fit the t7 but ultimately decided against it for a couple reasons. 

First the t7 is very likely to have different mounting points for the hangers than the fz07. These are not a deal breaker as adding/relocating hangers is not that difficult.

Secondly, the fz does not have lower frame rails that wrap below the engine, nor does it have a skid plate. A T7 exhaust would have to fit in the small channel between the oil pan and the skid plate and frame, something that wasn't taken into consideration when designing exhaust systems for the fz.

Finally most fz exhausts are side exit and stick out behind the riders right heel. This brings up 2 concerns. One is that I personally didn't want an exhaust that stuck out any more than absolutely necessary. Second is the foot peg and suspension linkage on the t7 are very different than the fz, so fitment here is also not guaranteed.

In the end cutting the stock headers just after the o2 sensor and welding on a 51mm muffler adapter made the most sense. This solution saved a ton of weight, keeps the exhaust safe and far away from my saddle bags when camping, and if it fills with water during a stall in a creek crossing then it will drain out easily. Try draining the stock exhaust if you tip your bike in a water crossing. Good luck!

I also added a dB killer with a spark arrestor welded to it to bring the noise down a bit. Cheap eBay mufflers have little to zero sound deadening material in them. As far as volume, my t7 is now on par with my last bike, an fz09 with a Graves full system with no db killer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DizzyNick said:

Hey that's my bike! I looked at adapting an fz07 exhaust to fit the t7 but ultimately decided against it for a couple reasons. 

First the t7 is very likely to have different mounting points for the hangers than the fz07. These are not a deal breaker as adding/relocating hangers is not that difficult.

Secondly, the fz does not have lower frame rails that wrap below the engine, nor does it have a skid plate. A T7 exhaust would have to fit in the small channel between the oil pan and the skid plate and frame, something that wasn't taken into consideration when designing exhaust systems for the fz.

Finally most fz exhausts are side exit and stick out behind the riders right heel. This brings up 2 concerns. One is that I personally didn't want an exhaust that stuck out any more than absolutely necessary. Second is the foot peg and suspension linkage on the t7 are very different than the fz, so fitment here is also not guaranteed.

In the end cutting the stock headers just after the o2 sensor and welding on a 51mm muffler adapter made the most sense. This solution saved a ton of weight, keeps the exhaust safe and far away from my saddle bags when camping, and if it fills with water during a stall in a creek crossing then it will drain out easily. Try draining the stock exhaust if you tip your bike in a water crossing. Good luck!

I also added a dB killer with a spark arrestor welded to it to bring the noise down a bit. Cheap eBay mufflers have little to zero sound deadening material in them. As far as volume, my t7 is now on par with my last bike, an fz09 with a Graves full system with no db killer.

Show me your current setup!

13 hours ago, DizzyNick said:

It's the one in the pics a couple posts up

Ho I see sorry.

Didn’t realized it was yours for some reason 

On 12/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, DizzyNick said:

It's the one in the pics a couple posts up

any sound clips? I'm interested in doing something similar

On 12/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, DizzyNick said:

Do you have links or part numbers for the items you used? 

im torn between your setup, and CamelADV’s setup. 

Historically, I dump my bikes a lot off road... I don’t want my swing arm getting damaged 

11 hours ago, DizzyNick said:

Hi DizzyNick,

I was thinking on this idea for sometime and then you came with a great implementation.

It looks like it fitted perfect and sounds great! 

Could you please provide as many details as you can. 

I guess I'm not the only one who is very interested.

Thanks a lot.

Innok 

8 hours ago, MileHighTenere said:

Do you have links or part numbers for the items you used? 

im torn between your setup, and CamelADV’s setup. 

Historically, I dump my bikes a lot off road... I don’t want my swing arm getting damaged 

All I bought was a 2"/51mm eBay muffler and a Drag Specialties exhaust insert to fit the inner diameter of the muffler. It came with an adapter that was welded in place of the cat, that the muffler slips on to.

Then I tack welded a spark arrestor that I already had to the exhaust insert to keep the forests happy. There is a tube near the back of the oil pan that I used to support the muffler with hose clamps. The parts are really nothing special and you can pick whatever muffler style you want, as long as it will fit between your engine and skid plate. 

The Camel kit is wicked! Unfortunately I had already hacked my exhaust off and completed this setup long before Camel released their high mount exhaust. Given the option it would have been a hard decision to choose. Both designs have their pros and cons. My design is cheaper, lighter, and keeps the exhaust away from my side bags; but requires cutting, welding and fabrication, and a bit of head scratching. The Camel kit is nice because it is easily installed with basic hand tools, maintains the rally look, and I don't think it requires an engine tune because it is so close to the original design. 

I don't think you will have issues bending the Camel unit. It looks like he has really put it though the paces. I haven't seen one in person yet but I do have some other parts that Cory has made, and I can vouch that they are top notch products.

Side note I am not selling these kits, nor do I plan to. I only shared my setup to inspire other t7 owners to create their own ideas, and try to help prevent other riders from damaging their swingarm as I unfortunately did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Someone should run with the idea, it ticks all the boxes, just need to get the noise down, I'm sure they would sell HEAPS  of units!!!

In fact I think it could outsell the current batch of aftermarket exhaust systems.

10 hours ago, DizzyNick said:

All I bought was a 2"/51mm eBay muffler and a Drag Specialties exhaust insert to fit the inner diameter of the muffler. It came with an adapter that was welded in place of the cat, that the muffler slips on to.

Then I tack welded a spark arrestor that I already had to the exhaust insert to keep the forests happy. There is a tube near the back of the oil pan that I used to support the muffler with hose clamps. The parts are really nothing special and you can pick whatever muffler style you want, as long as it will fit between your engine and skid plate. 

The Camel kit is wicked! Unfortunately I had already hacked my exhaust off and completed this setup long before Camel released their high mount exhaust. Given the option it would have been a hard decision to choose. Both designs have their pros and cons. My design is cheaper, lighter, and keeps the exhaust away from my side bags; but requires cutting, welding and fabrication, and a bit of head scratching. The Camel kit is nice because it is easily installed with basic hand tools, maintains the rally look, and I don't think it requires an engine tune because it is so close to the original design. 

I don't think you will have issues bending the Camel unit. It looks like he has really put it though the paces. I haven't seen one in person yet but I do have some other parts that Cory has made, and I can vouch that they are top notch products.

Side note I am not selling these kits, nor do I plan to. I only shared my setup to inspire other t7 owners to create their own ideas, and try to help prevent other riders from damaging their swingarm as I unfortunately did.

Thanks very much Sir. That's impressive work and I like your setup much better than anything else on a market right now. Thanks again. 

@DizzyNick ... Aren't you concerned with the lack of catalytic converter and legal implications ? ... I can tell you that out east we have to keep all the original components if we ride on road. There are cities where some overzealous police officers will give tickets solely on the looks .. so if it "looks" like it was tampered with they will issue a ticket. ... sad times for us sound lovers. 😢

1 hour ago, MGG said:

@DizzyNick ... Aren't you concerned with the lack of catalytic converter and legal implications ? ... I can tell you that out east we have to keep all the original components if we ride on road. There are cities where some overzealous police officers will give tickets solely on the looks .. so if it "looks" like it was tampered with they will issue a ticket. ... sad times for us sound lovers. 😢

Yes depending on where you live and how much of your riding is on/off road that is something that you may have to consider when selecting an exhaust

• Like 2