Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Going to look at a 1976 Honda XL250 with 600 original miles

Cruizin

I guess it's been sitting outdoors under a lean to for 30 years. The old lady's husband owned it and died 15 years ago. Her grandson had it running two years ago.  She just wants it gone for free, has title.  

Im told that the seat is rotting as well as alot of the rubber, from sitting outside. 

If this pans out, I will be fixing it up to give to my Grandson who is 15.  A low powered enduru that can be ridden on the street is a good bike to learn on.  Ill post pics below if i buy it. 

If it has been sitting for 30 years, under a lean to outside, do you guys think the engine will need to be rebuilt due to rust?  I live in Idaho, no sea corrosion here.  

• Moderators

I had a 72' in high school. Bulletproof bike, even crashed it ( hit a dog at 55mph) and the bike came through it much better than I.  I'd just clean it up, fluids and plug change and try to fire it up.  It'll probably run if it turns over, although it might be a bit lethargic if the rings are really worn. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Went and got the bike. IT truly was under a lean to, I wheeled it out and stood it against the fence for the pics.  643 miles on the odometer. The right side of the tank is dented and the right brake lever is hanging from the cable. The old guy bought it new, rode it for 600 miles or so, wrecked it, denting the tank and brake lever and then it sat for 30 years. 

The kick starter has full compression.  Im gonna start tearing into the bike this week. Got some work to do but overt all, with 643 miles on this bike I think I just scored the deal of a century.  I want to have it polished up and restored by spring time. 

130744174_221811576090586_1174898168965238471_n.jpg

130807448_410869206728956_8187382989242623276_n.jpg

I gotta drop my T7 Seat of to Seat Concepts this week, maybe I'll drop this one off too. 

• Like 3

Looks incredible. Take it back to complete standard as great bike to ride and worth a load when done!

• Like 1

I would restore it and not give to anyone. Especially not to any 15-year. They brake everything they touch.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Nice score ! Does this rock the 23" front wheel? Good luck scoring fresh rubber for that. I had an '81 xl 250 that did. Rolled over everything in its path on the trail but turned in on the street  like an oil tanker. 

Edited by Hammerhead

super cool.   those were EVERYWHERE when I was in college.  An inexpensive street legal bike that required minimal maintenance?   awesome....   

hope ya have tons fun bringing it back to life.

That's definitely a "keeper".  That bike has "soul".  Bikes like that have the ability to alter a 15 year old's path in life by making memories that will last forever. 

Great find, congrats. 

You might find a new carb cheap for that bike. I have found new in the box Honda carbs for little more than a rebuild kit.

Keep us posted. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Totti said:

I would restore it and not give to anyone. Especially not to any 15-year. They brake everything they touch.

He has been riding with me since he was five. He works harder than most adults and takes good care of the tools that I have given him over the years. Kids will take care of things if they are taught correctly. Up to now, I have owned any bike that he has ridden and he learned how to maintain them over the years. This one Im putting in his name.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Great find, congrats. 

You might find a new carb cheap for that bike. I have found new in the box Honda carbs for little more than a rebuild kit.

Keep us posted. 

Carb is in good shape. Rebuilt it today and the bike runs. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cruizin said:

He has been riding with me since he was five. He works harder than most adults and takes good care of the tools that I have given him over the years. Kids will take care of things if they are taught correctly. Up to now, I have owned any bike that he has ridden and he learned how to maintain them over the years. This one Im putting in his name.

Respect!

That is how the next generation is prepared to carry the torch. 

All three of my daughters can ride, but I was lucky to have the oldest pick up and run with it.  The joy of watching her race is immeasurable because it combines two of my most favorite things in life. 

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

• Like 6

that there CMRA is a pretty good club.   Used to run when it was CRRC at Oak Hill, etc...

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 11:27 AM, cstatman said:

that there CMRA is a pretty good club.   Used to run when it was CRRC at Oak Hill, etc...

Indeed!  A LOT of talent that has risen through the ranks on the world level from CMRA. 👍

On 12/19/2020 at 11:10 AM, owtcast said:

Indeed!  A LOT of talent that has risen through the ranks on the world level from CMRA. 👍

yep. a LOT of talent....    And me!  😄

• Haha 1