Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lowering link problem

luke2152

So I just pulled my shock out to put a rally raid spring in and realised the shock has been running on the swingarm. I guess it's because of my lowering links but they are OEM so Yamaha shouldn't have been able to allow that. Luckily I caught it in time but be aware! I'm putting the standard height links back on now

IMG_20201213_103819_107.jpg

IMG_20201213_103857_158.jpg

IMG_20201213_114835_037.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/13/2020 at 6:56 AM, luke2152 said:

So I just pulled my shock out to put a rally raid spring in and realised the shock has been running on the swingarm. I guess it's because of my lowering links but they are OEM so Yamaha shouldn't have been able to allow that. Luckily I caught it in time but be aware! I'm putting the standard height links back on now

IMG_20201213_103819_107.jpg

IMG_20201213_103857_158.jpg

... Anyone else has this issue ? ... 

I have the 20mm lowering links and will check to see if mine has any clearance issues later today ... but we need to identify if this a isolated incident or if it applies to every lowered T7. 

It looks like the reservoir has touched the bike, that is more probably to to with the rotation of the shock, on the swivel top bearing, than to do with lowering link. We've fitted many and not seen this, even with 40mm lower, but it is possible to rotate the shock quite a bit on the bearing when re-fitting.

• Like 2

Mine has about 1/2 inch clearance with a 20mm lower link when compressed. Guessing its been installed one sided?

I have the 50 mm lowering links and 3,000 miles on it.  I checked mine and it's fine.  Sounds like an installation issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MGG said:

... Anyone else has this issue ? ... 

I have the 20mm lowering links and will check to see if mine has any clearance issues later today ... but we need to identify if this a isolated incident or if it applies to every lowered T7. 

Checked mine and all is good, no clearance issues.

Keep in mind that I did replace the spring to one suitable for my weight and set the sag properly. With that in mind I can also confirm that I have not jumped the bike or bottomed-out the suspension.

I am not sure what installation issue might be because there is no way you can mess this up, unless you install  the assembled spring backwards or is this was a prototype using different swingarm or suspension.

I have bottomed mine out but it should have enough clearance even bottomed out if it's a factory option. The only other things I can think of are that a stone may have been caught in the gap although I don't think so because the marks look like aluminium rubbing aluminium. Or maybe I got counterfeit links. I brought them used but they had the Yamaha install instructions.

21 minutes ago, BLZ2DWL said:

What are we looking at here? I looked at my swingarm and didn't see anything like this. image.png.8b9a8e915b437229f069897df2bd4dad.png

The bit you've circled is nothing. (It's just the rubber flap thing). But directly under your circle you can see the patch of scuffed aluminium on the swingarm

• 3 months later...

Looking back on this I believe it was just the rubber flap getting pulled forward and rubbing the shock reservoir. Caused far more wear than I'd expected but it seems the only plausible solution.

• Like 1