Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gaspe Peninsula

Yammybound88

I'm starting to plan a trip to this area for next year and I understand there are many gravel roads and the coastal roads to explore.  Length of time for the trip:  3 to 4 weeks. Starting point is Hamilton, Ontario.

Let me know what you think about: time of year, roads I have to ride, and where to camp.

cheers

-Bob

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Camping Mont-Albert at Gaspe National Park on Rt 299 is a good spot. It may be popular dependent on your dates. I camped there in early September, 2012, there weren’t many campers. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@dmottv I've got a GPS track with a lot of gravel roads and most of them go into the National Park and then onto the coastal highways.  The more I look around I don't think it will be hard to find a secluded place to throw up my tent for a night even if camping is not available.

Thanks for the feedback, I will post some stuff as I get it organized.  I might be planning for a trip that doesn't happen because of lockdowns but I'm hoping for the best.

Cheers

• Like 1

@Yammybound88 We encountered one of those cool, wet days riding the Gaspe in late August-early September, 2012, so opted for a warm, dry bed in a group cabin at the campground instead of a tent site. We had the cabin to ourselves due to light camping activity at that time of year. The inside of the group cabin included a common food prep counter on the center of the back wall with built in bunk beds in all four corners and a woodstove in the center. There was a fully supplied wood shed attached to the outside wall next to the entry door. A common bathroom shower house was not far within that particular loop. A couple of pics, the first inside showing the fire built in the center woodstove and the built in bunkbeds in the two corners at one end, and the second outside the entrance as we packed up the next morning:

2023090736_5A_ChicChocGroupShelterInsideWoodFire.jpg.b46586626ff13aa126e3faeda5d02adc.jpg

412870644_5A_ChicChocGroupShelter.jpg.6453902a59297039529368829854ca43.jpg

Edit to add: I'm hoping for the best as well. Several of us had planned a NS/NF ride for July, 2021. We have adjusted the plan to a northern New England ride instead due to the border crossing uncertainty. If the border opens, I hope to squeeze in a ride. 

Edited by dmottv
Hope for the best, plan for the worst
  • Like 2

The trans quebec trail (TQT) will be available around june.

this might be good info for you. They are also developing an app to follow the route.

09CE463C-0134-48F1-8592-897146D94E72.thumb.jpeg.f2f83337b70149ef9f43ba54b34920a4.jpeg

• Like 4

So after being in Quebec the third time with my kids on school trips, I definitely want to spend more time there. Looked really seriously at buying a house on Île d'Orléans, outside of Quebec City, just so I could ride the thousands of KM's of road around there, not to mention the rest of the province. Would be very pleased to ride the TQT in the future!

• Like 3

I think I have Yamaha disease...

2 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So after being in Quebec the third time with my kids on school trips, I definitely want to spend more time there. Looked really seriously at buying a house on Île d'Orléans, outside of Quebec City, just so I could ride the thousands of KM's of road around there, not to mention the rest of the province. Would be very pleased to ride the TQT in the future!

There's plenty of good riding to do on a T7 in Quebec!

• Like 2

The only bad part about it, is that my french is nearly non-existent, meaning I would have to bring a kid (all 3 of which are fluent), which would slow me down! I know I could function closer to the main centers, but out on the back roads, I better bring my translator app... I also think that would be part of the fun of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

@dmottv looks like a great place you found and the fireplace with wood provided must have been a welcomed.  I will hit some small motels along the way when I can to shower up and dry stuff out etc.  Cheers

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Insane rider said:

The trans quebec trail (TQT) will be available around june.

this might be good info for you. They are also developing an app to follow the route.

09CE463C-0134-48F1-8592-897146D94E72.thumb.jpeg.f2f83337b70149ef9f43ba54b34920a4.jpeg

That is great news I will check it out.   I was surprised when I saw the tracks for TCAT and the Gaspe area was not included. Thanks again, cheers.

• Like 1

@Canzvt I wouldn't worry about speaking French, with the help of apps and if you are not in a big city people are people and will try to communicate.  My french is so bad in Grade 9 my teacher asked if I was taking french in Grade 10 - when I said no she said ok you pass.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

I'm planning the same trip this summer when the Trans-Quebec Trail is released. Here's a link to a ride report of someone who was validating the Gaspé portion of the trail last summer: https://www.ridaventure.ca/topic/37387-rr-validation-tqt-gaspésie/. It's in French but you can probably use Google Translate.

I've attached the map from the thread - it's still provisional but I imagine it won't change too much from the final route. I hope it helps in your planning.

2021-01-21-08-52-46-Window.jpg

• Like 3

@NickQc this is really good info - thank you so much for sharing maybe we will see each other on the trail.  If the trip is a go for me I would like to go after being vaccinated so who knows when that will be and I won't go if there is a lockdown in that area.  I want to travel alone and slowly enjoying the day to day activities of riding, finding a campsite, cooking, having a cold beer, smoking a joint and sleeping outside but most importantly, I will be out of the f***in  house that I have felt trapped in for far too long.  Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, Yammybound88 said:

I'm starting to plan a trip to this area for next year and I understand there are many gravel roads and the coastal roads to explore.  Length of time for the trip:  3 to 4 weeks. Starting point is Hamilton, Ontario.

Let me know what you think about: time of year, roads I have to ride, and where to camp.

cheers

-Bob

I suggest going to this site: 

You will find Maps of trails in Eastern Quebec.
You can  also download the app on your phone, it is up to date and very accurate, we use it on a regular basis.

• Like 1

@Goup this looks like a really good site.  I have changed plans this year and will be riding only in Ontario.  Thanks again for the link.