Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oxford Heated Grips Control Panel - Where have you put yours?

JamesE

I'm in the garage installing my Oxford heated grips. I really liked the minimal look of the OEM ones but these were just so much cheaper! 

Where have you put your control panels on the bike? I'm hoping to keep them as minimal as possible so any and all advice appreciated. 

• Like 1

9to5adv.com

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

I'm in the garage installing my Oxford heated grips. I really liked the minimal look of the OEM ones but these were just so much cheaper! 

Where have you put your control panels on the bike? I'm hoping to keep them as minimal as possible so any and all advice appreciated. 

I'm planning on 3D printing a lower profile mount here:

featured_preview_IMG_20191001_144417.jpg

Created for Honda Hornet pc41, but it should fit to any 22mm handlebar. It position controller as much to grip as possible. Cavity and additional holes is for water escape. Maybe overkill but... Requires rubber/silicone band. I've printed one from TPU. Screws: M5x20

• Like 2

A little bit of straightening the included mount, then dremel off the longer part. Mounts right to the mirror mount. Close enough to thumb the controls.

PXL_20201127_175137489.MP.jpg

• Like 2

What did you guys use to stop the left one twisting?
mine came loose a week or two after, which results in it twisting on long rides and interfering with the clutch lever.

hairspray?

Another question are any of you having issues starting the bike if you leave them powered on?
after a stall for example, rather than leaving them on over night.

On 12/19/2020 at 3:24 PM, DT675 said:

B013D68C-220B-4930-BA82-A04433FF3A9D.thumb.jpeg.e93ea9e148924b3f423b63e2ea9d1e2a.jpeg

70FD0DB0-37BE-4FDF-A20D-25B59EF7DD84.thumb.jpeg.23b6b8cc1a131d1c45ba84816122a0c7.jpeg

How do you find operating them from that location? I want them to be as tucked away as possible so I like your option, but don't to sacrifice usability.

• Like 1

9to5adv.com

On 12/19/2020 at 4:58 PM, slakdawg said:

A little bit of straightening the included mount, then dremel off the longer part. Mounts right to the mirror mount. Close enough to thumb the controls.

PXL_20201127_175137489.MP.jpg

I like that option, thank you! I'm hoping that it can go somewhere hidden in the cockpit, but this is my alternative now.

• Like 1

9to5adv.com

@JamesE, it works well for me. I operate it with my left thumb, even with quite thick cold weather gloves on.  Using a finger wouldn't work so well but thumb operation feels natural. If I had to adjust the setting many times throughout a ride I'd maybe consider another location. But for me I'm pretty used to picking one temp and leaving it there for quite awhile.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, Fibbs said:

What did you guys use to stop the left one twisting?
mine came loose a week or two after, which results in it twisting on long rides and interfering with the clutch lever.

hairspray?

Another question are any of you having issues starting the bike if you leave them powered on?
after a stall for example, rather than leaving them on over night.

Hi.
I used a "glue gun", that type of glue gets a little thicker and it adheres well.
But you should be two people, one who puts on the glue, and one who quickly presses the handle, because it hardens quickly.
And both when it comes to Oxfort and OEM heaters, it is possible to set them so that they automatically turn off shortly after you turn off the engine.

20 hours ago, Hannu said:

Hi.
I used a "glue gun", that type of glue gets a little thicker and it adheres well.
But you should be two people, one who puts on the glue, and one who quickly presses the handle, because it hardens quickly.
And both when it comes to Oxfort and OEM heaters, it is possible to set them so that they automatically turn off shortly after you turn off the engine.

I did not know this, but found out when i did not have them on a switched fuse. They would turn off automatically which is really nice. 

I have the Oxfords on my eastern beaver and they are on a switched fuse, so they cannot run if the key is off. No way they can drain the battery in case they don't turn themselves off.

Mike

Hi All, an update on my installation. I found a pretty good compromise thanks to @85.adv on Instagram. Plenty out the way, but still in reach.

20201224_155553.jpg

20201229_144702.jpg

• Like 4

9to5adv.com

Hi all

I heated the mounting plate up and flattened it out, then bent it to go on the mirror mount. 

That way it stays out of the way of the tank if you have a tank bag. 

IMG_20201230_204002.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/29/2020 at 8:21 AM, JamesE said:

Hi All, an update on my installation. I found a pretty good compromise thanks to @85.adv on Instagram. Plenty out the way, but still in reach.

20201224_155553.jpg

20201229_144702.jpg

Where did you get that bracket to do that?

44 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Where did you get that bracket to do that?

It's just the metal one that comes in the box with the grips.

• Like 1

9to5adv.com

On 12/19/2020 at 7:24 AM, DT675 said:

B013D68C-220B-4930-BA82-A04433FF3A9D.thumb.jpeg.e93ea9e148924b3f423b63e2ea9d1e2a.jpeg

70FD0DB0-37BE-4FDF-A20D-25B59EF7DD84.thumb.jpeg.23b6b8cc1a131d1c45ba84816122a0c7.jpeg

how did you attach yours down there

Here, i lightened up the pic and zoomed in a little.  I just used the bracket that Oxford supplies, but bent it 90 degrees. They make it bendable on purpose for reasons like this.  

(I also have the Camel anti-bobble bracket so this may show a bracket that your bike may not have that my oxford bracket is against) 

9C6D97B6-D60F-47D9-9CC7-EBC4F79F81BB.thumb.jpeg.6440ec579f993f79fb74625b2bf7fc48.jpeg

• Like 1

Ahh that's a beautiful mounting location. Mine came today so i'll be installing shortly. Did you use the included superglue to attach them, another video I was watching said to use gorilla glue - but I feel funny gluing (so permanently) grips to my bike. 

I did use the included super glue. They don't move at all. You have to work kinda fast, it does set up a bit quick. 

I have no idea how hard they might be to remove if they ever need to be removed, I’m hoping they last forever lol. 

On 1/3/2021 at 6:32 PM, T7norway said:

Pretty happy with this location.

20210103_183120.jpg

Whats the best cable routing for this switch location? 

• Like 1

Nice installation, good location.
On my partner's motorcycle sp, I pulled the cable along the handlebar, and pulled it towards the chassis as close to the center of the handlebar as possible.
Then there will be as little movement as possible on the cable when you turn.

• Like 1