Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Factory heated grips

jetdr21

Question

I`m installing the Factory heated grips.

I may be missing the harness that plugs into the factory plug..  All I have is the harness that goes to the battery.  I can see a second one in some pictures is it another part  that needs to be ordered?  Or was the wrong kit ordered? 

The kit I have is B67-H29A0-V0  Universal Grip Heaters. 

13 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, jetdr21 said:

I`m installing the Factory heated grips.

I may be missing the harness that plugs into the factory plug..  All I have is the harness that goes to the battery.  I can see a second one in some pictures is it another part  that needs to be ordered?  Or was the wrong kit ordered? 

The kit I have is B67-H29A0-V0  Universal Grip Heaters. 

The “universal” kit has the harness to go back to the battery. You can order the separate Yamaha harness that will plug into the aux jack on either side of the bike or you can order the connector and roll your own by connecting it to the universal harness like I did. 

The universal kit is going on something else..  Full kit with correct harness is on order..

Factory wiring diagram shows grip heaters plugged into 3 prong accessory  plug on left side of bike, which is Conneced  to the 10 amp accessory fuse. My separate extension harness came with a 2 prong plug, same style. Use a pin extraction tool to remove the wires/pins from 2 prong plug and insert them in the 3 prong empty sealing plug, protecting the plug on the bike.  Ground to ground and positive to either positive terminal (they are connected). plug them together and your ready to go. This sets you up properly fused as the factory intended. The two auxiliary plugs are intended for dc outlets. One as stock, second as option in hole on right side of dash they are connected to a 2 amp fuse.  There is a second 3 prong accessory plug I believe on the right side intended for fog lights. Also connected to the accessory fuse. 

I've always wondered if going to directly to the battery might provide more amps (via higher volts?) resulting in more heat in these grips? My oem grips are connected to the left side connector, but as part of my kit I also got the connector to the battery. Come next spring I'm going to experiment and connect directly to the battery to see if I can get more heat. If not I will be switching to something else. The oem grips look nice, but in the end only put out enough heat (IMHO) for a ride on a cool California evening!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YukonPete said:

I've always wondered if going to directly to the battery might provide more amps (via higher volts?) resulting in more heat in these grips? My oem grips are connected to the left side connector, but as part of my kit I also got the connector to the battery. Come next spring I'm going to experiment and connect directly to the battery to see if I can get more heat. If not I will be switching to something else. The oem grips look nice, but in the end only put out enough heat (IMHO) for a ride on a cool California evening!

Wiring directly won’t make any difference in the power going to the grips. If you want to test, check the voltage at the accessory plug and then check it at the end of the  connector with it connected to the battery. I doubt you will see any difference. 

Did you program the factory grips?  They come set up to use the lowest of possible wattages for low alternator output bikes like scooters. The instructions show to program to use two higher wattage levels. 

That being said even at their hottest they don’t really creat a lot of heat.

Also annoying that they shut themselves off after 2 hours of use. I guess I should take more breaks when riding.   

I recently ordered from Eastern Beaver in Japan.  May take some time to receive with the current Christmas rush.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:00 PM, jetdr21 said:

The universal kit is going on something else..  Full kit with correct harness is on order..

What is the correct part number for the T7 specific kit?  I think I have done the same thing, ordered the part number you quoted that connects to the battery, not the aux plug.

Is this it?  @Richarddd this is what you used and then swapped the two pins to the three pin blank on the bike harness, correct?

BS2-F62B0-V0-00

BS2-F62B0-V0-00 Grip Heater Connector Cable

Edited by TenereTragic700

Part # for the full kit including the harness and the hard to find spacers is

YME-F2960-00-kit.

I ordered it through Rugged Roads

I did not have to change any pins, straight plug and play with the plug under the L/H panel.

So the correct connector from the Yamaha Universal Grip warmers to the T700 harness is BC6-H253L-00-00.

Not available US.

Three pin aux connector.

Picture 1 of 1

I just bought the grips and the plug cable for mounting under fairing instead of battery all from Yamaha.ca and the grip spacers as well all a very simple setup and man when the grips are set to the correct size of bike they are smoking hot at highest level, I have been running them on the middle setting and found that to be perfect

and to answer your question about the cable that looks like the cable I used plugged in the the clutch side of the bike as it isn't very long and the grips main controls come on the left side not the throttle side