Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mosko Backcountry with Rally Raid or Adventure Spec

jdk2man

Has anyone seen or actually figured out how to mount the Backcountry wedge on either the Rally Raid or adventure Spec racks?

I have the rack MM sells but it sticks out sooooo far, due to clearing the exhaust and being symmetrical.

I like the thin profile of the other racks but they dont look like you can mount the wedge on it unless some drilling, modification is done. I understand that they will be a slight slant, but thats ok.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Very large footprint wedge to fit a narrow Adventurespec rack. 150mm equal 6 caveman units. You will need to run them high or wide to miss the exhaust. Good luck! 

16086784912647649917753311898672.jpg

I used the MM backcountry panniers for a long time for rough road tours, and I liked them a lot. When I bought the T7, I saw that every rack that I could use those with stuck out too far, so I sold the panniers and bought the MM reckless 80's. I want to keep the T7 as narrow as possible with the weight carried as low and as far forward as practical. 

I've got the RR racks on my T7. It seems like there's absolutely no reason you couldn't fab something up to attach the wedges. I don't think you'd be able to use the stock MM clamps. Some fender washers or drilled flat stock might work just fine through the plates. It would seem that the racks/mounting plates on the RR racks are plenty strong as they are drilled for rotopacks. The panniers would be angled out a fair amount. I think the r-side pannier would clear the exhaust just fine.

Edited by Desert Mariner

3 hours ago, Desert Mariner said:

I used the MM backcountry panniers for a long time for rough road tours, and I liked them a lot. When I bought the T7, I saw that every rack that I could use those with stuck out too far, so I sold the panniers and bought the MM reckless 80's. I want to keep the T7 as narrow as possible with the weight carried as low and as far forward as practical. 

I've got the RR racks on my T7. It seems like there's absolutely no reason you couldn't fab something up to attach the wedges. I don't think you'd be able to use the stock MM clamps. Some fender washers or drilled flat stock might work just fine through the plates. It would seem that the racks/mounting plates on the RR racks are plenty strong as they are drilled for rotopacks. The panniers would be angled out a fair amount. I think the r-side pannier would clear the exhaust just fine.

A MM ambassador got back with me. He runs BC35's on RR racks on his KTM. He said they will work fine as long as you don't drop your bike alot. They will bend in. Enough to hit the swing arm. Luckily, they are easy to pull back out.

I have the Reckless 40, but it's too small. It was great for my WR250r when I had it.

But long distance touring, I like the Backcountry's. 

Plus, I can't fork out another $745 for another set of panniers. 

I was lucky enough to get the very first shipment of the BC35's. Got those, two storage pouches, plus the BC 40L duffles for under $500.  🙂

I hear you. The BC 35's are great panniers for long distance touring on and off road. I'm sure I'll miss mine.

Noob T7 owner here with a set of BC 35's and am trying to figure out the best rack to fit tight to the bike but keep the bags from splaying out. Was thinking of a high mount exhaust from @Camel ADV will help. 

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

I also have a set of BC35 panniers and I am thinking for the best (not to big, not sticking too far out, robust) system to mount them. So far I have identified Touratech side racks and Givi racks (not the original Yamaha). I am following this thread with interest...

As far as I could tell, nothing currently exists as an optimal solution. I just don’t like the panniers sticking out regardless of perceived benefits like being able to mount rotopax or tools on the inside of the pannier racks. For most of my riding with luggage on I want a narrow bike. It seems like everyone in this thread values the same thing. 

I finally decided to try something new after I got clipped by an ATV on a narrow, technical trail on a blind corner. I was on my DR650 with the BC35’s - a much narrower set up than the T7. My body and handlebars made it past, but the ATV rear tire hit my pannier and sent me into the bushes. 

Yes, a high mount exhaust may help, but only of someone builds a rack for that configuration. If you have the skills perhaps you could modify an existing rack.

My solution was to go to a minimal rack and luggage system for the T7. I’m also riding a smaller WR250R on the tough stuff near home now. It’s so much easier to pick up and it allows me to push my limits a bit more comfortably.

Edited by Desert Mariner
  • Like 1

I had a set of humor hard bags from my S10 I thought I would use on my T7. Long story short my bags are older and might not fit the newer style racks. Looking at the panniers and the racks though I realized it was going to make the back of the bike huge as heck. So instead of spending the 500-600 on the racks alone I just got a Reckless 80. I did add rally raid luggage racks and a saw motech rear rack so I could use my old top box.

outback motortrek makes a set of asymmetrical racks for the T7. In theory you would run a Mosko 25l on one and a 35 on the other. No ability to run a gas can on the inside though. 

mike