Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM chain dying at 5600Km?

yobinad

Question

Today i found a snaped chain o'ring(xring?) inside the front sprocket cover.

I did a visual inspection and found many o'rings damaged.

All damaged o'rings, including the one that came out, are on the out side of chain and are the ones at the front(looking at rotation direction).

The chain tension is wtihin spec.

I don't ride at rain, don't ride off-road and don't wash my bike.

Lube it every 1000Km and cleaned it twice since 0Km.

To clean it, i use chain cleaner spray and a rag.

To lube i use yamalube chain lubricant.

Have i done something wrong?

fullsizeoutput_36f.jpeg

9 answers to this question

Have you checked that you rear wheel is straight? Possible it’s not adjusted right when you adjusted chain tension. 

try sighting down form the back of the bike to make sure the two sprockets and chain are in a perfect straight line. If one is crooked it’s possible there is extra bending force being put on the chain causing that wear.

Mike

• Like 3

Hmmm even so it would have to miles out of alignment.

does the sprocket ( on the tight side) show high wear?

this is a DID issue if all straight which is leading chain manufacturer but yamaha will deal with this and new chain/ sprockets for you.

does it have the DID stamped on the chain and size?

BE5F33DE-506E-4CE9-8AC6-5FEEFA52EAD6.png

8F3AD8D5-17F1-4E2F-A64A-E8EB1A82FE8F.jpeg

It must be a bad chain......lot of complaints on the Yamaha Tracer/MT-09 forums about substandard chain problems and bad o’rings.

I have 5700 miles/9200 kms on my T7 chain and it looks like new with no damage visible.  I have cleaned and lubed the chain every 1000 miles or so since new.....FYI.

• Like 1

Hi.
Yes, there must be something wrong with it from the beginning.
I have ridden about 800km with mine, and have only washed the motorcycle as usual, and never done anything with the chain, not cleaned or lubricated it, and there is nothing wrong with it from what I can see.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:28 PM, MikeCMP said:

Have you checked that you rear wheel is straight? Possible it’s not adjusted right when you adjusted chain tension. 

try sighting down form the back of the bike to make sure the two sprockets and chain are in a perfect straight line. If one is crooked it’s possible there is extra bending force being put on the chain causing that wear.

Mike

When i did the chain adjust, I used a caliper to measure the chain tensioner on both sides. By doing that i made sure that the wheel was straight, unless the swingarm has differences between left and right.

Today, with the help of a backlight i've check the gap between the chain and sprocket. Rotating the wheel by hand it's not 100% accurate, but it doesn't look bad. Also measured again the chain tensioner and nothing has changed.

On 12/24/2020 at 4:07 PM, Matth said:

Hmmm even so it would have to miles out of alignment.

does the sprocket ( on the tight side) show high wear?

this is a DID issue if all straight which is leading chain manufacturer but yamaha will deal with this and new chain/ sprockets for you.

does it have the DID stamped on the chain and size?

Yes, the chain is a DID 525V11.

Monday i'll go at yamaha dealer to discuss this issue.

Thank you all for your replies.

Edited by yobinad

i realized the same thing, when i removed my wheels to put new tyres at 6800 kms...

I took a picture and sent it to my dealer. Two days later he called me and said, that

Yamaha has provided a new chain for my bike. No new sprockets though... will buy

them out of my own pocket and most likely get everything done at the 10 k service.

Cheers

Patrick

• Thanks 1

Too clean 😀 get it dirty and it will last longer or at least you wont care.

• Like 2