Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

GPS Wiring - Help Needed

Dakota

Question

Hey all, I ordered the Garmin Zumo XT and am looking for some help wiring it. I'm going to mount it to the bike with the Moto Pumps GPS Mount ($10 off using promo code SAVE$10GPS).

After reading through threads here, I ended up going with the Eastern Beaver "Power Leads for Aux Light Connector" as I'm not very comfortable with cutting into the bikes wiring harness / I want to do as much wiring off the bike as possible. I took of the left Right (when sitting on the bike) side cover, and it looks like the AUX connecter is easy to access, and I could likely plug this in without cutting that connecter from the wiring harness. 

Okay, on to my question. In the description it says "Three 18 AWG wires: ground, switched power and always hot power". I'm assuming there will be a sheet inside to help determine which is which, but ideally the GPS would only get power when the bike is on. What is the best way to keep that live cable from causing issues down the line.

I'm open to any and all suggestions to make this GPS mounting smooth and long lasting. 

Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by Dakota
Changing left to right

16 answers to this question

No need to cut any wires. The left hand Sumitimo available connector has three wires . If I remember the two live are both ign fed and the other is earth.

use a multimeter or 12 v lamp to check , you will only need two cables so the third will be redundant and stay in the original connector.

All you will need is the matching plug on its own and away you go.

The Garmin has a step down small transformer(12v to 5)  I think they call it so ensure the 

GPS power Cable is kept tidy and cable tie the small box neatly out the way, i have the same set up and its great albeit with a lockable mount.

the XT nav is quite a large nav and tbh you will likely need a Camel ADV bobble head mount. This stops any vibration you will get with mounting all of this up high. 

You can see this connection to the silver bar and they bolt on to the rear headlight bracket.

the connections have been discussed in great detail before so have a scout around!

60F7C0E3-E4FD-4C15-BF39-BDBF704BB5D3.jpeg

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matth said:

No need to cut any wires. The left hand Sumitimo available connector has three wires . If I remember the two live are both ign fed and the other is earth.

use a multimeter or 12 v lamp to check , you will only need two cables so the third will be redundant and stay in the original connector.

All you will need is the matching plug on its own and away you go.

The Garmin has a step down small transformer(12v to 5)  I think they call it so ensure the 

GPS power Cable is kept tidy and cable tie the small box neatly out the way, i have the same set up and its great albeit with a lockable mount.

the XT nav is quite a large nav and tbh you will likely need a Camel ADV bobble head mount. This stops any vibration you will get with mounting all of this up high. 

You can see this connection to the silver bar and they bolt on to the rear headlight bracket.

the connections have been discussed in great detail before so have a scout around!

Thanks for your reply! I've been reading all the threads and that's how I found that Aux Connector. My plan is to splice the garmin into that, and then just directly connect to the bike. I guess my question was of the three wires on that AUX plug, which do I ignore so that i'm getting switch power and not constant power. 

Camel bobble is def on the list, but it's currently sold out. 

I’m not sure that’s the correct connector you’re looking at.

I recently wired a Montana up and used the spare 2-pin connector under the RH cover if you’re sitting on the bike.

I bought one of these and it plugged straight in,

s-l400.jpg

Yamaha 2.3mm Unsealed Connector Set. Fitted to most Ténéré/MT/Tracer/R6 models to 2019. This is the loom side square 2 pin...

+12v plus - and only powered with ignition on.

4 minutes ago, Alan M said:

I’m not sure that’s the correct connector you’re looking at.

I recently wired a Montana up and used the spare 2-pin connector under the RH cover if you’re sitting on the bike.

I bought one of these and it plugged straight in,

s-l400.jpg

Yamaha 2.3mm Unsealed Connector Set. Fitted to most Ténéré/MT/Tracer/R6 models to 2019. This is the loom side square 2 pin...

+12v plus - and only powered with ignition on.

Super helpful, thank you! 

Hiya

the one on the left hand panel is a sumitimo connector with 3 wires. And im sure both are ign fed and one earth. Its a lower power outlet which suits the nav.

if its the two pin the above is correct.

your left hand connector ( also one on right) should look like this.

81C39171-552C-4908-BED2-BD9925BDF7EF.png

Both positive wires are switched. feed off the same fuse split to two wires before the connector

yamaha puts out a great service manual for the bike with an easy to follow wiring diagram. Mine came in a few days. 

I just installed my GPS today. I used the Eastern Beaver three pin connector, the black is ground, the other two are switched 12v.

I used the Rally Raid Handlebar clamp to mount mine. I didn't want to be staring at the GPS all the time.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/rally-raid-products-billet-handlebar-top-clamp-p

7 minutes ago, norton73 said:

I just installed my GPS today. I used the Eastern Beaver three pin connector, the black is ground, the other two are switched 12v.

I used the Rally Raid Handlebar clamp to mount mine. I didn't want to be staring at the GPS all the time.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/rally-raid-products-billet-handlebar-top-clamp-p

How long did the Easter beaver take to come? I think it ships from Japan (I ordered it last night) and I’m in Los Angeles 

Or go with a simple power module and connect all of yours electronics 

pretty simple and effective 

i have the same zumo xt

and a usb plug

and a smart charger plug

an another gps plug

and a sae connector 

You can add up to 5 electronics 2D0C11CA-4091-4BBB-8301-7E3171CF1852.thumb.jpeg.ac7ec3b41533179fb7f7677592df9159.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

How long did the Easter beaver take to come? I think it ships from Japan (I ordered it last night) and I’m in Los Angeles 

Took about 2 1/2 weeks, but I had ordered it just before Thanksgiving. I'm in Alabama, hopefully it will land in an LA port for you and won't spend much time in USPS hands.

Just now, norton73 said:

Took about 2 1/2 weeks, but I had ordered it just before Thanksgiving. I'm in Alabama, hopefully it will land in an LA port for you and won't spend much time in USPS hands.

Good to know - thanks!

15 hours ago, Dakota said:

How long did the Easter beaver take to come? 

Well, it depends on if you bought it drinks first??  🙂🙂🙂

took me 4 days from order to arrive in San Jose.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cstatman said:

Well, it depends on if you bought it drinks first??  🙂🙂🙂

took me 4 days from order to arrive in San Jose.

Genuinely lol'd

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Genuinely lol'd

i've been collecting links and prices -  made spreadsheet

the eastern beaver wiring harness has been super easy to work with,  very pleased with how easy it was to plug in,  then have pigtails to work with.   instead of splicing into other places,  etc. etc.

so far>   loving my T7

eRNnL3eoAaaSuiGzcidI8pmonn4Nm3jM2788xSfZ

Sheet1 Item,Vendor,Model/part#,URL,Price,Comment/Notes USD$ ABS Sensor Guard,Xitomer,<a...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cstatman said:

i've been collecting links and prices -  made spreadsheet

the eastern beaver wiring harness has been super easy to work with,  very pleased with how easy it was to plug in,  then have pigtails to work with.   instead of splicing into other places,  etc. etc.

so far>   loving my T7

eRNnL3eoAaaSuiGzcidI8pmonn4Nm3jM2788xSfZ

Sheet1 Item,Vendor,Model/part#,URL,Price,Comment/Notes USD$ ABS Sensor Guard,Xitomer,<a...

Oh wow, this is super helpful! Thanks

super helpful in separating you and your paycheck!   🙂  

the vendors on this forum> i cannot support enough

Camel &  Rally Raid have been awesome to buy from and work with.