Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear spring replacement

jeff03064

Like many others, I'm getting ready to replace the stock rear spring with the Rally Raid one. I've got the rear suspension off and the RR one on hand but what tool are people buying to compress the spring for the replacement process? 

Haven't gotten to the change on the T7 yet, but did the change on my Husky this way: measure the spring seat location, back the spring seat off enough that the spring is loose so you can pull the retaining clip off, change springs, reset the seat to your measurement. Did this a lot on race cars for set up and corner weighting, just be consistent in where u measure. (make a mark)

You cant back it off enough to be remotely loose, Just a normal motorcycle spring compressor. Mechanical. Or pop in to bike shop to get them to do it. 

You can do it otherways with small ratchet straps etc however its a bit risky to not use the right tool

Edited by Matth

1 hour ago, jeff03064 said:

Like many others, I'm getting ready to replace the stock rear spring with the Rally Raid one. I've got the rear suspension off and the RR one on hand but what tool are people buying to compress the spring for the replacement process? 

I used this.  

tus_15_sho_spr_com.jpg

The Tusk Shock Spring Compressor makes motorcycle shock coil spring removal and installation a simple task. Spring coil hooks and bolt are made from hardened chromoly steel while the outer body is made from stainless steel. The bolt head accepts a 17mm wrench or a 3/8” ratchet to make the compression quick. *Makes motorcycle shock spring removal and...

Works perfectly.

J

• Like 2

I used three small ratchet straps but it was pretty sketchy.  If I have to do that again, I'll be getting proper spring compressors like the Tusks posted above.

1 hour ago, SociallyStunted said:

I used three small ratchet straps but it was pretty sketchy.  If I have to do that again, I'll be getting proper spring compressors like the Tusks posted above.

Thanks. If I end up doing this, I'll bring it to the shop.

Today I was fitting / sizing up brackets to attach a plastic box to the inside pannier area to hold emergency tools.

I also plan to mount a 3+ inch tool tube on the right for a spare tube.

Similar to the below-->

323AD81B-88F1-427E-97DB-BC7E7F2A89F7.jpeg

Edited by ADVUSA

I used a device like the Tusk one in above post, and it was still a little sketchy . Definitely use a antenna magnet to pull the retainer ring, I wouldn't put my fingers in there.. 

Best bet is take a trip to a bike shop for 10-20 bucks and have them do it, Proper tool only takes all of a few minutes 

• Like 1

Bought a cheap set of motorcycle spring compressors similar to the above tusk ones off ebay. Do not use ratchet straps, way too dangerous.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 12:42 PM, Goldentaco said:

I used this.  

tus_15_sho_spr_com.jpg

The Tusk Shock Spring Compressor makes motorcycle shock coil spring removal and installation a simple task. Spring coil hooks and bolt are made from hardened chromoly steel while the outer body is made from stainless steel. The bolt head accepts a 17mm wrench or a 3/8” ratchet to make the compression quick. *Makes motorcycle shock spring removal and...

Works perfectly.

J

Thanks! I might have to get a set of those. Some of the reviews had me a little concerned though. A couple people mentioned that they "walked" when using them. I've seen the videos with people using ratchet straps and I'm just not interested in doing that. Just a little too sketchy for my comfort level.

2 hours ago, Gary Dirt said:

I used a device like the Tusk one in above post, and it was still a little sketchy . Definitely use a antenna magnet to pull the retainer ring, I wouldn't put my fingers in there.. 

Best bet is take a trip to a bike shop for 10-20 bucks and have them do it, Proper tool only takes all of a few minutes 

Originally that was my first choice. I called 2 places near me asking if they would do the swap. One place said it would be "at least $50" and the other claimed that it was a "non-serviceable item" and they wouldn't do it. I'll just buy a tool and do it myself.

Originally that was my first choice. I called 2 places near me asking if they would do the swap. One place said it would be "at least $50" and the other claimed that it was a "non-serviceable item" and they wouldn't do it. I'll just buy a tool and do it myself.

Re the walking, I used a cam lock strap wrapped around the two parts to keep the two sides from moving.  Then went to work on the spring.  Whole job took 30 min.  The screws don't come lubricated.  make sure you put some grease all over the threads.  

Any of the bad reviews are probably from people that shouldn't be working on their own suspension in the first place.

J

• Like 1

I did use the tusk version to do mine but tbh they aren’t great. The plastic spring grips are too slidey and do walk or slide down the spring.

i used a v large spanner to go over the tusk tool to hold it in shape. Also I noticed the plastic grip compresses and metal against the spring which can take the paint off. 

As said you need to strip the tusk and grease the threads , I think ok ish for one hit after that ive binned mine as pretty dodgy.

ive made a clamp that sits under a 1 tone bottle jack in a rectangle. Bolt the shock to it and pump away. 

• Like 1

I have given some thought to use my NoMar Cycle Hill tire bead breaker’s leverage to compress my shock spring.  What do you think?

3BDEFF05-BC38-4BFE-B96A-E6DA5BA95FFF.jpeg

19 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

I have given some thought to use my NoMar Cycle Hill tire bead breaker’s leverage to compress my shock spring.  What do you think?

3BDEFF05-BC38-4BFE-B96A-E6DA5BA95FFF.jpeg

BAD IDEA! There is a Shet ton of energy in that spring, if it slips and comes out you could be really messed up. Buy the right tool or take it to a shop and get them to swap it out. I have done the ratchet strap method before and while it works, it is sketchy! 

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 2

I have seen the ratchet strap method and the use of straps/hydraulic car jack.  I hate to waste time at a dealer or 

buy a one time use tool.  Safety is my priority so it may wind up at the shop.👍

I bought and tried the Tusk type compressors after using the ratchet strap idea once or twice. Not very impressed, as previously mentioned, they tend to walk down the slope of the spring. They also seem to need an awful lot of force applying to them which makes holding things together rather dodgy.

I eventually made myself a reasonably good and safe compressor from an old scissor jack. It works very well, but I still don't use my fingers to remove the spring collar.

IMG_20210104_194322 (Copy).jpg

• Like 3

That’s an awesome tool right there ☝️

I did the floor jack version and it was sketchy, scary and dangerous as hell.   To try and make it a little better I made a wood clamp of sorts to help it stay put. That and instead of wrapping the ratchet strap around the spring itself I used a soft strap on each side, and hooked the ratchet strap to those. That way the soft straps act like chokers and that helped it to not walk down the spring not to mention prevent spring scuffing.  Not that I’d recommend any of this..

On 1/3/2021 at 9:46 AM, Matth said:

I did use the tusk version to do mine but tbh they aren’t great. The plastic spring grips are too slidey and do walk or slide down the spring.

i used a v large spanner to go over the tusk tool to hold it in shape. Also I noticed the plastic grip compresses and metal against the spring which can take the paint off. 

As said you need to strip the tusk and grease the threads , I think ok ish for one hit after that ive binned mine as pretty dodgy.

ive made a clamp that sits under a 1 tone bottle jack in a rectangle. Bolt the shock to it and pump away. 

Yeah, they definitely don't look like a high quality item. Fortunately I'll probably only need to use it once, maybe twice. I'll try to figure out something to keep it from walking on me.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:19 PM, T7norway said:

I used some straps, but yep it was a bit scary. Do it on your own risk.

20200826_153120.jpg

I'm glad it worked out for you but that looks sketchy as hell! I can't believe that it didn't snap up to the vertical position under full compression.

I'm glad it worked out for you but that looks sketchy as hell! I can't believe that it didn't snap up to the vertical position under full compression.

Yeah, I was aware of that.

Most scetchy was when I should release the new stronger spring. You can't release thosen straps in a nice way. I will not advise doing it like that..

• Like 1

I did the floor jack with straps. My advice if you do this is to use 4 straps so it doesnt kick out. It works, but is a gut wrenching experience. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, Gary Dirt said:

My stealership wants to charge me 75.00 to change my spring if I bring it to them, I'm going to try the tusk tool.

• Like 1