Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Torque wrench

Dakota

Question

I’ve never owned a torque wrench. With my goal of doing all work on the Tenere myself, it’s time I get one. 

Any recommendations?

10 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I’ve never owned a torque wrench. With my goal of doing all work on the Tenere myself, it’s time I get one. 

Any recommendations?

Don’t get the cheapest you can find. 
Don’t get the most expensive one you can find. 

Probably will be fine with 3/8” drive spend between $50 and $120. 

Harbor freight is hit or mis with tools and I don’t like Chinese knockoffs for precision tools. Their hand tools can be good ( I like their composite socket wrenches). Small Allen’s I‘d go with a name brand. 

J

• Like 1

At very minimum, Tekton is the brand that I would get/use.

hunt for 2nd hand Snap-on. Lifetime warranty carries over with the tool so even if the tool breaks, find a snap-on truck and they will repair for you for free and/or replace it.

I'm sure I have commented on this before! Maybe it was in another forum. 

I am a fan of the Aussie made Warren and Brown. I have several ranging from the baby 2oNm to the bigger brother 200Nm. I used to have a 1" drive up to 1000Nm but somebody wanted it more than me! I also have a compact Norbar to 100Nm. Between the baby and the Norbar ( good Pommy made unit ) most things are covered.

Please don't buy chinese rubbish. Use good quality Aussie, Pommy, Euro, or US made tools

Edited by Rider 101
  • Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I'd look at 3/8 drive, make sure it can lower than the smallest torque setting you will ever use...dont use these on the first or last setting espec in soft stuff like alloy.

Have several different torque wrenches, the 3 main ones I use are : 

1. 3-8" - Matco  beam type 5-200 inlbs

2. 3/8" - snap-on range is 5-75 ftlbs

3. 1/2-  Matco 25- 250 ftlbs

That being said if I had to choose, I would start out with torques wrenches in the range of  1. and 2. Most of the fasteners on our bikes fall into those ranges. when it comes to calibrated tools I would try to find a quality tool, but there is no need to run out and buy a snap-on, matco, mac setup.

I would look for a good clicker or beam type torque wrench from tekton, craftsman, blackhawk/proto, NAPA would also have Carlyle Brand but they run up closer to the 200+ range in price 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-3-8-in-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench-20-ft-lb-to-100-ft-lb/1000772356

Proto-J6006c

Craftsman 25-250 inlb torque wrench

Also, swing into your local pawns shops, and see what they have in the tool section you can get pretty good deals. 

and please be kind to you tool ( don't use it as a regular ratchet handle/ breaker bar)

Edited by ClutchXT

I have eTORK (EC2250) 3/8-Inch Drive"Click Style" Digital Torque Wrench (25-250 in.-lb/2.08-20.83 ft.-lb./2.82-28.25 N.m) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WRN2SD9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_QTneHJRuR6EoM and TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-150-Foot/Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL0RU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_pR94SNH14zJZv

Happy with both

im very old school, and have my 1970s craftsman beam style

I also have a craftsman clicker - its nice.

as GoldenTaco WISELY states - don't buy the best of the best - and don't buy cheap crap

On 1/3/2021 at 12:44 AM, JimmyTheHuman said:

I'd look at 3/8 drive, make sure it can lower than the smallest torque setting you will ever use...dont use these on the first or last setting espec in soft stuff like alloy.

Ditto

I use  a 1/4" drive 1 to 25 Nm for smaller fasteners (plastics, etc. and where a short handle is useful), and a 3/8" drive 10 Nm to 105 Nm for axles, sprockets, etc.

Good quality tools are the only way to go.