Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Suspension upgrade. fork cartridges

jimmi

Hi does any of you have experience with these fork cartridges? I know of the other options. but this seems cheap compared to other cartridges.

I tend to ride the same places I ride my little ktm exc 450 (I cant help my self:D so im looking for a suspension that can take some punishment and not bottoming out all the time like it does now. 

What do you think about them, is it worth the money?

crk-xt660z_andreani_cartridge_yamaha_xt6

Hydraulic front fork Cartridge Kit Yamaha Tenere 700 - Hydraulic front fork Cartridge Kit Yamaha Tenere 700 Fully adjustable hydraulic fork cartridge kit with adjustable compression and rebound for th

Look like andreani units? Its the size of the internal piston that gives the ultimate control and these were 20 mm if I remember so same as standard Yam units.

The only difference i can see is the adjustable pre load, would be cheaper to buy the pre load caps from Rally Raid then it would be like for like.

Edited by Matth

I have heard the andreani work quite well for the $ but lacks a little bit when pushed hard .

i reckon a good tuner could get a similar result  ( i did a revalve and its now able to be pushed without bottoming but the compromise is its a little harsh when ridden tamely )

look at mad tv review of k tech and rally  raid . Both rate well as does a good revalve . 
also ride adv are testing lots of others stuff including andreani along with teknic suspension . Results coming soon ( look at the their facebook page ) 

Follow ride adv for more suspension info coming soon 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P2voIcoum5M

1 hour ago, Stujamur said:

Keen to hear others thoughts on the suspension mods in this video, as I'm considering  one, of the options mentioned, Rally Raid option is out the question as it's far to expensive.

Edited by Stevoh

27 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

Keen to hear others thoughts on the suspension mods in this video, as I'm considering  one, of the options mentioned, Rally Raid option is out the question as it's far to expensive.

I would go see Clive

i didnt as i was worried about posting my suspension so went local, have since spoken to him directly and he feels the k tech fork upgrade is great and good value . I think that with clives revalve on the rear plus spring would be great . 
he owns a t7 and has done lots of testing

I bought touratechs cartridge system for my forks and i wouldnt have it any other way. The price is right for these cartridges and frankly, for me, anything was better than the stock setup. I went full blast on my forks and i dont regret it. The consistency is worth it alone. 

The website isnt clear on the details. It appears you will have spring preload on borth forks, rebound dampening on the right and compression dampening on the left. As long as you can order this set with a spring weight that matches you and your ride style then i would do it. 

7 hours ago, Stevoh said:

Too expensive, compared to which other comparable cartridge kits?

8 minutes ago, Ktmmitch said:

Too expensive, compared to which other comparable cartridge kits?

I'm comparing only to the options shown on the MAD YouTube vid.

I live not so far from Clive Wards suspension business, so at this point I'm considering to take my bike to him, quite a few have recommended him, but  I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Edited by Stevoh

2 hours ago, Stevoh said:

I'm comparing only to the options shown on the MAD YouTube vid.

I live not so far from Clive Wards suspension business, so at this point I'm considering to take my bike to him, quite a few have recommended him, but  I'm certainly open to suggestions.

We have been working with Clive Ward, and he fitted our OC fork kit to David Darcy (MAD TV) test bike.

We are very keen for Clive to fit & distribute our Rally Raid Suspension, as his depth of knowledge is a great help for those customers unsure as to their requirements.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

We have been working with Clive Ward, and he fitted our OC fork kit to David Darcy (MAD TV) test bike.

We are very keen for Clive to fit & distribute our Rally Raid Suspension, as his depth of knowledge is a great help for those customers unsure as to their requirements.

Ktmmitch who do you recommend in the UK, who has the same experience, Dyno facilities for forks and shock and ability to customise for customers requirements? I’ve been following the various suspension threads on this forum as well as others, concerning the T7, so far there have been a percentage that want a true off-road style setup, and some have been very happy with that using RR OC fork kit. But there has been others that have found from there own experience, that the setup is still too harsh and even that the springs supplied for their recommended weight, has led to a harsh ride. 

I know there are many that are looking to improve their suspension (personal choice and I’m not suggesting that the standard suspension is rubbish, its perfectly ok for many), there is a want for a plusher ride and might not want a off-road biased setup. What seems to be lacking here in the UK particularly, is a UK based suspension guru like Clive Ward (who seems to be an outstanding guy and very knowledgable), who has the experience and will work with their customer, to tune to their particular preference. I did go to a so called suspension expert in Wiltshire last year, but he proved to be a waste of time, treated me like a cash cow, charged a lot of money, and didn’t do anything I hadn’t already done myself, and I ended up going back to my own settings. On reflection, he showed no interest in working with me, or an interest in the particular bike. That’s in the past now, a lesson learned, but it does make you a bit wary about who you can trust. 

I really enjoy Dave Darcy, Clive and Clubby and the MAD TV youtube channel, some great and enjoyable content. However, it has little bearing to the type of riding I do, so however useful their tests and content is to the many riders in Australia, US and other countries, where they have such vast areas to enjoy true off-roading, it doesn’t transfer to how I want my bike to ride, mainly on the crap potholed surfaced back roads and some gravel tracks. 

I will continue to follow the various threads, hoping to learn from people’s experiences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, FredBasset said:

Ktmmitch who do you recommend in the UK, who has the same experience, Dyno facilities for forks and shock and ability to customise for customers requirements? I’ve been following the various suspension threads on this forum as well as others, concerning the T7, so far there have been a percentage that want a true off-road style setup, and some have been very happy with that using RR OC fork kit. But there has been others that have found from there own experience, that the setup is still too harsh and even that the springs supplied for their recommended weight, has led to a harsh ride. 

I know there are many that are looking to improve their suspension (personal choice and I’m not suggesting that the standard suspension is rubbish, its perfectly ok for many), there is a want for a plusher ride and might not want a off-road biased setup. What seems to be lacking here in the UK particularly, is a UK based suspension guru like Clive Ward (who seems to be an outstanding guy and very knowledgable), who has the experience and will work with their customer, to tune to their particular preference. I did go to a so called suspension expert in Wiltshire last year, but he proved to be a waste of time, treated me like a cash cow, charged a lot of money, and didn’t do anything I hadn’t already done myself, and I ended up going back to my own settings. On reflection, he showed no interest in working with me, or an interest in the particular bike. That’s in the past now, a lesson learned, but it does make you a bit wary about who you can trust. 

I really enjoy Dave Darcy, Clive and Clubby and the MAD TV youtube channel, some great and enjoyable content. However, it has little bearing to the type of riding I do, so however useful their tests and content is to the many riders in Australia, US and other countries, where they have such vast areas to enjoy true off-roading, it doesn’t transfer to how I want my bike to ride, mainly on the crap potholed surfaced back roads and some gravel tracks. 

I will continue to follow the various threads, hoping to learn from people’s experiences. 

We developed our OC forks here in the UK, with input from Martin Wittering at Torque racing, who is our suspension partner, and the UK Sales & Service Centre for Tractive & Touratech Suspension, complete with full dyno facilities.

I have raced enduro extensively for over 30 years, as well as trials and motocross, and Martin has worked in the USA for some top teams before setting up his own business here in the UK, Torque racing have also prepared many Dakar and other rally bikes. He has also a support and service team for many international rallies, including Dakar.

We developed the Open Cartridge kit as a by-product of the Closed Cartridge, to make something less expensive and easier to maintain for the majority of riders.

Martin fits many of our UK customer suspension for T7, at fixed menu pricing, and can also offer a personal set-up to fine tune the suspension to suit your individual needs.

We can supply our suspension from our website, delivered to Torque Racing, so that you can do a ride-in, ride-out service.

You, and any other UK T7 owner, are more than welcome to come to our factory and try out our own T7, fitted with OC fork kit, just contact us to arrange a convenient time.

Edited by Ktmmitch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, Stevoh said:

I took my bike to Clive after its first dirt ride and got him to fit the 90 rear spring and spacers to front forks.  Much improved and have basically left it how he set it.  I am still yet to fiddle with the clickers but I am very happy with it.  I hover around the 92 kilo mark in weight without riding gear on.

On 1/9/2021 at 4:46 AM, DazR said:

I took my bike to Clive after its first dirt ride and got him to fit the 90 rear spring and spacers to front forks.  Much improved and have basically left it how he set it.  I am still yet to fiddle with the clickers but I am very happy with it.  I hover around the 92 kilo mark in weight without riding gear on.

What length are the spacers he installed?  Any change to fork oil? Thanks

Clive fitted 5mm pre-load spacers and added fork oil to each leg, revalve to suit me.  Vacuum bleed  and pressure fill shock and fit K-Tech 9nm rear spring. Also set up the clickers for me which I havent needed to touch so far as very happy.