Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Adventure Spec side rack question

jdk2man

Can someone with an AS side rack take a pic with a yard stick (or Meter stick) or any straight edge, along the rack on the exhaust side? Holding the edge flat on the rack.

I'm trying to see if it will hit the exhaust. 

I'm looking to mount my mosko panniers and want to check if the wedge will hit the muffler or not. 

Thanks in advance.

Is this what you’re looking for? 

48424805-5C94-4792-86D3-85C8CEBC08E9.jpeg

Edited by Vtamb81

41 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Is this what you’re looking for? 

48424805-5C94-4792-86D3-85C8CEBC08E9.jpeg

exactly. Dang. Looks like I may have to go with the tucked in high exhaust. Thanks so much

• Like 1

This might not be a useful observation because not Mosko bags, but I run Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers on the AdvSpec side and tail racks. I added a Giant Loop heat shield to the top of the exhaust and there's no problem with melting the pannier or any other problem. The loaded pannier also protects the exhaust from getting pushed in in an off, as it and the Barkbusters are what contact the ground. Maybe there's a similar setup available for your Mosko's?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to like these but I just can’t see how a 35 liter soft bag will make it through a BDR without a hole getting burned through it.  Seems the bottom of a loaded bag would surely rest on the muffler at some point.  

please correct me with some experience to the contrary cuz I want these.  

1 hour ago, dashredder said:

I want to like these but I just can’t see how a 35 liter soft bag will make it through a BDR without a hole getting burned through it.  Seems the bottom of a loaded bag would surely rest on the muffler at some point.  

Last summer I rode with my Siskiyou panniers on for about 6000 km total, with a mix of gravel and paved highways, active and deactivated forest service roads and a few places I probably shouldn't have been on. The panniers just touch the Giant Loop Hot Springs heat shields so there's no contact with the muffler itself. No contact, no damage. The Siskiyou's came with two shields but I only needed to use one of them.

Edited by Uncle M
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 9:09 AM, dashredder said:

We solved this problem long ago with our now much-copied Hot Springs Heat Shield! 

GL-Heat Shield-With Bag.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, dashredder said:

@dashredder  i got them mounted.  

On 1/7/2021 at 8:18 PM, Uncle M said:

This might not be a useful observation because not Mosko bags, but I run Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers on the AdvSpec side and tail racks. I added a Giant Loop heat shield to the top of the exhaust and there's no problem with melting the pannier or any other problem. The loaded pannier also protects the exhaust from getting pushed in in an off, as it and the Barkbusters are what contact the ground. Maybe there's a similar setup available for your Mosko's?

Can you post a pic of your GL Siskiyou setup on the AS racks? I’m thinking about that option...

@Atomizer, the bike's in storage for winter and the racks are off it, but here are a few pics from trips last summer. Let me know if you want different photos showing any specific details and I could throw the racks and bags back on the bike this weekend.

BTW, not shown in the photos but  I used a GL Revelstoke snowmobile bag as a top bag.

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

Edited by Uncle M
  • Like 2