Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rally Raid Spring

jeff03064

I got the Rally Raid rear spring kit from RMATV but it didn't come with any installation instructions. There are 2 black spacers that come with the spring. One is thicker and has a larger diameter and the other is thinner and a smaller diameter. Which one goes on top and which goes on bottom?

9 minutes ago, jeff03064 said:

I got the Rally Raid rear spring kit from RMATV but it didn't come with any installation instructions. There are 2 black spacers that come with the spring. One is thicker and has a larger diameter and the other is thinner and a smaller diameter. Which one goes on top and which goes on bottom?

Top is smaller one.

J

• Like 1

Just installed the spring....not impressed with the Tusk compressor, the plastic is too hard and smooth and they slide down. Wound up putting a hose clamp on the spring to get the job done.

5 minutes ago, sracer said:

Just installed the spring....not impressed with the Tusk compressor, the plastic is too hard and smooth and they slide down. Wound up putting a hose clamp on the spring to get the job done.

Really? I was worried, but I had no slippage whatsoever yesterday. I used a big adjustable wrench to hold the body of the compressor, right up by the bolt, so that the body would not take any of the force of turning the bolt. 

After reading several reviews, I was worried about the Tusk compressors slipping too. I wrapped a bit of old tube and hose clamps to the spring. Seemed to work well. The compressors "adjusted" slightly when I transitioned from compressing to decompressing but otherwise worked good. As others have mentioned, keep the adjustable wrench up near the adjuster bolt, not on the main body. One thing I would do different is to have the compressors flipped around (adjuster bolt on top) from what I show in my picture. It just would have been a little easier to turn the wrenches with it flipped around.

20210110_115133.jpg

20210110_115343.jpg

Yep. I put the top of the shock in the clamp, with the bottom of the shock pointing up. Compressor bolts pointed up. I was worried they would slip, but they did not move at all. The compressors will sit at an angle to the shock, as they need to be perpendicular to the wind of the coil, but that is fine. I also only cranked the bolts 5 1/4 turns at a time, then did the same to the opposite side. This is not to say that the Tusk compressors are "high quality", but they did the job. 

Note the pic from the RMATVMC instructions:

image.png.241337881812c6700a1a3e221e691ccb.png 

Edited by BLZ2DWL
  • Like 1