Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

3D Printed Airbox Cover File Request

Tooph

Question

I recently printed an anti-vibration mount that turned out great thanks to a member sharing it here. I've been keeping my eye out for a .stl file to print an airbox cover like this one. Since getting a a full exhaust, tune and pulling snorkel. I'd love to have the option for a secondary filter like I did with the snorkel in place. 

Anyone willing to share this file?

Cheers!

covern.jpg

• Like 4

23 answers to this question

On 1/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, Tooph said:

I recently printed an anti-vibration mount that turned out great thanks to a member sharing it here. I've been keeping my eye out for a .stl file to print an airbox cover like this one. Since getting a a full exhaust, tune and pulling snorkel. I'd love to have the option for a secondary filter like I did with the snorkel in place. 

Anyone willing to share this file?

Cheers!

covern.jpg

I'm going to attempt and replicate this on autocad.. I have a regular plastic cover from ebay without the lip sticking up. Question is how tall should I make the lip? 

Is there any interest in milling these plastic and selling them or is 3d printed good enough. Some people don't like the rough look of the 3d printed file. 

Machining will be more expensive but will have smooth edges. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

this may help, guy has made one to fit a specific off the shelf filter. Maybe working backwards from the filter design is easier?

20 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I'm going to attempt and replicate this on autocad.. I have a regular plastic cover from ebay without the lip sticking up. Question is how tall should I make the lip? 

Is there any interest in milling these plastic and selling them or is 3d printed good enough. Some people don't like the rough look of the 3d printed file. 

Machining will be more expensive but will have smooth edges. 

Aleks 

It’s under the seat, it doesn’t matter what it looks like, in my opinion. 

I 3D printed the plastic swing arm caps and you would never know. If someone doesn’t want the rougher look they can use a smaller layer height.

if you design it that would be cool. I designed an adapter for my XR400 to take a different carb, 3D printing is one of the neater things to go mainstream 😀

Mike

I haven't gotten around to do it yet, but hope to find some tine this weekend.

Aleks 

• Like 2

Rough print versus mill gets my vote. If i were to guess, I'd say an inch high would be enough to fasten a filter with a ziptie and low enough to clear the seat pan. 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:16 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

I haven't gotten around to do it yet, but hope to find some tine this weekend.

Aleks 

Hey just saw your post here. Did you end up making an stl?

• Like 1

There are quite a few of these style for the FZ/MT07. If it’s the same you could just use one of those .stl files 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cruton31 said:

Hey just saw your post here. Did you end up making an stl?

Never made it happened, lost with different projects on mine... I've gone the route of velocity stacks on mine... 

Aleks 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Never made it happened, lost with different projects on mine... I've gone the route of velocity stacks on mine... 

Aleks 

Okay thanks! 

I have printed all three of these. Both covers fitted really well on my OG UniFilter.

Some two hours rides with no warping or loosening. Printed in carbon fiber PLA

For the DNA filter  

ab6b19821086f48f4b74d24aaa86e74c_preview

The original part is crazy expensive (!95USD!) and is perfect for 3d printing. This part takes inspiration from the DNA cover design, but all measurements is based upon the OEM cover. I used ABS, but will try to print it in PLA in the...

For the Unifilter (currently installed)

And the cone for the OG filter top without snorkel (fits the original tops opening)

ec44744ab36e8094482d9fd6d0f703b8_preview

This smooth intake piece replaces your snorkel and provides a smooth inlet for the air. For added sealing, you can cut and glue a piece of rubber along the bottom edge.

If there is anyone with fusion360/CAD skills that can combine the cone with Unifilter version that would be awesome.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:38 AM, Wizbang said:

I have printed all three of these. Both covers fitted really well on my OG UniFilter.

Some two hours rides with no warping or loosening. Printed in carbon fiber PLA

For the DNA filter  

ab6b19821086f48f4b74d24aaa86e74c_preview

The original part is crazy expensive (!95USD!) and is perfect for 3d printing. This part takes inspiration from the DNA cover design, but all measurements is based upon the OEM cover. I used ABS, but will try to print it in PLA in the...

For the Unifilter (currently installed)

And the cone for the OG filter top without snorkel (fits the original tops opening)

ec44744ab36e8094482d9fd6d0f703b8_preview

This smooth intake piece replaces your snorkel and provides a smooth inlet for the air. For added sealing, you can cut and glue a piece of rubber along the bottom edge.

If there is anyone with fusion360/CAD skills that can combine the cone with Unifilter version that would be awesome.

actually, using prusa slicer, you can prolly combine them in the slicer app. I can try later if I get some time or will do it in fusion.

Mike

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

actually, using prusa slicer, you can prolly combine them in the slicer app. I can try later if I get some time or will do it in fusion.

Mike

That would be awesome MIke. The only tricky bit (for me at least) is widening the funnel to match the Uni-Filter model.

The cone is currently for the original which is much narrower so the cone bottom needs to be widened and the screw fixtures removed and it joined to the other piece.

I can remove the supports and join them in TinkaCAD but I can't widen the bottom of the cone.

I also like the red one from the top of this page because it should be easy to secure a pre-filter as well.

1 hour ago, Wizbang said:

That would be awesome MIke. The only tricky bit (for me at least) is widening the funnel to match the Uni-Filter model.

The cone is currently for the original which is much narrower so the cone bottom needs to be widened and the screw fixtures removed and it joined to the other piece.

I can remove the supports and join them in TinkaCAD but I can't widen the bottom of the cone.

I also like the red one from the top of this page because it should be easy to secure a pre-filter as well.

Might make it more tricky. Sometimes it’s difficult to import a model for 3d printing into fusion since they like their format better, and I think the format is missing something fusion needs. Can’t remember it’s been a while , but I’ll look.

• Like 2

.stl files are a mesh format. They cannot be easily edited in fusion without conversion that results in some imprecisions. I don't think Fusion supports .blend files.

You need an file format that does not store the object as a mesh like f3d, step, ...

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

On 1/11/2021 at 9:03 PM, Tooph said:

Recientemente imprimí una montura antivibración que resultó genial gracias a un miembro que la compartió aquí. He estado atento a un archivo .stl para imprimir una cubierta de airbox como esta. Desde conseguir un escape completo, afina y tira del snorkel. Me encantaría tener la opción de un filtro secundario como lo hice con el snorkel en su lugar.

¿Alguien dispuesto a compartir este archivo?

¡Bien!

covern.jpg

me alegro de que la pieza antivibración te sea de utilidad, la diseñe yo con mucho trabajo pero ha dado buenos resultados y me alegro. Saludos

• Like 1

I had some time and got inspired after watching some tutorials on Youtube for Tinkercad.

It printed well and feels strong but testing will tell (which I haven't done yet - next weekend two day group ride)

Should be great as is for those doing mostly bitumen and will allow the dirt riders to add a prefilter 😉

featured_preview_tenere_700_airbox_lid_a

I combined/remixed two previous works to have the best of both worlds. Shadetherapper MT07 airbox cover for the K&N filter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4860476 Alpha_Wolf's FZ-07 Air Intake...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Wizbang said:

I had some time and got inspired after watching some tutorials on Youtube for Tinkercad.

It printed well and feels strong but testing will tell (which I haven't done yet - next weekend two day group ride)

Should be great as is for those doing mostly bitumen and will allow the dirt riders to add a prefilter 😉

I combined/remixed two previous works to have the best of both worlds. Shadetherapper MT07 airbox cover for the K&N filter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4860476 Alpha_Wolf's FZ-07 Air Intake...

Nice - My apologies I never got around to trying this out, I will check out what you made 🙂

8 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

Nice - My apologies I never got around to trying this out, I will check out what you made 🙂

No probs at all, the YouTube tutorials got me inspired/motivated to give it a whirl and the print seems good.

@Tooph Hope this helps and gives you something to work with.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 10/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, Wizbang said:

Nice one @Wizbang, I appreciate the time you put into this!

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

On 10/5/2021 at 12:52 AM, Wizbang said:

Great job! I'll print one this weekend.  I'm thinking about going with a flexible filament instead of PLA. I have good experiences with colorfabb Ngen Flex. Less warping, less creep under stress and higher temperatures, and no cracking.

NGEN_FLEX_BLACK.png?quality=80&bg-color=

nGen_FLEX kan het beste worden omschreven als een semi-flexibel filament met een shore-hardheid van 95A. Het kan door een bowdenbuis worden gevoerd en met normale...

• Like 1

" I have good experiences with colorfabb Ngen Flex. Less warping, less creep under stress and higher temperatures, and no cracking."

Cool I look forward to your experiences with the print and then the riding. 🙂

I have printed 3 more with one in carbon fiber PLA to give away at next weeks group ride/overnight stay. (Along with some of the fuel cap hinge thingies.)

On 10/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, Wizbang said:

If you don't mind I'm going to link this in the 3d printable parts thread I have in the DIY section

• Like 1