Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Another rack question...

Canzvt

So, I'm undecided what to do. I have a Outback Motortek Pannier rack set up with the X-braces for my Rotopax. I also have Mosko Moto's Back Country 25L bag set. These work together if I fit a single Rotopax inside of the rack on the left side. The downside, is that with the Mosko's fitted, I'm getting wide. I do like the crash protection the racks provide mind you.

I am fitting Camel's pipe and tail tidy on when it gets here, and was going to modify the Outback racks to fit tight to the bodywork (cut/reshape/weld) giving me about 2.5 inches less width per side. The problem is that I do not have anywhere to fit the Rotopax. 

So, the options are: Fit a top rack - really like the B&B compact top rack, OR modify the Motortek racks further to lengthen them to accept one Rotopax on either side behind the Mosko's, OR scrap the Motorteck racks, and the Mosko bags altogether (someone might get a deal...) and go with Mosko's (or others) rackless system and fit anyone's top rack.

BTW, I'm running the OEM Rally seat. Also, not a huge fan of the Camel tank's look (no offence Corey). I know, its about practicality, but I only need large fuel capacity sometimes, hence the preference for the Rotopax.

Constructive guidance please.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Rally raid side rack + mosko rackless

You can mount the rotopax when needed and fit your mosko on it

• Like 1

There are so many options. I'm still playing with the T7 as try to get it as dialed as the DR650 it replaced. 

You can mount a 1 gallon rotopax on top of many top racks. Here in the Southwest, I'm usually carrying water on my top rack. The B&B Solo rack would likely accommodate two rotopax at the same time. B&B makes a version of their solo rack that works with the OEM rally seat. 

There are flexible and collapsable fuel bags. Mosko Moto makes attachment bags that attach to the panniers that could hold fuel bottles. If you have tank crash guards, you could put panniers on those for extra fuel . . . or water as I'll be doing when I tour again next summer.

Just saw Insane Rider's post. I'm currently using the Mosko Reckless 80 and RR soft luggage racks. I sold my Mosko 35 panniers. They were too wide!

Edited by Desert Mariner
  • Like 1

Ride adv in Australia make a high quality rack that sits low , forward and tighter then OM , it takes big bags and rotopax

there is a few others like this but the ride adv one looks best 

Edited by Stujamur
  • Like 3

I've ordered these

https://www.facebook.com/rideadv.com.au/videos/163550568274173/

These are a custom version of the Mototeck ones.

Mount close like rally raid, fits roto, then luggage. I have wolfman expedition. (but i wish i had bought andystrapz).

I havent fitted it and i havent used ADV luggage before so will post some pics later this week when its all fitted.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the feedback.

I like the Ride ADV designs and have watched this video. I'm looking to have the luggage AND rotopax at the same time, on each side. My bike is rider only, so have a bit more room lengthwise. Going to look at modifying my Outback Motortek sides to make them longer and fit the Mosko 25L in front, with room for rotopax behind the luggage all while hugging the bike. This rack might get a bit long, we'll see. Mocking it up tonight to take some measurements to see if it is actually possible.

I just need my Camel ADV exhaust to see if it will all actually fit...😉

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 2 months later...

I’ve just caved in after seeing the andystrapz frames. Expensive for what I want and from the other side of the world, but look very good quality. They’ll last forever, and protect the plastics and stop stuff bouncing around. Got a sw motech  rack so hopefully they fit together without too much work. I’ll post some pics when they’re fitted. These are from their website. Might even be able to adapt a peli case to fit if needed. 

3DEDDB77-BDA1-4806-8484-3FCE3470FC7A.png

743914BA-1EF5-4B8B-B8EC-A00C89287751.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

I’ve just caved in after seeing the andystrapz frames. Expensive for what I want and from the other side of the world, but look very good quality. They’ll last forever, and protect the plastics and stop stuff bouncing around. Got a sw motech  rack so hopefully they fit together without too much work. I’ll post some pics when they’re fitted. These are from their website. Might even be able to adapt a peli case to fit if needed. 

3DEDDB77-BDA1-4806-8484-3FCE3470FC7A.png

743914BA-1EF5-4B8B-B8EC-A00C89287751.png

Very nice and close to the side!  Protects the muffler on a tip over?

I just ordered the Giant Loop Gas Bag. Since I won't always need it, it can roll up and stash away.

When I do, I can just strap it down anywhere. 

Using Adventure Spec racks, there isnt really a place to put a RP. And when its empty, it is still taking up space.

I ordered a 2 gallon bag. Its a bit bigger than the 1 gallon, but I dont have to fill it up the whole way if I dont need it.

I also agree on the look of the Camel tank. Was really thinking about it, but for the cost and only getting 5 liters, I'd rather have the bag I can just not use if I dont need it.

1 hour ago, kainic said:

Very nice and close to the side!  Protects the muffler on a tip over?

Should do, I reckon my normal bags will be slightly wider than the can. I also have an ancient canvas tent which probably would act as a crash bar it’s so wide. Watch out pedestrians. 😁

• Haha 1

Are they evenly space (ie., symmetrical) on both sides or is the can side further pushed out?

Hate to start another rack question, but does anyone know which rear side racks are compatible with the big Yamaha rear top rack?  Getting a used T7, and the Yamaha rear rack is already in place.  Want rear side racks to protect exhaust without adding much more weight.  Already own Magadan bags from AS.  Would like to be able to use them.  

On 4/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, MoPops said:

Hate to start another rack question, but does anyone know which rear side racks are compatible with the big Yamaha rear top rack?  Getting a used T7, and the Yamaha rear rack is already in place.  Want rear side racks to protect exhaust without adding much more weight.  Already own Magadan bags from AS.  Would like to be able to use them.  

I wish I knew too lol. There's very few and far inbetween. Outback works I think. Andys works too. Batangacase also (might go with them). That's as far as I know.

EDIT: Other downside to Andy though is they dont work with high mount exhausts if you have to alter the OEM hanger bracket.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh and  they don't work with custom tail tidys or with luggage that's bigger than the top height of the OEM Yamaha rack..

Edited by loneranger700
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

I wish I knew too lol. There's very few and far inbetween. Outback works I think. Andys works too. Batangacase also (might go with them). That's as far as I know.

Thanks!  I had zero options before.  Andy’s makes good stuff.  I’ll have to check into them.  

15 hours ago, kainic said:

Are they evenly space (ie., symmetrical) on both sides or is the can side further pushed out?

Yup. They are above the can and symmetrical. The bags will only go as low as the exhaust bracket with the rear rack rails fitted to help so about 1-2 inches clear. I’m after a rally seat also which can only help. They sent it today so I’ll post pics of it fitted and loaded when it arrives so you can see if it suits your needs. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Kainic and mopops, I fitted the Andy strapz side racks last night at the same time as fitting the original rally seat and must say the quality is really good. Lightweight, close hugging and easy to fit. The only downside was the price from down under and the extra price you have to pay to collect it from parcel force(£65 vat and customs 🤮). But if I ignore that I must say I’m well happy with them. The seat is relevant as it also adds extra height to the bag straps to keep them away from the exhaust. My rear rack is a SW Motech and it’s designed to fit.
*it also is designed to fit on original Yamaha rear rack to answer a question further up this post.
I’ll put some photos up tonight. The only thing I’ll change with them are the bolts. I had to use extra washers on the sides as the shaft of the bolt was a bit too long to clamp it, and I also want nice stainless socket head ones. I’ll try loading her up this weekend. 

5D8E5C45-11DC-4DFF-BC3D-6AC6425A9208.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the OM setup myself. I’d suggest just buying the Camel Aux tank and be done with it. That, or if you just need extra fuel occasionally then order a roll up like the Giant Loop Roll Up Bag. I’m ordering the Camel since it looks like main tanks aren’t going to happen. 

30 minutes ago, NvNick said:

There is this choice as well 

I

I take it they’re new on the market? Not seen those before. Really nice. Good price too. Probably work out about £150 delivered in uk. Just what i (and lots of others by the sound of it) was after. I bet we’ll see a load more options coming. I tried getting Givi to admit they’ll be making one. They’ll miss out if they’re not quick. 
couldn’t wait any longer though. Travel restrictions lifted. Suns out. Pubs open. 

9B7A2AA2-E089-4B8D-A64E-700AA70C2DA3.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s what bags look like. Only thrown on loose. Nothing touches the plastics. 

image.jpg

836F9378-0EB2-43F1-BB49-17418E3D25E1.jpeg

• Like 2